Assists question

Discussion in 'Statistics and Analysis' started by ncguy, Sep 28, 2005.

1. ncguy

ncguy New Member

Jan 28, 2002
    NC
    Is the assist stat an American invention?

2. numerista

numerista New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Interesting question. It almost certainly came from another sport (hockey?), but I'm not sure how to find out.

3. Ray Luca

Ray Luca BigSoccer Yellow Card

Feb 2, 2005
    I think it is concerning soccer. Our interpretation of what is an assist is interesting as well. My only definition of an assist is a pass that leads to a goal and not the secondary pass the pass that leads to another pass that leads to a goal that is nonsense. That is why you see guys that have ordinary vision that have 13 assists it is a joke. Then dumb Nationakl team coaches give them a look at offensive mid when they can't make a pass that leads to a goal in a real game to save their arse.

4. thesportingrogue

thesportingrogue New Member

Sep 28, 2005
    Kingsport, TN
    Hmmm, maybe the assist should be the best pass of a goal-scoring sequence.

5. Ray Luca

Feb 2, 2005
    Maybe the best pass was the distribution by the keeper five passes before the goal was scored right?

6. Auxodium

Auxodium New Member

Apr 11, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    well i have not seen any league keep records of 'assists' besides the MLS and after the MLS most leagues do now so i think it is a very american thing as basketball is a game that has assist stats as an important feature of that game.

just another way of americans 'americanising' football.

just like shut out for clean sheet etc.
    :) Go DC! :D

7. Ray Luca

Feb 2, 2005
    I will tell you a dumb way to "Americanize Football" Changing the Brooklyn italians club name to the Brooklyn Dodgers did it in 1978 unbeliably stupid. Corrected it later back to Brooklyn Italians but it does confuse the history of the club some what. Look at the history of the open cup aka challenge cup another name change and you see Brooklyn Dodges winning it that year and not the brooklyn italians. Some people mught say who the hell was the brooklyn Dodgers.

8. sec131

sec131 New Member

May 2, 2004
    Related Questions:
    Are there documented guidelines defining what constitutes an assist ? Examples:
    Do you credit an assist for a corner kick that a team mate finishes ?
    Do you credit an assist for a free kick that a team mate finishes ?

9. Ray Luca

Feb 2, 2005
    it is written out in MLS and the other minor leagues and in college.

On both of your questions yes.

10. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The 2ndary assist was a great idea, but it got f'ed up when MLS almost immediately began giving it automatically to the penultimate pass. It took the NHL a half century to f' it up.

11. TomEaton

TomEaton Member

Mar 5, 2000
    Champaign, IL
    Actually, I didn't think the second assist had much of an effect. Often a player would be credited with an assist that really wasn't an attacking pass, but those numbers tended to be distributed throughout the team by the end of the year. Rarely did a player end up among the league leaders in assists by making a lot of secondary assists. One that did was Ian Bishop in 2002, but I can't think of anybody else.