Asia's 4.5 spots go to... ( Predictions )

Discussion in 'Asian Football Confederation' started by Mani, Nov 18, 2004.

1. picaraza

picaraza New Member

Jul 27, 2003
    California
    United States v. South Korea
    ----------------------------
    1987 0-1 SK
    1989 2-1 US
    1994 1-0 US
    1994 1-1 Tie
    2001 0-1 SK
    2002 2-1 US
    2002 1-1 Tie (WC in South Korea)

United States 3-2-2
    South Korea 2-2-3

It is your opinion that South Korea would beat the US "6 or 7" times out of ten. The fact is that the United States has the better of South Korea in their 7 matches.

The United States and Japan have only played once in their history. A game in Japan that the Japanese won 3-1 in 1993.

Alright, but that is why we play the game. We'll see. As you say... history is to be made.

Take it easy.

Also, this was all compiled very quickly with nothing but a cup of coffee and Google. Please correct any errors... thanx.

2. ilbaasha

ilbaasha New Member

Oct 27, 2004
    Kuwait City
    to be honest, but not quite sure, I may agree!!!

how's Yousef Hadgi man? I haven't heard about him for ages!

best of luck in the qualifiers

3. ilbaasha

ilbaasha New Member

Oct 27, 2004
    Kuwait City
    I can't be asked mate :D

thanks for the effort anyhows

4. Holyjoe

Holyjoe Member

Jul 15, 2003
    ROK/SCO
    All the times that Korea and the USA have faced each other at international level. The 1988 Olympics game was between the two full international sides, as was the Korea-based Presidents Cup competitions of 1983 and 1987.

USA v South Korea (data from www.kfa.or.kr)

1956: Korea 1-0 USA (friendly)
    1983: Korea 2-0 USA (Presidents Cup)
    1987: Korea 1-0 USA (Presidents Cup)
    1988: Korea 0-0 USA (Olympics)
    1989: Korea 2-1 USA (Marlboro Cup)
    1994: Korea 0-1 USA (friendly)
    1994: Korea 1-1 USA (friendly)
    2001: Korea 1-0 USA (friendly)
    2002: Korea 1-2 USA (Gold Cup)
    2002: Korea 1-1 USA (World Cup)

Korea: 5-3-2
    USA: 2-3-5

So now Korea has a better record ;)

Anyway, both countries should be playing a friendly match in LA in January, so that will be game eleven :)

5. Holyjoe

Holyjoe Member

Jul 15, 2003
    ROK/SCO
    Korea won the match in 1989, so in actual fact even if you take just the seven matches above then Korea have the better of the USA.

1987 0-1 SK
    1989 2-1 SK
    1994 1-0 US
    1994 1-1 Tie
    2001 0-1 SK
    2002 2-1 US
    2002 1-1 Tie (WC in South Korea)

United States 2-2-3
    South Korea 3-2-2

6. picaraza

picaraza New Member

Jul 27, 2003
    California
    Holyjoe,

I found no record of the games in 1956 and 1983. The fact that you included the 1988 result from the Olympic Games leads me to suspect that you are lumping in results that do not belong to our senior squad.

Apologies for the 1989 error. Yes, I was wrong South Korea defeated the United States 2-1 in 1989 and not the other way around.

If I am wrong then apologies for that as well.

In any case, what is wrong with you guys. By your own records South Korea won 4 of the first 5 meetings with one draw. And since then its all been down hill. The US 2-2-1 since 1994. ;)

7. Holyjoe

Holyjoe Member

Jul 15, 2003
    ROK/SCO
    First of all I'm not Korean, I just live here ;)

Anyway, as far as the Olympic Games are concerned in 1988... I believe that the United States sent pretty much their full international squad to that tournament. Back then (courtesy of Wikipedia, the rules stated that African, Asian and Oceania countries could field their full international sides, and that European and American sides could field anyone who hadn't previously played at a World Cup - since the USA hadn't qualified since 1950 that wouldn't have been a problem for them (unless their careers were really long!)

The USA team for their opening Olympic match against Argentina featured nine of the thirteen players who played in the World Cup qualifier against Jamaica one month previously (teams courtesy of RSSSF Olympics and RSSSF USA pages):

Jamaica game: David Vanole, Steve Trittschuh, Mike Windischmann (Hugo Pérez 46'), Kevin Crow, Desmond Armstrong, Paul Krumpe, Rick Davis, Brian Bliss, Jim Gabarra (Bruce Murray 64'), Frank Klopas, Peter Vermes

Argentina game: Vanole - Armstrong, Caligiuri, Crow, Bliss - Krumpe, Davis, Murray, Ramos(75'Harkes) - Vermes, Goulet(69'Windischmann).

and seven of them featured against South Korea two days later:

Korea game: Vanole - Krumpe, Caligiuri, Crow, Bliss - Davis, Ramos(46'Doyle), Harkes(77'Stollmeyer), Armstrong - Goulet, Klopas.

-----------------

Upon further investigation I found out that the 1956 friendly involved the full Korean international side but only the USA Olympic side, so I guess that one's out (but that depends on whether the Olympic team was actually the full national side, as there wasn't a pro league in the USA back then as far as I'm aware... hmmm...)
    The 1983 game was also the same - full Korean side versus USA Olympic side (although again the same doubts apply). This was in Busan on 10th June 1983 and Jo Min-guk scored both Korean goals. The tournament had club sides in it that year as well as the national teams of Indonesia, Nigeria and Thailand - PSV Eindhoven won the actual tournament beating Korea 3-2 in the final.

The ten games are all listed as full internationals for the Korean team (this is the page that lists them all, if you can read the Korean ;) ) which is where I got the three extra games from. This page says they were all full internationals, yet elsewhere on their site they say that the Olympic teams were the actual opponents.

So erm... maybe discount two of them, possibly three if you remove the 1988 Olympic game too. But the other seven are still okay!

8. um_chili

um_chili Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    Losanjealous
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting stuff about the history between the two sides. Regardless of their accuracy, I think any results prior to 1990 are entirely irrelevant for comparing the current US and SK teams. In fact, I'd go so far as to venture that the only relevant games are the ones played in the last couple of years (2001-present), which put the teams dead even: 1-1-1, 0 GD, 3 GS apiece. It doesn't get much closer than that, although two of the three games were played on Korean soil, giving them an advantage.

9. Holyjoe

Holyjoe Member

Jul 15, 2003
    ROK/SCO
    22nd January 2005 is supposed to be the date of a friendly between both sides in the USA, so we can use that one to gauge how the teams are ;)

10. picaraza

picaraza New Member

Jul 27, 2003
    California
    Holy Joe,

Thanks, for the research.

I agree with um_chili that U.S. results prior to 1990 aren't all that relevant to the discussion at hand-- the relative strengths of the the current American and Korean sides. (We won't want to bring in results from the 1950s to assess the current strength of Hungary's national squad now would we?)

I did the initial (albeit faulty, research) to counter ibaasha's claim that either Japan or South Korea would win 6-7 out of 10 against an American side. Surely, an absurd claim. If that (incredible) South Korea side couldn't roll the United States at home in 2002, they aren't going to win 7 out of 10 against an ever-improving (and deep) American squad.

11. picaraza

picaraza New Member

Jul 27, 2003
    California
    Sorry, I didn't know about this match. I'd like to see Korea show up for the Gold Cup again. Seeing that Japan is representing Asia in the Confederations Cup, maybe we see them in July as well.

12. daraverla

daraverla New Member

Dec 6, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sorry to disappoint you fellas. But unfortunately, Korea will not (more likely, cannot) field the best NT on that day. Some of the clubs in Europe and Japan who have current Korean NT players and who played pivotal roles in WC 2002 stated that they will not let the players travel all the way to the States for a friendly match.

As a result, Korean NT will field the best 22 players from the Korean league, and most likely you will see new emerging players from the Olympic squad in this roster.

BTW, since the players will be field from the Korean league, you will see alot of kick-boxing, high-kick, drop-kick, etc during the match.

Just dont blame us for not warning you guys.

13. SS2006

SS2006 Member

Oct 30, 2004
    London, Canada
    u forgot north korea and south korea's world cup records, as well as japans in ur little list

14. picaraza

picaraza New Member

Jul 27, 2003
    California
    Um, no I didn't.
    The discussion was about the relative strengths of AFC and CONCACAF squads between 1982-1994. (I included 1978 by mistake).

North Korea's only World Cup was in 1966.

I don't believe that South Korea won a game in the World Cup prior to 2002.

Here are the records for 1998 (Japan's first appearance).

------
    Saudi Arabia 3 0 1 2 2-7 2
    MEXICO 3 1 2 0 7-5 5
    South Korea 3 0 1 2 2-9 1
    Iran 3 1 0 2 2-4 3
    United States 3 0 0 3 1-5 0
    Jamaica 3 1 0 2 3-9 3
    Japan 3 0 0 3 1-4 0

Mexico is the only team that advanced out of the group stages.

Iran defeated the United States 2-1
    Jamaica defeated Japan 2-1
    Mexico defeated South Korea 3-1

Still looking pretty good for CONCACAF....

15. nxttc

nxttc Member+

Jul 14, 2004
    a game that completely dominated by the koreans. if the koreans were more clinical in their finishing, it would have been a very ugly game for the united states. (although clint mathis' goal was an excellent goal, that was about the only attempt on goal mustered by the usa. fridel also had the game of his life that day) plus, remember, i love how americans always forget, that they wouldn't have advanced to the knock-out stages if korea didn't beat portugal. no matter how much they can pat themselves on the back for reaching to the semis, none of it would have happen if it weren't for korea downing portugal. (all korea and portugal had to do was draw and both were advancing.)

the us is getting better though, and the 22nd of january will be a good showing of kleague and mls talent.

16. Holyjoe

Holyjoe Member

Jul 15, 2003
    ROK/SCO
    Watch a lot of the K-League, do you? :rolleyes:

17. YCashMoney42

YCashMoney42 Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Seoul
    US and Korea always end up being a good competitive game...

18. YCashMoney42

YCashMoney42 Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Seoul

am I the only one that disagree with this comment?

because you left out all the best teams in Europe and comparing the second half of the Europeans team and Best teams of Asia...

which makes my comment being 4.5 is too many ticket for Asia

19. picaraza

picaraza New Member

Jul 27, 2003
    California
    That is a mighty big if you got there.

Maybe if South Korea had fielded a team of Brazilian players they would've won 5-0.

20. ilbaasha

ilbaasha New Member

Oct 27, 2004
    Kuwait City
    thanks for considering Kuwait at their worst among the best teams in Asia :D

but, yeah I agree with you, except on the point that 4.5 are too many for Asia.

picaraza, are you a statistician by any chance? ;) because I am really impressed by your work, and confused too!!! Thanks for the massive effort :)

21. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    MLS, plus maybe Euro based youngin's, vs. K league. I know very little about the K league and quite a bit about MLS so I say the MLS best, when healthy, eleven would be:

---------------Cannon
    --Albright--Pope--Marshall--Gibbs
    ---------------Mastro
    ----Mullan--Dempsey--Gaven
    ---------Johnson--Twellman

22. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I understand everything correctly, the draw will be on 12/9/04 and that the teams will be seeded by FIFA rankings. Since there are no more rankings coming out until then, that means that the current rank of teams by FIFA:

1. Japan
    2. Iran
    3. South Korea
    4. Saudi Arabia
    5. Bahrain
    6. Uzbekistan
    7. Kuwait
    8. North Korea

Using standard seeding procedure that would leave:

Group A:
    Japan
    Saudi Arabia
    Bahrain
    North Korea

Group B:
    Iran
    South Korea
    Uzbekistan
    Kuwait

That would mean Japan can likely buy their tickets to Germany. Group B looks tough and means a lot of travel for South Korea.

23. ilbaasha

ilbaasha New Member

Oct 27, 2004
    Kuwait City
    Pots have already been decided and the ranking is according to 2002 I guess

Pot A
    Japan and SK

Pot B
    Iran and KSA

Pot C
    Uzbekistan and Bahrain

Pot D
    NK and Kuwait

so the groups you mentioned are still possible, but SK and Japan can't be in the same group, so can't KSA and Iran.

24. ilbaasha

ilbaasha New Member

Oct 27, 2004
    Kuwait City
  25. picaraza

picaraza New Member

Jul 27, 2003
    California
    So is there a "draw" at all?

If Japan and South Korea cannot be grouped together; and Iran and Saudi Arabia cannot be grouped together (as indicated by ibaasha), there isn't much chance involved is there?

Am I misunderstanding the meaning of the word "draw" and assuming that there must be some random elements?