Aston Villa - Man Utd Dec 17th [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Motterman, Dec 15, 2005.

1. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Come on 50, you know us Irish don't pass out... we transcend conciousness.

Same reason why our pubs are filled with artists and poets, while in every other country in the world, they're just drunks.

2. littleman

littleman Member

Oct 18, 2005
    :D :D :D

3. StrikerCW

StrikerCW Member

Jul 10, 2001
    Perth, WA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welcome to the land of the Brave.

Please have lots of fun and get too trashed for me, as I will not be for a while :(

4. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

71 pages of college work? Joizus Chroist :eek:

5. listen_up_fergie

listen_up_fergie New Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Montreal
    I'm looking forward to this game, despite the early kick-off. We usually do well at Villa Park, and with Aston Villa's current run of form we really should get all three points. The Villans will have problems at the back because Mellberg is out - Ruud and Rooney will have to capitalize on this. I reckon Fergie will play the same line-up he did against Wigan, although I think we could see Ronaldo coming in for Fletcher. I really can't see Fletcher being able to get the better of Bouma and managing to create chances. I'd certainly prefer to see Ronaldo there for this game even though he has looked poor since that Benfica game. Hopefully they'll play an open game against us with a 4-4-2, and not pack their midfield with five men.

Brown did well against Wigan, so even if Silvestre has recovered he should keep his place.

Line-up:
    ........................VDS..........................
    Neville........Rio...........Brown........O'Shea
    Ronaldo......Smith......Scholes..........Giggs
    ................Ronaldo.....Ruud...................
    Subs: Howard, Saha, Fletcher, Park, Bardo

It's a shame that there isn't space for Rossi on the bench. At least we're likely to see him against Birmingham in the Carling Cup game along with Ole :)

I reckon Scholes will be man of the match for this one...2-0 to United with several chances created but not converted.

6. zhiyi.

zhiyi. Member

Sep 29, 2004
    Singapore
    Rooney won't be playing?

7. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Listen Up Fergie misspelled Roonaldo up front with Ruud.

8. Kavster

Kavster New Member

May 16, 2004
    Brighton, UK
    :eek: ;) :D

Good thoughts btw.

9. K_19

K_19 New Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    I wonder how fit both Scholes and Giggs are at the moment? They have been without a shadow of a doubt two of our best players over the last few weeks or so, but this week's schedule has been grueling and I wouldn't be surprised if they are tired out a bit. With that in mind, as much as I would like to see them out there, I'd perhaps give them a rest so they wouldn't overexert themselves...

Here's what I'm thinking if that was the case:

--------------VDS------------------
    GNev-----Rio---------Wes-----O'Shea
    -----------Smith--------------------
    -------------------Scholes-----------
    Fletcher----------------------Ronaldo
    -----------Rooney--------------------
    --------------------RVN--------------

As our options in the center are pretty thin, and since I'd like for at least one of Giggs and Scholes to start obviously, I'd give Giggs a rest in favour of Ronaldo... Park played against Everton, Fletch played against Wigan, and it's only fair that Ronaldo gets a shot this time. And I very much doubt SAF will bench Fletch after that great performance he had against Wigan (I wouldn't bench him, either)... If things go bad and Giggs is needed, then I guess throw him in there. But I say he rests fully if possible.

If Scholes should be given a rest, then...

--------------VDS------------------
    GNev-----Rio---------Wes-----O'Shea
    -----------Fletcher--------------------
    -------------------Smith-------------
    Ronaldo-------------------------Giggs
    -----------Rooney--------------------
    --------------------RVN--------------

Or whatever works. I'd like to see Ronaldo start this time around either way, and for at least one of Scholes or Giggs to rest (but if they feel fantastic and is not tired out at all, then by all means go with the same lineup as the Wigan game)

As for the bench, it'll be usual suspects, I guess. Howard, Park, one of scholes/giggs/ronaldo, Saha, Bardsley, etc. I really wonder if Richardson has fallen out of favour completely... him or Rossi are probably the last cuts here.

10. listen_up_fergie

listen_up_fergie New Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Montreal
    :eek:

Would be interesting to try out Ronaldo as a striker someday, but only when its better days. I figure if his tendency to hold on to the ball too long when he plays as a winger affects the team's rhythm then maybe his tricks and dribbles would be best served beating the last man at the back.

11. StrikerCW

StrikerCW Member

Jul 10, 2001
    Perth, WA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactlly.

12. peepers

peepers Member

Nov 7, 2005
    I don't know why Ronaldo has been used as a sub these past few matches but I hope he starts tomorrow. Now that United don't have the Champions League pressure on them, they should be starting with the strongest team they have. Of course my expertise as a armchair manager is not to good but everything looks easier from a overview than at ground level. Ronaldo can play at either flank so he could start instead of Giggs and have Park on the other side.Giggs seems to have slowed down since he signed the extention, but that could be my misconception. I just have to make sure I have enough smokes rolled for the match that starts at 4:30am my time here on the west coast. Coming off the Wigan win, there will be a lot of confidence showing. Go United.

13. Sapphire

Sapphire Moderator

Jun 29, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with you in theory, but in reality, Ronaldo's starting on the bench and subbing in has corresponded to our playing very well (I know people disagree with my assessment that we played well throughout the Pompey game, but I stand by it.) The question for me is, is this arrangement a coincidence, or is it fundemental to our recent form and lack thereof? I say we keep doing what wins us games, especially in this nightmare of a season.

14. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    I think you have answered your own question.

15. peepers

peepers Member

Nov 7, 2005

Does this mean that I can have raisin toast while watching the match.

16. littleman

littleman Member

Oct 18, 2005
    The day has ended and now it's a long wait till 7:30 tomorrow morning..

17. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

I don't think I'm going to sleep, I have a sh!tload of studying to do anyway, the past two weeks have been some of the most stressfull of my life. I had three finals, and have the two most difficult to go, and I really don't feel as though I can cram any more infor into my brain. Phew.

18. littleman

littleman Member

Oct 18, 2005
    I finished my finals today :D:D

Well, the past three weeks have been quite hellish for me. It really was quite painful, so I know how you must be feeling right now. Take a break, go ta bed, so your brain can start reabsorbing :D

19. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

How long is your break over there?

20. littleman

littleman Member

Oct 18, 2005
    Next semester starts January 7th or 8th I think.. so I have about 3 weeks :D

21. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Sounds about right, same here, sure could use a full month though.

22. Numquam Moribimur

May 30, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

I have off till the 20th.....and the 22nd is the forum meet up in NYC :D

23. littleman

littleman Member

Oct 18, 2005
    :mad: Gayer!

24. peepers

peepers Member

Nov 7, 2005
    I'll have to rest up for the match, there will be three matches in a row. First will be Aston Villa v United, Then West Ham v Newcastle, And City v Birmingham. So my morning will be full. The last time United received this much televised matches on Rogers Sports, United won the treble. So hopefully we can keep the pressure on Chelsea and scoop the title. United play quite a few matches in Dec. So here's to the win over A.V.