Ask the Taxman, v. 2008

Discussion in 'Finance, Investing & Economy' started by wcharriscpa, Dec 28, 2007.

1. wcharriscpa

wcharriscpa Member

Arsenal FC
    Dec 26, 2000
    Austin
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you're referring to the federal Schedule A Line 5, it's no problem to check box A (for state income taxes) one year and box B (sales taxes) the next. You are free to pick which one you want to deduct, and you may change year-to-year.

With respect to deducting state income taxes on your federal return, you want to deduct the amount of taxes you paid in 2007 - whether paid through withholding, estimated tax payments, or 2007 payments made with your '06 return.

Sounds like you can include both your 2007 withholding, plus whatever amount you paid in 2007 for 2006 taxes. Be sure to exclude any overpayment if you're looking at a state refund for 2007.

2. yimmy

yimmy Moderator

Aug 23, 2004
    California
    When you say the amount I paid in 2007 for 2006 taxes, can I assume that for me, that amount is zero because I got a refund on my state income tax last year? Or does that amount also include the taxes that were paid for by my witholdings?

3. wcharriscpa

wcharriscpa Member

Arsenal FC
    Dec 26, 2000
    Austin
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not necessarily, no.

In your earlier comment, you referred to "all of the $$$ that I paid in March 2007 for my 2006 state income tax return."

What, exactly, were you paying?

Amounts withheld in 2007, yes.

4. wcharriscpa

wcharriscpa Member

Arsenal FC
    Dec 26, 2000
    Austin
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe this IRS link will help:

1040 Line 10 instructions (scroll down to "Line 10):

5. yimmy

yimmy Moderator

Aug 23, 2004
    California
    Sorry for the confusion. :eek:

How about this hypothetical situation.
    Let's say that back in March of 2007 I was preparing my 2006 state income tax return. I think I ended up paying about $6K in state income tax but since $8K was withheld during the calendar year of 2006, I got a refund for $2K. Now fast forward to the present and I'm now preparing my 2007 state income tax return. I think I will owe about $7K for in state income tax but I think I will receive a $2K refund b/c of $9K being withheld during the calendar year of 2007. Now I need to prepare my federal return for 2007. How much should I list on line 5 of Form 1040 Schedule A?

6. wcharriscpa

wcharriscpa Member

Arsenal FC
    Dec 26, 2000
    Austin
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    $9K.

But if you rolled any of the 2006 overpayment ($2K) into 2007, be sure to include that amount too.

7. yimmy

yimmy Moderator

Aug 23, 2004
    California
    I didn't roll any of the 2006 overpayment into 2007. I just collected the check and spent it. :eek:

If I claim $9K on line 5 and get a $2K return, does that $2k count as income that I need to account for on next year's return?

BTW, many thanks!

8. wcharriscpa

wcharriscpa Member

Arsenal FC
    Dec 26, 2000
    Austin
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe.

(Probably.)

See the above link to federal Form 1040 line 10 that will provide instructions.....and a worksheet.

:)

9. wcharriscpa

wcharriscpa Member

Arsenal FC
    Dec 26, 2000
    Austin
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. pkays1

pkays1 New Member

May 14, 2006
    Is there a cap on student loan interest deductions?

also, is there a cap on donation(such as church donations) deductions?

thanks gurus!

11. wcharriscpa

wcharriscpa Member

Arsenal FC
    Dec 26, 2000
    Austin
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. See Pub 970 - Tax Benefits for Education

Yes. See Publication 526 - Charitable Contributions

12. pkays1

pkays1 New Member

May 14, 2006
    thanks a lot wcharriscpa,

last question pls, can i deduct expenses incurred towards career/educational enhancement? say for example i wanted to invest in a couple of professional certifications, so i spend $500 on 3 microsoft certification exams, can i deduct this?

thanks.

13. FNU

FNU BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Hey Taxman, are you familiar with Corp. Reorganizations?

14. dead_man

dead_man Member

Apr 26, 2008
    Manhattan Beach
    Hello,

Does the first in, first out rule on stock sales apply across taxable accounts at separate brokerages? I own stock in the same company in two taxable accounts, and I sell the more recent purchase with the higher basis in one account. Does the fact that I can match the sale and purchase by account cover my tax lot accounting requirements for identifying the shares I sold?

Thanks in advance