Asian Cup 2011 [R]

Discussion in 'China' started by xfactor857, Dec 8, 2010.

1. Corporation X

Corporation X Member+

Sep 9, 2009
    Suckmydickastan
    Wrong. A rose is a rose. Everyone knows what it means, you fight until the end no matter what.

2. ntg.

ntg. Moderator
    Staff Member

May 9, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    tough game for uzbekistan
    trialing 2-0 at HT and losing 6-0 at FT.

i wish they could pick themselves up and get ready for a historic 3rd place competition (acheiving 3rd or 4th place will bring them the highest finish in Asian Cup).

3. ruazn2

ruazn2 Member

Jul 25, 2006
    California
    Club:
    Shanghai Shenhua
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    I didn't get a chance to watch the game but how the heck did they lose 6-0? I doubt Australia is that much better...did the Uzbeks crack under pressure?

4. ntg.

ntg. Moderator
    Staff Member

May 9, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    captain djeparov was the only person pulling the strings.
    the uzbek team didn't function too well under the tight aussie-oi-oi defending.

the uzbek goalkeeper had couple of blunders and there was one red card after the third goal.

i didn't see the last three goals but i would agree that the uzbek indeed crack under pressure.

5. Only_ONE_United

Nov 30, 2008
    Vancouver/Hong Kong
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    I really feel for the Korean team in their loss to Japan after such a late comeback to tie the game. It is hard to believe that with all the good things they did during the game, the PKs would be a total disaster. Nonetheless, their heads should be held high as they put in great performance this Asian Cup. Same should be said for Uzbekistan who were not at their best today, but should be commended for a strong showing at this tourney.

Didn't want this final matchup to appear, but I'll have to say I would prefer Japan win it because the last thing I want to see is a team of lost Pseudo-Western European guys lift the "Asian Cup". :p

6. Fushida

Fushida Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Canada
    fixed that one for ya ;)

7. jaredk

jaredk Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    just got back yesterday and read the results. not sure if i should read all the pages after i had left. i'm thinking it would be depressing. can anyone share a concise summary of the team's performance and evaluate their future?

8. xfactor857

xfactor857 Member

Sep 21, 2003
    The Australian Open tennis tournament has been marketed as the Grand Slam of Asia/Pacific for the past few years. I think they're trying to fit in.

9. jaredk

jaredk Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    ok, point taken. :)

there is always next time.

our football national team needs encouragement and total support.

10. jaredk

jaredk Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    just a marketing gimmick. i watched tennis for yrs and i don't see them promoting asian players. they follow the strategy of other GS, that is, hyping their local players (fellow aussies in this case) and giving lots of airtime to the big names: fed, nadal, sharapova etc...

11. xfactor857

xfactor857 Member

Sep 21, 2003
    u mean Australians of Asian descent? Or players from China, Japan, etc.

Usually the Grand Slam host tennis association trades wildcard openings with other Grand Slam hosts. For example, Australia gives two slots to Americans and Americans give two to Australians at the US Open.

12. jaredk

jaredk Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    :D娜姐did well. after the 1st set, i figured she would crumble and go on her error fest mode. but she played within her own game and beat caro playing what she does best.

long time coming for the women's game. many predicted a chinese revolution in the WTA many yrs ago after china's doubles success in the Olympics and the GS.

now its up to the men to make us proud.

13. jaredk

jaredk Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    i meant asia asians. no matter how the AO brand themselves as the Asia-Pacific
    slam, they pretty much follow the other slams. give priority and promote the local hopes and star names. that is lots n lots of tv coverage of hewitt, tomic, fed, nadal, stosur...etc

14. Only_ONE_United

Nov 30, 2008
    Vancouver/Hong Kong
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    My expectations have long since been lowered; I'd be happy if our men's athletes don't bring us shame and make us look like comedic fodder. :cool:

15. Only_ONE_United

Nov 30, 2008
    Vancouver/Hong Kong
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Congrats to Japan for winning the Asian Cup again for the 4th time.
    Congrats to Korea Republic for finishing on a high note and taking 3rd/the automatic qualification for AC2015.
    Congrats to Uzbekistan for quite an overall performance this tournament.

16. shinović89

shinović89 Member+

May 23, 2010
    Liverfail
    And Congrats to Australia for taking second place. :eek: :p

17. jaredk

jaredk Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    baffles me as to why Serbia is such a strong tennis nation. they have
    Djokovic(world no.3, a 2x GS winner), Janković and Ivanović(FO winner), both former world no.1

i mean not long ago, serbia was a war torn country, the population and GDP are seriously not that great. they are like the Uruguay of tennis, super overachievers.

surely, one day china can be as good. we just need to find our own version of Novak Djokovic and earn from serbia's tennis program

18. Only_ONE_United

Nov 30, 2008
    Vancouver/Hong Kong
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    That once again highlights China's illogical problems in sports (like tennis). We can absolutely dominate in table tennis and badminton for both men and women (so raquette sport know-how is definitely not the problem). Further, we have women who can compete among the highest levels with the other world elites. But when it comes to men, I don't think we even have a single competitive player in the male top 100 ranking. :rolleyes:

I don't think much needs to be further said about our football programs...

19. jaredk

jaredk Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    well, we all know the level of competition is much higher in the mens game....
    this pretty much applies for all countries. russia and the US has more success in the womens game. but even with more high ranked players in the women side, they still manage to produce a roddick or a davydenko. i think it is possible for china.

tennis requires alot more out of you, the gap between badminton and tennis is much greater than that between table tennis and badminton imo. we dominate in those 2 sports because of certain advantages, but it does not mean we can do the same in tennis. so you can't really compare i think.

20. ruazn2

ruazn2 Member

Jul 25, 2006
    California
    Club:
    Shanghai Shenhua
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Basically China is good at training individual athletes but when it comes to team sports, China sucks.

21. ntg.

ntg. Moderator
    Staff Member

May 9, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    sad but true.
    e.g. liu xiang.

22. chengb02

chengb02 Member

Oct 14, 2002

23. xfactor857

xfactor857 Member

Sep 21, 2003

24. jaredk

jaredk Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Club:
    --other--

25. Zhou Botong

Zhou Botong Member

Oct 15, 2007
    What drives Liu Xiang is his technique and confidence.
    He took off his singlet after winning in Asiad 2010. His physique does not suggest "chemical enhancement". He does not even have the typical muscle mass of a sprinter.