Asian Cup to be expanded to 24 teams + Combined Asia Cup and World Cup qualifiers

Discussion in 'AFC: Tournaments' started by teammellieIRANfan, Apr 19, 2014.

1. teammellieIRANfan

Feb 28, 2009
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Asian Cup to be expanded to 24 teams

Asian football's governing body has announced an expansion of the flagship AFC Asian Cup from 16 to 24 teams but killed off the lower-level Challenge Cup as part of a regional shake-up.

The 2019 Asian Cup will climb to 24 teams but next month's Challenge Cup in the Maldives will be the last, the Asian Football Confederation (AFC) said.

Preliminary qualifying for the Asian Cup and FIFA World Cup™ will also be combined, the body said following an executive committee meeting. Teams will be divided among eight groups with the pool winners and four best-placed second sides reaching both the Asian Cup and the final World Cup qualifiers.

The next 24 best teams will be split into six groups of four to battle it out for the remaining Asian Cup spots, the AFC said in a statement.

http://www.fifa.com/world-match-centre/news/newsid/231/992/1/index.html

2. Team Melli forever

Jul 11, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Not bad I like the changes, eliminates a lot of unnecessary games during the qualifiers while giving a chance to lower ranked teams to compete with the best much more often.

3. edrees

edrees Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Its a great idea - if it flows through like we all want it too... 46 teams, split into 8 groups etc..

but, there are concerns:
    - How will the seeds and groupings work?
    Will it be based on Fifa rankings?
    Based on previous World Cup qualification games?
    Will it be based by region (similar to the youth qualification?)
    - After the draw, will any lower team withdraw as per usual course (eg AFC Youth qualifications) because given that its qualification for the WC and 4 2nd best places are offered, there will be alot of sensitivity if some groups are 4 and some are 6.
    - The lower tier nations entering, do they have enough finances to be travelling around Asia to play in qualifications (a min of 8 games - if 46 enter, 8 groups of 5 and 6). The likes of Bhutan, Cambodia, Timor Leste, will they enter and then mid-way through withdraw due to finances? and if so what will AFC do to ensure all teams entered have a equal chance of qualification..

4. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I think the success of this scheme depends on the willingness of nations to participate in the qualifiers. I'm not convinced about 24 teams. I think having 3rd placed teams go through to the knock out rounds leads to defensive group play. I'm less fussed aboiut the quality of teams. No tournament anywhere has 24 teams with a chance of winning. I think the 3rd placed teams qualifying affects the quality of group play rather than having moree teams.

5. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    24 teams is too many for AC. We're only JUST getting to the point of having a real quality AC with 16 teams. 2011 Qatar in football terms was a great Asian Cup, and I expect 2015 in Australia to be great too (even if the poor Challenge cup winner gets rolled).

6. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    #6 Suren01, Apr 22, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
    16-24 according to the FIFA Rankings:

Vietnam, Afghanistan, Syria, Tajikistan, North Korea, Thailand, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore.

I can assure you that none of the above will be an addition.. :ROFLMAO:

7. (De La)Redstriker06

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    So the way it works is the eight group winners in WCQ along with the top 4 second place finishers get automatic qualification to the Asian Cup. The bottom 10 (assuming all 46 participate) get dropped. Teams 13-36 compete for the final 12 places.

The only thing I don't like about this setup is that the ranking weighs NT performance as 30%. Performance of clubs at continental level is weighted 70%. This essentially means you can spend your way to a better seeding. The big winners here are China and Thailand.

8. fridge46

fridge46 Member

Oct 23, 2011
    That ranking only applies to club competitions to determine allocation and start round for each country.

The Asian Cup/World Cup qualifiers will still be seeded off FIFA World Rankings.

9. edrees

edrees Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Agree- that ranking is for AFC Club competitions... not WCQ / AC. The qualifiers will be based on Fifa ranking and/or previous World Cup / Asian Cup qualification results.

I am still unsure of how the 4 best 2nd placed teams will qualify, through goal difference or play off... play off will be far better to determine who is worthy for to be on course to qualify for World Cup (not Goal Difference - as sometimes might be lucky to have a Bhutan or Cambodia in there group (no offence to the nations)

10. (De La)Redstriker06

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    Also worth considering that the examples quoted in the press feature 48 teams. AFC only has 46- 47 if we include NMI.

I think what might end up happening is that some teams will be in a group of six, while others will be in a group of five.

Assuming full participation 4 groups of five and another 4 groups of six = 46. This would necessitate dropping results against the bottom team in four groups. Results against the following teams would not be factored in (if the FIFA rankings were taken into consideration today):

Macau, Brunei, Timor-Leste, Bhutan, Mongolia, and Cambodia.

11. edrees

edrees Member

Nov 28, 2005
    That would be ideal to drop the points gained from the 6th place teams...
    However, I still believe, being it for a World Cup Spot, all teams who get 2nd place, should be pitted in a 2 legged playoff to qualify for the final round...

I am just wondering, the preliminary round of 8 groups, will it be 1 round or 2.... all teams play each other once or twice.

mdhm repped this.
  12. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I think a lot will depend on the FIFA calendar. If we had full home and away throughout incuding playoffs amongst second placed teams for World Cup qualifying we would need

Round 1 (1st Group stage) 10 match days

Round 2 (Playoffs) 2 match days

Round 3 (2nd Group stage) 10 match days

Round 4 (inter group playoff) 2 match days

Round 5 (inter continental playoff) 2 match days

A total of 26 dates. If we were to utilise only FIFA dates for these matches the process would need to begin by the October match days in 2015.​

13. edrees

edrees Member

Nov 28, 2005
    I dont think Qualifying will start that early, but than again, if AFC are serious with this format, it needs to be reverse fixtures... alot of the weaker asian nations are pretty strong at home.
    But then again, Its also dependent on the number of entries.. ideal would be 40 nations entering (8 groups of 5).

14. ashindia

ashindia Member

Apr 14, 2009
    India,Hyderabad
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    Asian WCQ have always started after following year of WC.

15. ashindia

ashindia Member

Apr 14, 2009
    India,Hyderabad
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    Asian WCQ have always started after following year of WC.

16. Fureeku

Fureeku Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Maldives
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Maldives
    True, qualification for the 2014 FIFA World Cup began on 29th June 2011.

17. mdhm

mdhm Member

Southern District FC
    Hong Kong
    Nov 7, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Hong Kong
    There is a problem to find out the teams ranked no.33-36 in the first WCQ group stage. We all know that the teams ranked no.1-12 will qualify to WCQ final round and teams ranked no.13-36 will enter the ACQ. Assume 40 teams will participate the WCQ, of course it is 8 groups of 5. So, 4 teams at BOTTOM of the group can still proceed to the next stage, ACQ even without a win or a draw? Not logical at all.

18. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    AFC have said eight groups in 1st stage. The numbers in each group will depend on number of teams who enter. I dont have a problem with teams who dont win matches going on to the Asian Cup qualifiers as I see that as a seperate tournament at that stage.

19. edrees

edrees Member

Nov 28, 2005
    I agree.

the WCQ and ACQ are tw seperate qualification campaigns, and obviously, qualifying for the WC is harder than the AC. with 40 teams, you will have 4 teams knocked out of both WCQ and ACQ.

I understand alot of the top teams will find it useless to play against the lower teams, but you are in a confederation which has top and bottom teams, earn you way... England never whinges when they have to play Faroe Islands home and away for WCQ or ECQ..

20. ashindia

ashindia Member

Apr 14, 2009
    India,Hyderabad
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    Its a good exposure to the small teams, they would learn a lot in coming years by playing teams like Korea, Australia, Iran , Japan etc.

I already can't wait for the draw for these qualifiers.

21. thewitness

thewitness Member

Melbourne Victory, Derby County
    Australia
    Jul 10, 2013
    Club:
    Derby County FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    What do you think will happen if the host of the next Asian Cup misses out on finishing in the top 12 and going on into the WCQ group. Will they be removed from the ACQ second stage? and will the team finishing in 37th step up and take their place?

22. edrees

edrees Member

Nov 28, 2005
    AFC always makes up rules as they go, so I wont be surprised that 'a certain' rule will come out at that time..

23. ashindia

ashindia Member

Apr 14, 2009
    India,Hyderabad
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    1 place for host is always reserved, no matter they will continue to play. Incase they are among qualified teams then the 12th best team will make it(11 teams are supposed to qualify so next best team will make). This is what I think will happen.

24. mdhm

mdhm Member

Southern District FC
    Hong Kong
    Nov 7, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Hong Kong
    The host of 2019 Asian Cup will be announced in November 2014 before the WCQ starts.

Case 1 (the host is the best 12 in WCQ): no. 13-36 will compete for 12 places in ACQ as original plan.

Case 2 (the host ranked 13-36 in WCQ): The host will qualify to Asian Cup directly. No.37 will be the lucky loser and replace the host to play in ACQ. 24 teams will compete for 11 seats. The worst runner up is out!