AS Bari [R]

Discussion in 'Italy: Southern Clubs' started by romanista31, Apr 1, 2005.

1. romanista31

romanista31 New Member

Apr 1, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    any Bari supporters in here? If so do you htink we got a shot at serie A within the next couple of years(3years)?

2. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Re: AS Bari

Bari needs to focus on surviving in Serie B first before dreaming of promotion. They lost the relegatin playout last season and were only saved from life in Serie C1 by the financial plights of Napoli and Ancona. At least they are out of the drop zone at the moment - but only one point above the two play-out spots. Striker Davide Dionigi has proven to be a shrewd pickup from Reggina in the January transfer window, but scoring still seems to be their biggest problem, with only 28 goals in their 31 games. Only the bottom two teams in Serie B have scored fewer.

3. nirvaanfc

nirvaanfc Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Jan 13, 2004
    Trinidad & Tobago
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Gianluca Zambrotta and Antonio Cassano are excellent BARI alumni....

I'd support them for this contribution to Italian soccer if nothing else...
    Plus i hear they have an amazing stadium!!!

4. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

The Stadio San Nicola is one of my favorites. It was built for the 1990 World Cup but it hasn't been full since Bari have been relegated...

5. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC

that does not do justice to what that staduim looks like. from the inside its really spectacular. the only sad thing is that the italians just dont understand what a football stadium is (no damned runningtracks!) and bari is clearly not the right place for this kind of an arena. it was virtually never full even when they were in the serie a and had boban and platt in their ranks.

6. TroisièmeRobert

TroisièmeRobert New Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Route 210, yo.

These any better?
    (http://www.fussballtempel.net/uefa/ITA/San_Nicola.html)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and my fave...
    [​IMG]

Also, you may or may not know (I certainly didn't), the Stadio San Nicola was designed by Renzo Piano. You may remember him as the architect of the Pompidou Center in Paris, and the Kansai Airport Terminal in Osaka, Japan. He also won the Pritzker in '98. Cool stuff.

Whether or not AS Bari is making the best use of such a stage is another story.

7. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC

there you go TroisièmeRobert :D nice stuff indeed.

8. romanista31

romanista31 New Member

Apr 1, 2005
    Toronto, Canada

ye but thats one fo the things that make italian soccer what it is....the running track around the field...theres one of two ways u can tell if ur watching an italian soccer game...all the defensive play or the track...lol :)

9. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT

Well, you know that Italians are known for their prowess in athletics. :D

10. phillips10

phillips10 New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cranford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls

it is a shame that such a nice stadium goes to waste...I had family from bari so I always keep an eye on them...

its odd that during this "rise of the south", bari has nothing to do with it...

11. RandyNA74

RandyNA74 Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

.....or Napoli for that matter. ;) :(

Not sure why we are so fixated on athletics tracks in Italy. I like them for the most part, personally. I mentioned a while back in another thread that the athletic track only takes away from the atmosphere if you let it; case in point Olimpico in Rome, where the atmosphere is second to none on the right occasion. Same with San Paolo in Naples.

I think the obsession with making stadiums like that is due to a desire to make Italian stadiums multipurpose. There are numerous athletic events etc. in Europe that need to be hosted somewhere, after all. Plus having an "athletic" stadium leaves the door open to a potential Olympic bid one day. Well, not that Bari would ever host the Olympics, but you know what I mean.

12. andredimo80

andredimo80 New Member

Apr 15, 2005
    worcester ma usa

They Suck Becouse They Have A President That Is An Idiot!!!!!
    Trust I Come From Bari

13. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC

hmm i wonder how many golden league events have been held at bari. i just dont see the point. i bet its virtually never used. and an athletics track in turin? hello! its pathetic. i would bet anyone that Juventus, roma, lazio and napoli would all average 20 000 more spectators if it werent for the tracks.

14. Lemieux

Lemieux Member

Aug 19, 2000
    Baltimore Federal Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Here is Bari against Milan:

[​IMG]

My Italian friend got me into Bari as he was from there.

and another:

[​IMG]

15. TroisièmeRobert

TroisièmeRobert New Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Route 210, yo.

if you look really closely at the top one, you can almost see Dida having a heart attack. Right there by the goal. Look close though.

Great pics! It's beautiful there.

16. LA CURVA SUD ROMA

LA CURVA SUD ROMA BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 24, 2005
    Montreal
    As Bari

Whats the best this club has ever cone, i know theyre big rivals with lecce and their jersey is cool

17. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Re: As Bari

They were a fairly regular occupant of Serie A throughout the 90s. I think the best they ever finished was 10th on a couple of occasions. Looks like they also finished as high as 7th way back in 1947. The role of flagship club in the region of Apulia seems to cycle through - was Foggia briefly (couple of 9th-places in Serie A in the early '90's - now they're in Serie C1), then Bari (now in Serie B). Now it's Lecce.

18. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Throughout the 90s, Bari got relegated on a couple of occassions but in the late 90s, when I first saw them, they looked rather decent. In 1996, Igor Protti was leading goalscorer in the Serie A with 24 goals. In 1999, Bari drew 15 games, the most draws by all clubs and four more than Bologna. Bari finished 10th twice like Sue B said, in 1989-90 and 1998-99.

19. LA CURVA SUD ROMA

Sep 24, 2005
    Montreal

Does anyone have a picture of their home ground SAN NICOLA STADIUM its some work of art,one of the most beautiful stadiums in Europe. thanx

20. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
  21. LA CURVA SUD ROMA

Sep 24, 2005
    Montreal

spectaculoso!! thanx!! :p

22. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Zambrotta and Cassano both got noticed at Bari.

23. phillips10

phillips10 New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cranford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls

I dont know that Zambrotta was a big money move, but I wonder where that 25M they got for Cassano went?? It doesnt appear to have been put back into players as they continue to struggle in serie b the last few yrs.

24. LA CURVA SUD ROMA

Sep 24, 2005
    Montreal

mmm.. that is an excellent point who can investigate?? can SueB do so?