A's add a new twist to the story... (threads merged)

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by dk_dynamite, Dec 16, 2005.

1. sj_oldtimer

sj_oldtimer Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Clovis CA

Now that the other shoe has dropped, I am sure the rest of us will start hearing more and more of what was happening in the background over the last few months. These stories regarding Lew Wolff and the A's were not generated overnight. Obviously, these discussions have been happening for some time now.

People can say whatever they wish about how AEG was making "business" decisions over the past few years. That is likely true, but just because their decisions were based on their own view of their business interests, it doesn't mean that AEG was not a monkey wrench in every proposal that was positive for the Quakes. The fact that AEG was looking out for AEG was probably the worst possible situation. My personal opinion is that I would be very pleased to know that local investors did everything possible to screw AEG. I find that feeling to be very satisfiying at this moment in time. We don't need them.

I do feel sorry for the coaches and players who are under contract to AEG. Can anyone imagine being forced to go to Houston? I remember John Rowlands, who played for the NASL Quakes, commenting that his short time in Tulsa was like playing in h^ll. Somehow, I kind of think that there will be some similar feelings about Houston.

I hope Lew Wolff is serious. He has a very positive history in San Jose.

2. UrawaRed

UrawaRed New Member

Dec 19, 2000
    Kiyose, Tokyo
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You da man! I couldn't agree more.

3. ossieend

ossieend New Member

Apr 3, 2005
    derby u.k.
    The Millennium Stadium in Cardiff has grass grown on pallets which can be moved in an out of the stadium, so that it can be used for a variety of events. eg. A few weeks ago there was a rugby international there, then the grass was removed to allow tons of dirt to be brought in for a supercross event. The same facillity allows them to hold concerts without damaging the grass. So, I'd think alternating between soccer and baseball could be even easier.

4. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So the current realistic SSS site options are downtown San Jose, the Santa Clara County Fairgrounds, Mission College and the lot near Paramount's Great America, right?

Can Milpitas realistically become another candidate? It's been a while since it was an option, but is it too late to revive it? :confused:

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

5. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it will depend on the investors. My guess is, if SVS&E came back into the picture it would still be downtown, the A's and Wolff would probably prefer that also. Someone else may like what Santa Clara has to offer and go that direction. Fairgrounds? Maybe if the County made an offer that was too sweet to refuse. It sounded like the Milpitas political landscape has changed too much since interest was first shown there.

6. mitquinn

mitquinn Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Re: A's add a new twist to the story...

Wolff was quoted as saying that the only difference in getting an MLS team and stadium now as opposed to last week is that he'll be dealing with MLS and not AEG.

But he also mentioned that he knows AEG well, and likes doing business with them.

7. lazlo325

lazlo325 Member

Sep 15, 2002
    Monterey

ABSOLUTELY!! I don't find it coincendental, in the slightest, that the Lew Wolff is interested NOW in investing in the future expansion franchise, rather than during the SNAFU of the last 30 days. ANYONE who tried to save the Quakes for 2006 did so on AEG's terms, as SVS&E found out to their cost.

The Bay Area soccer scene is FINALLY free of AEG! Personally, I'm OVER THE MOON with the thought of a BRAND NEW entity willing to purchase the expansion franchise -- IIRC, SVS&E bailed on us halfway through the 2002 season, leaving us with AEG to begin with. Lew Wolff, combined with SSV, Ajax America (remember them? they're still interested...), and others with deep pockets, can give us an alternative to AEG, with our existing name, colors, logo and RECORD (the best part of the whole thing). That has to give the Bay Area what I believe to be a very bright future, as fas as professional soccer is concerned. And I plan to support SSV in whatever way I can to ensure that we get our team back PRONTO!

This is the part that scares me more than anything else. Me, personally? I would prefer that we have NOTHING to do with AEG, ever again. That's probably not realistic, I realize.

I am hoping that someone can eventually answer the questions WE want answered:
    • Spartan Shops reportedly made an offer to renegotiate the Spartan Stadium contract, but AEG failed to respond. Why is that?
    • Specifically how much influence did AEG have during the negotiations with SVS&E, SSV and the City of SJ? Did ANY deal being discussed REQUIRE that AEG got a piece of the revenue created by the new owners, even though they were potentially selling to SVS&E, therefore washing there hands of this franchise?
    • What are the terms of the deal with U of H regarding Rovertson Stadium as a venue for the next three years while a stadium deal is investigated in Houston? Are they THAT much better than was being offered in a renegotiation with Spartan Shops?
    • WHEN, exactly, were the players and staff notified of the move? Ching says in the ESPN article, and Dom seemed to indicate during an encounter with a pro-Quakes Houston-based BS poster after the Houston press conference, that the Quakes were notifed just HOURS before the announcements.
    I'm thrilled to read about how upset OUR players are -- AEG needs to know how screwed up this situation is. I'm glad Ching has the gravitas to speak up and say something. Listening to Wade and Pat on Friday morning (the webcast conveniently omitted Dom's remarks), it was definitely obvious to me that they weren't thrilled to be there -- almost if they were speaking with a gun to their heads. Wade went as far as to point out a fan wearing a Quakes jersey in the crowd (BS poster Yanks02, I believe?).

Houston gets a championship-caliber squad and coaching staff, to be sure -- but they start with a completely clean slate. They don't have OUR 2 stars above THEIR crest -- but we will, in 2007. Couple that with the hope that at least SOME of the players we adore would jump at the chance to come back and play in SJ (not to mention, perhaps,a coach and/or asst coach), makes me feel VERY positive for the future.

GK Coach Tim Hanley said something on the fan appreciation thread that spoke to me: continue to support the players, while still doing everything we can to get the expansion franchise in SJ ASAP. That means something, at least it does to me. The guys forced to wear Houston colors are still MY guys, just in different colors. While the Earthquakes are on an MLS/AEG-enforced hiatus, I will follow the Houston team -- they're still MY team, MY players, MY coaches. I'll follow the Houston team on ABC/ESPN, but only until the Quakes return. I won't buy a jersey, cap. flag. or pennant advertising Houston's franchise. I'll simply watch thier soccer.

Now, before anyone starts, by simply opening my eyes and ears to networks broadcasting the games, I am essentially supporting both AEG and MLS, but there's a point where I must simply say "I can't do anything about that." I pay for my DirecTV, because I love soccer, abd I want to watch it. I can't boycott EVERYTHING... just those I control to a managable level.

The MEN in those uniforms didn't ask to be moved - they were ordered to do so by AEG and MLS. If they wish to continue to play soccer at the highest level in this country, they must comply. To be considered to play for their countries in next summer's World Cup, they must play at the highest level, which means THIS league. I don't have to "support" the league, but I WILL support the players, as long as some semblance of the team I know and love is visible. Frank Yallop, Dom Kinnear and John Doyle built something in SJ. They put together teams made up of players that work for EACH OTHER as a WHOLE, players that were unwanted by, or didn't fit in with, bigger, supposedly BETTER, franchises in this league. That kind of player, those kinds of squads, are MY kind of TEAM, and I will continue to support those players, even if they're in Houston, not SJ.

But only until the QUAKES return. :)

8. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

No, it was in December 2002.

-G

10. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Or at least leverage with Oakland. :eek:

-G

11. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
  12. RedMenace

RedMenace New Member

Jun 20, 2004
    Palo Alto, CA

Of course he'd say that; it's entirely possible he'll end up doing business with AEG in the future (not necessarily in any way related to soccer). Why burn bridges, and what does a little public goodwill cost?

13. wassuper

wassuper New Member

Dec 15, 2005

Amen, Brother!

• I doubt we'll ever know. This is yet another reason why I object to people/posters assigning blame to SJSU - they shouldn't even be expected to subsidize a professional team in the first place. The Quakes organization is SUPPOSED to be a professional operation. Nontheless, they still extended an offer to sweeten the deal. You're correct: AEG wanted absolutely no part in this situation.

Damn straight we'll get players back - based upon Brian Ching's remarks in the ESPN piece, it seems hopeful that he'll be among those returning. Furthermore, with Dom's solid ties to the Bay Area, I can't imagine that he won't do everything in his power to return home.

You're a better man than me... :) My g/f and I will be subsisting on virtual Quakes soccer courtesy of FIFA '06 for the next year(not to mention the WC). More power to you, though!

Go QUAKES!

14. mitquinn

mitquinn Member

Oct 17, 2003

That would be my take on it, too.