Ashlee Simpson LIVE?

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Ian McCracken, Oct 24, 2004.

1. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Ashlee Simpson caught lip-synching on Saturday Night Live. She walks off the stage sheepishly. See the video!

2. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Damn you beat me to it.

3. Waingro

Waingro Member

Feb 15, 2003
    San Diego, CA.
    That's not what happened. The band started playing the music of the first song they did 45 minutes earlier. She couldn't just sing it over again. That would have been more embarrassing than what she ended up doing, just walking off the stage...

As for lip syncing, when they started playing the music there was no singing. If she was a lip sync-er, then her taped voice would have been played along with the music...

4. Waingro

Waingro Member

Feb 15, 2003
    San Diego, CA.
    SCANDAL!!!

I just played the link Ian posted. That must have been from the live show at 11:30 EDT. I saw the west coast showing, and they edited out the audio of her voice so it appeared that the band screwed up by playing the wrong music. I guess NBC didn't want the other half of the country to know that she lip-syncs. My above comment was based on my viewing of the west coast show but before I played the link. I wonder who's fault it was? One of her road crew members? Or some board op working for NBC?
    Whatever, sucks for her...

Question for the east coast viewers: did she apologize to the audience for lip-syncing? Or did she say that the band began playing the wrong music (that's what we saw here out west)? If NBC edited out the proof that she was lip-syncing, I wonder if they'd produce a fake show-ending for the west coast, too...

5. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any other links out there? That one was down when I tried it.

6. 352klr

352klr Member+

Jan 29, 2001
    The Burgh of Edin
    It said I had a codec error. Any idea where to get the right codec or where to find the video on another site?

7. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The lyrics for the first bad song started playing over the music of the second bad song.

She then tried to blame it on her band.

HA!

8. sarabella

sarabella BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 22, 2004
    UK
    Was there ever any doubt??

9. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    what no pics of ashlee :confused:

quite dissapointing ;)

10. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    No, she blamed it on the band on the East Coast as well.

Here's the weird part. SNL goes to commercial. During the commercials, Simpson and band are shown getting ready for the commercials.
    Now, when they come back from commercials, normally, they would show a photograph of Simpson, then open to Jude Law saying "Once again, Ashlee Simpson", but there was no intro. They cut straight to the band stage and Simpson doing weird arm gestures when the "Pieces of Me" vocal track started playing.

Clearly, they were having technical problems already and they didn't mean to broadcast it?

-----
    Editorial:

Now, I don't have a problem with lip synching during a live performance per se. I understand that some pop acts involve choreographed numbers in their songs and it's hard to sing and dance at the same time. If Usher's doing backflips and sliding across stage, I wouldn't expect him to sing live.

But we're talking about Ashlee ********ing Simpson here. Her claim to fame is that she is the less attractive, smaller breasted little sister of Jessica Simpson, whose only claim to fame is being a struggling pop singer who found success by playing a ditzy blonde on a reality show.

You'd expect Ashlee to have at least a decent voice. Nope, not even with all the studio magic available today. Her job is to stand in front of the mic and not be awful. But she apparently can't even do that.

11. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  12. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  13. Dolemite

Dolemite Member+

Apr 2, 2001
    East Bay, Ca
    just saw this. funny as hell. a real performer would have gone with the flow and would have made the huge mistake seem small..... she drew so much attention by walking off stage like a frightened little kid. you can tell this is probably her fifth or so live performance. hell, if micheal jackson had been caught lipsyncing when he was six he would have busted something out. she just tried to do some dumb dance for about ten seconds. this is what happens when you try to create an artist in a boardroom

oh and the worst part is at the end she blames her band. now, i don't know where the actual blame lies, but if she hadn't relied on lipsyncing none of this would have happened. that's what she should have apolagized for. trying to time a tape machine to real musicians can be a tricky thing. oh, and lorne micheals is the most at fault for bringing bogus acts on his show

14. futbolrey

futbolrey New Member

Dec 20, 2002
    Burke, Va
    some one please correct me if i'm wrong but don't the majority of singers lip-sing during live events. I.E. Madonna

15. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    How classy of her to blame her band. What a fraud.

16. Dolemite

Dolemite Member+

Apr 2, 2001
    East Bay, Ca

bubblegum singers tend to lipsync. REAL singers do not. any real musician would take it as a huge insult if they were asked to lipsync.

17. Soju Gorae

Soju Gorae New Member

Ashley, Hef's on line 1... as your agent, I'd advise you to take it, biatch.

18. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Thank you.

Not being able to stand in front of a mic and sing a damn song is bad enough. But when her lack of even the most basic and subjectively judged musical ability gets exposed, she shifts the blame to the people who do the real work. That's as lame as it gets.

19. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The band members kept on playing after Ashlee ran off stage. They all had these big smirks on their faces. I bet she's a real bitch and that her band mates hate her.

20. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    she's not very attractive. i really wouldn't want to see her naked.

21. Dolemite

Dolemite Member+

Apr 2, 2001
    East Bay, Ca

band mates....... that's pretty funny. my guess is that those guys in the band do it fo the cash, and probably never want to be associated with Ashlee simpson in any form. they might have shown up the day the album was being recorded but my guess is that there was zero collaboration. they just sat down and played what was written on the sheet. dave mathews has band mates. ashlee simpson has a publicist.

22. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Well, I mentioned this before, but I really don't have a problem with pop singers using a vocal track if they're doing a choreographed number which would make them out of breath and impossible to sing.

But Ashlee's performance is essentially standing in front of the mic and making faces. You do not need a voice track to do that.

23. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

LoL, excuse me. well you could tell that they thought it was funny. So semantics aside the musicians probably do hate her.

Is there any coverage on this in any news sources or anything?

24. Dolemite

Dolemite Member+

Apr 2, 2001
    East Bay, Ca

yeah..... giant smirks on the guitar players faces. i almost hope this was a prank played by the "musicians" on stage to make ashlee look like an idiot. which apparently isn't too hard

25. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    AP News (via Yahoo) has a pretty good PbP on it.

The reality-based community is having a field day, of course.
    Blogcritics.org has a good take on it: