AS Roma's Jonathan Zebina??

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by allycks, Mar 5, 2004.

1. allycks

allycks New Member

Feb 14, 2002
    Parma, Italy
    An article in Italian in which Jonathan Zebina --a French citizen, plays for AS Roma-- says he'd like to play for the US Men.

http://it.sports.yahoo.com/040305/212/2or90.html

He's a right back, pretty good player, I think he's been courted by ManU and Arsenal. Regular starter when healthy.
    The article implies that he's frustrated at not being called into the French national team and would like to play for the US because he's always been fascinated by the country. The article mentions a couple other players, including Juventus' Camorenesi, who have 'changed' nationalities for international soccer purposes. The article doesn't mention if Zebina has any ties to the US or American relatives.

2. Riverdale Goalie

Riverdale Goalie New Member

May 12, 2001
    Bowie MD
    Well he's got his work cut out for him to beat out Frankie Hejduk...::cough:: But most likely he has no ties to the US and figures they could do an Ailton deal, without realizing the US' complicated citizenship process. If he does have some tie, without ever seeing him play I think it's pretty easy to say he'd end up the starting US right back pretty quickly.

3. The Wanderer

The Wanderer New Member

Sep 3, 1999
    Wow. Hell is freezing over. A Frenchman who wants to play for the U.S.? I think this is just French fickleness...

4. Zealot

Zealot New Member

Apr 7, 2000
    I'd be happy to adopt him for citizenship purposes, so long as he'll promise to be a good son and send some money home to the folks.

5. Jordan

Jordan New Member

Apr 30, 1999
    Planet Earth
    Re: Re: AS Roma's Jonathan Zebina??

Jonathan is not a very common French first name. It is a more common American name. He must have some American ties to think that he can play for the US.

6. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Car DMN, car DMN, please respond! US National team poaching being reported in Yanks Abroad section of Big Soccer, please respond with any information.

7. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Why me? Sounds more like a job for Parmagiano...

;)

At any rate, I've emailed the club and some supporter sites asking for info.

8. BanglaBlue

BanglaBlue Member

Jan 3, 2004
    Dublin
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    We'll he's SOL. unless he has family (immediate family) in the US who can sponsor his immigration. US government doesn't just give out citizenship. There is a whole body of law, the Immigration and Nationality act, that governs it. He can't even win the visa lottery, - contries not eligible.

This is idle musing on a daydream.

9. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    While DMS is waiting on that email I thought I'd do a little research while I have some time to kill....

http://www.wsoccer.com/players/z/zebina_jonathan.htm

Jonathan Zebina was not even BORN in France, rather he is from Parigi, Brazil, Birthdate is July 19, 1978. So he is 24 years old.

I'll try and find out how he has French Nationality.

[​IMG]

stupid Internet site. I have a feeling that Parigi is actually another name for Paris.

10. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: AS Roma's Jonathan Zebina??

f*&%ing brillian1

11. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    best case scenario one of his parents has US citizenship, even with that will take him 3 years , I think !

...but i agree that every foreign player who is not happy with their National team should turn to USA and get immidiate citizenship, maybe US immigration laws in this instant could be changed

12. Kevin in Louisiana

Kevin in Louisiana New Member

Feb 7, 2003
    Metairie, LA
    Umm, there's no way this guy has any US ties. I actually thought I remembered him as having some African nationality from when I had a CM 01/02 game going. I could be mistaken. But I don't think there's any way this guy has any US ties.

13. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
  14. mundial

mundial Member

Mar 12, 2000
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Capped

It seems to me that he's been capped by France, but maybe that was just something I did when I managed France in CM.

15. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    hell this guy doesn't even have a familty if you were to believe Google. How can a guy this famous not have ny kind of biography availible? I mean I can find a biography of A-League players but not of a guy who starts for AS Roma?

16. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Re: Capped

He was definatly called into a camp in 2001

Lemerre calls up Zebina for France

Wasn't on World Cup Squad

So I'm not actually sure if he is Cap-Tied to any country

17. mundial

mundial Member

Mar 12, 2000
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...not sure, but the fact that his last name is actually zébina (with the accent could have an effect on your google searches...

18. PaulGascoigne

PaulGascoigne Member+

Feb 5, 2001
    Aotearoa/NZ
    No prob. We'll hook up the guy with nancyb, and he'll be in (naturalized) red, white and blue in 36 months. :D

19. mundial

mundial Member

Mar 12, 2000
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correction - Lemerre brought him in for a friendly in 2001, but he didn't play.

20. dub77

dub77 New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    in denial
    I smell Michael Ricketts all over again.

21. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    My sister-in-law is A) born and bred in the USofA, B) single, C) a hottie, D) a free spirit with champagne tastes, meaning she needs money and would be up for something a little unorthodox.

So, find out if Zebina is single and we'll get the wheels rolling!

22. dcufan1984

dcufan1984 Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so this is your nice way of saying that she's a patriotic golddigger?

i like. sign her up. ;)

23. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I find it unconscionable that you're talking about sending this kind of business overseas in an election year, particularly when there are plenty of single, unorthodox Dave Marino-Nachisons right here at home.

24. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Unfortunately, I don't think you will be able to marry him (in the States anyway), and besides, I think you would have to work for the government or something to be able to expedite his citizenship.

25. dcufan1984

dcufan1984 Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i have two words for you my friend: san francisco.