Assassin's Creed 2

Discussion in 'Video and Computer Games' started by Dills, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I knew I was playing MW2 too much when I was walking around downtown the other day and was looking for sniper spots.

2. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    AC2 is definitely a nice change of pace after all the MW2 frustration.

Loving all of the new features I encountered so far.

3. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do that anyway. What?

Anywho, I just played the mission on AC2 where you get to fly Leonardo's flying machine. I'm a regular killing machine now. There are a wider variety of ways to kill, and in most cases there are multiple ways to accomplish a mission. Some of the non-story side assassinations are really cool. I like how you can distract a target and then just walk up and poison the dude; some of the missions require that kind of move to accomplish an assassination in a crowd without being "made".

One of my favorite non-storyline assassination missions involved wiping out more than TEN of those "brute" guards walking in two groups in a 60 second window. Waited until they got right next to each other, then I ran up in there and dropped a smoke bomb, and then used my double blades to wipe everyone out in about 10 seconds. It was badass.

This game is really, really fun.

4. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    The one thing that kind of annoys me is the incongruity of him blending into crowds.

In the first game, there were tons of bunches of cowled figures around that you could legitimately believe he could hide in from pursuers. Standing in the middle of a group of hookers he's not exactly inconspicuous.

5. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OTOH, it's an improvement that you can blend into general crowds instead of only roaming groups of scholars. The new mechanic works really well when you are trying to tail someone, or get close without being noticed. It's a little less believable if you're trying to ditch someone actively looking for you.

I've been sniffed out when sitting on a bench more than once. The nice thing is that if you are quick, you can assassinate the guy and set him down on the bench before he manages to attack you.

I also like the mechanic of hiring mercs, hookers, or thieves and employing them to your advantage. I've actually hired mercs to start a fight so I can sneak up on one of the fighters to poison him, because I had to eliminate the target without being noticed.

6. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just beat the game, and holy schnikes, that got weird. This is also the first game I've ever gotten a 100% on, or even gotten all of the achievements. And I did not sniff out the big plot point at the end. I mean, I figured out part of it, but it wasn't what I was expecting.

Don't worry about finishing up everything before the last mission (the one to a city other than the ones you've been tooling about in). After the end credits, you get thrown back into Renaissance Italy to tool around. I already finished everything, so... Also, I think it slightly breaks the storytelling impact not to end on the closing credits of this particular game. I understand why they did it, but, I kinda wish they hadn't.

Anyway, loved it. Looking forward to the third. Anybody want a used copy for the 360 in excellent condition?

7. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    might need to get this then

played the first and it was pretty average...

8. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I felt the same on the first one too but the second is just awesome.

9. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I finished it the other night, great great game. I went back last night to collect all the feathers, and am at 97 and I have NO friggin clue where to find the other 3. All I have left are two achievements and they're tied into the feathers. Frustrated to say the least.

10. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks... well I got all 100 and the last 2 achievements. It's been a while since I got all the achievements and 1000 points for a game. Felt good.

Now I've started playing the original CoD that came with my copy of MW2.

12. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AC2 DLC revealed ...

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/105/1050718p1.html

They are supposed to be $3.99 and $4.99, respectively.

13. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, that's cheap. Makes me wish I didn't sell the game. I'm not suprised the content relates to Caterina Sforza; the game hinted strongly that Ezio had some kind of relationship with her (I don't mean romantically, either, just that she was powerful/important, and that Ezio would have dealings with her... they just never materialized in the rest of the game).

14. churchill2000

churchill2000 3x MLS Cup Champions

Jul 12, 2004
    Monde Virtuel
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Seems a little fishy to me that DLC is released rather soon . . . much like Borderlands.

Oh, well.

I'll consider re-renting the game again to play the maps.

15. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, it's pretty obvious that this DLC was planned for. In a far more specific way than "hey, we should include some DLC". Like I said, there were hints of this in the main storyline.

I kinda wondered how DLC would work with a game like this. I figured it would mostly be the insertion of additional crypts and the such.

16. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Something about "corrupted data" (according to one of the articles I read).

17. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. And you interact with Sforza in a very non-important way, and the dialog forshadows additional interactions.

18. srd....

srd.... Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Cork City.
    Picked it up on Friday night played about 8 hours and it's crashed so I've to start over again....

Brilliant :mad:

19. Uppa 90

Uppa 90 Member

Jan 16, 2004
    K.C. MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i have been putting in a lot of time on this and am just now halfway through the viewpoints... feels like i am not really making much progress for how much i time i have actually spent on it... but yeah... i am entertained... maybe not as much as the first one, but not by much, imo

20. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    auto save?

21. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I ordered my copy thru Amazon on Dec 28th. They used a delivery service I've never heard of before - A-1 Courier Services - who alleges they attempted to deliver the package 2 times (which is ridiculous considering I was home at the times they claim). So then, as of Dec 31st, they dropped it in the mail, and now it's in the USPS's hands. Still not here ...

:(

22. srd....

srd.... Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Cork City.
    Yeah it auto saves every time you pretty much do anything.

Finished it now good game but buggy like the first, I'd three crashes one of which was the restart.
    And twice during the game i'd the enemy markers get stuck on screen until I restarted the game.

23. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    never got even one crash .... are you 360 or ps3?

24. Uppa 90

Uppa 90 Member

Jan 16, 2004
    K.C. MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ... and finished with it... 1000/1000

pretty fun... i may have to find the explanation for the ending... my wife managed to interrupt several times at critical moments...

25. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah man, I didn't know I had to collect all the Codex pages to advance to the end of the game. I stopped collecting those things a long time ago.