Articles like this must surely get up your nose...

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by RoyalMan, Apr 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RoyalMan

RoyalMan New Member

May 18, 2002
    Reading
  2. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I didn't see anything very inaccurate in the article. I mean, those errors from the show really did appear on the show, and if I had to cover that element of the story, I'd be hard pressed to take it very seriously myself.

In short, it didn't stereotype us. It may have stereotyped "typical Americans" who don't care about soccer, but that's not too many people who bother with bigsoccer.

3. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    "the most football phobic country in the world" - get real, the writer has obviously never been to Tonga. What a dink.

4. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I always hate terms like "football phobic". It implies that people fear or are threatened by the game when in fact most people that dont like it just dont like it out of taste. Theres also an element of ridicule that if some country doesnt have soccer as their #1 sport they are somehow sick. Was looking at an article about soccer in the Phillipines and it was written in terms of rescuing the country from the disease that is baseball that was seeping into its bones.

Incredibly arrogant and intolerant attitude regarding sport in general.

5. Fah Que

Fah Que Member

Sep 29, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    bbc is very anti-US. Their coverage of the war is more lobsided than any Arab news media. When Saddam's statue went down, they didn't even want to show that footage when every other news channel did.

6. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It was shown. To be honest once you've seen one Saddam statue toppling you've seen them all. The BBC isn't anti-US, but it does have journalists who will question statements made by politicians and their spokesmen. That's not 'anti' anything, just good journalism.

7. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Fuck off you wanker.

1) Know something
    2) Think about what you know
    3) Post.

8. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    You mean they don't lap up the Bush Administration's line as gospel like er Fox News? Thank goodness for that.

9. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Is it? I have plenty of US media press cuttings from last year's World Cup that certainly lend credence to the view. Sportswriters may not be equivalent to the population as a whole, but their rather stale knocking of the sport is what I'd call arrogant and intolerant.

10. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Lots of opportunities to discuss these topics elsewhere on BigSoccer. This really isn't relevant here. Thread closed.