News: Artur Boruc - Official Arrival

Discussion in 'Fiorentina' started by NickyViola, Jul 12, 2010.

1. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Artur Boruc
    Born: Siedlce (Poland)
    DoB:20 february 1980
    Nationality: Poland
    Height: 193 cm
    Weight: 89 kg

Former Clubs: Legia Varsavia, Dolcan Zabki, Celtic
    Honors: 3 Scottish Championships, 2 Scottish League Cups, 1 Scottish Supercup

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcTYnRY0KE0"]YouTube- Artur Boruc[/ame]

2. HuntKop

HuntKop Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 15, 2002
    Sulla mia Vespa
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Re: Artur Boruc

All Hail the Holy Goalie!

3. HuntKop

HuntKop Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 15, 2002
    Sulla mia Vespa
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

I do love his spirit though - perhaps this is step 1 in making us less likeable!

4. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina

haha So you watch Celtic. What's your honest impression of him? fio.it commenters seem to think he's a very high quality keeper.

5. HuntKop

HuntKop Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 15, 2002
    Sulla mia Vespa
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

I wish I could pretend that I've seen much of him in the past 2 years but time has been limited and I've been a bad Celtic fan.

Based on what I know from watching him before that, I think the frasermc was spot on in the other thread about his lapses but his overall ability to make the incredible saves. I do worry about his ability to organize our defense. I would like to hear more from frasermc or someone who knows a bit more on that one though.

6. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina

Maybe it's because I'm getting old and I hate to sound like Prandelli but I'm worried about having a non-Italian speaking keeper. Glad this was done as early as it was and now we need to get him Rosetta Stone.

7. HuntKop

HuntKop Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 15, 2002
    Sulla mia Vespa
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YXlflKUyeI&feature=related"]YouTube- ARTUR BORUC THE HOLY GOALIE[/ame]

8. HuntKop

HuntKop Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 15, 2002
    Sulla mia Vespa
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Wait. That's what *I* said. Ladro!!!

9. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina

Well, you're old too.

10. HuntKop

HuntKop Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 15, 2002
    Sulla mia Vespa
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

I am, actually. It's true.

Of all of the positions on the field, I just really feel strongly that the keeper needs to be a strong communicator. I think that's one (of many) places where the Nazionale fell apart in the Mondiale too. Marchetti seemed to be too afraid to open his mouth and direct anyone.

That's such a HUGE role for the keeper.

11. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina

Well basically our entire backline speaks Catholic (except maybe Kroldrup), and I'm sure the former Celtic Polish keeper does, too. Maybe they can use psalms or Hail Marys or something.

12. frasermc

frasermc Take your flunky and dangle

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Best of luck to Artur.

I feel that a move at this time to pastures new can only be good for him. If you get the Holy Goalie at his best, and I believe you will, then you have got an absolute bargain.

As I said, best of luck to the big man. A chance to start a new chapter away from all the bigotry and hate in a beautiful city like Florence.

I'll be watching to see how he gets on. I hope he doesn't let you down and you take him to your hearts as much as we did.

13. HuntKop

HuntKop Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 15, 2002
    Sulla mia Vespa
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The supporters will, I'm sure of it. He's got a ton of appeal.

Any comments on his ability to organize a defense (language debate aside)?

14. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    He's a very strong presence. He likes to be heard. If he feels that a defender needs a kick up the arse then he'll dish it out. He's had a few in-match arguments with defenders letting them know what for.

As for his organisational ability, he can command his area but lately he seems to prefer to allow his CB's to deal with the majority of crosses coming into the box. Whether that's a team tactic or a personal choice I'm not sure. Organises defensive walls well enough and is usually on his toes in the big matches. As I mentioned on the other thread I felt his main weakness was a lack of concentration at times which seemed more apparent in the SPL than it did anywhere else. Playing in Serie A week in, week out should remove that element from his game.

15. HuntKop

HuntKop Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 15, 2002
    Sulla mia Vespa
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Thanks a ton. Great stuff.

16. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Good enough for me.

17. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    A comment on fio.it.... Is this you, HuntKop?

Buonasera a tutti, sono un tifoso della fiorentina da sempre ma anche tifoso del celtic, e' 5 anni che seguo su internet tutte le partite dei cattolici di Glasgow in casa e fuori (campionato di livello medio) e ormai conosco bene anzi benissimo Boruc. E' un portiere che ha una grande reattività in porta un felino molto rapido nell uscite ottimo pararigori discreto sui calci d'angolo nell'uscite forte personalità (spesso gli capita di litigare e di brutto con i suoi difensori!!), ma e' una testa calda a livello di carattere putroppo, quindi qui da noi con i nostri allenatori di portieri non puo' che migliorare e secondo il mio punto di vista se impareraà ad essere contrentato per tutta partita e l'intere satgione ha le potenzialità di superare anche Frey. Questo e' un gradissimo portiere il solo problema suo e' la concentrazione frutto del suo carattere un po' ballerino. Beh detto questo se sono rose fioriranno speriamo in bene forza viola per sempre e forza celtic saluti e baci a tutti.

18. HuntKop

HuntKop Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 15, 2002
    Sulla mia Vespa
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Not me, but thanks!

19. LaFuriaNolan

LaFuriaNolan Member

Jan 11, 2009
    Montréal
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I used to watch a lot of Celtic, I like the Holy Goalie though I'm not entirely a fan of this move..is Frey must be sold I was hoping it would be for someone younger.

20. Footy Magoo

Footy Magoo Audaces fortuna iuvat

Mar 23, 2009
    ♫ Flugelville

Personally, I think this is a very important point. Even if he learns some Italian in the next few weeks, will he communicate quickly and efficiently in Italian? Not likely. Difficoltà

Edit: Oops, sorry. Didn't realize that Huntkop already +1'd it.

21. Footy Magoo

Mar 23, 2009
    ♫ Flugelville
    Could that be a function of Celtic being so dominant that he didn't always get much action? If they weren't playing Rangers, maybe he fell asleep with boredom?

22. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Yep. I always felt that he had that little to do at times that he lost concentration on occassion. That's why I can't see it being as much of an issue in Serie A.

23. wolfpackallday

Aug 20, 2009
    Sacramento
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    especially with our swiss cheese defense. he'll get a lot of action.

24. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
  25. Footy Magoo

Mar 23, 2009
    ♫ Flugelville