News: Article on manipulating FIFA rankings for fun, profit, and World Cup seeds

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Dr. Gamera, Nov 29, 2013.

1. Dr. Gamera

Dr. Gamera Member+

Oct 13, 2005
    Wheaton, Maryland
    The BBC published an interview with BigSoccer's own @Edgar about FIFA rankings, and the possibility of manipulating a team's ranking to affect the seeding process: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-25134584

Particularly instructive is the top-ten FIFA rankings table as it would be if no teams had played any friendly matches.

JAIME CHILE and bungadiri repped this.
  2. PanchoM

PanchoM Member

Nov 3, 2001
    PalmsPlace
    Good article ,good job Edgar. Thanks for the link

JAIME CHILE repped this.
  3. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Can you post that table, as I can't access the article itself.

4. Dr. Gamera

Dr. Gamera Member+

Oct 13, 2005
    Wheaton, Maryland
    Seeds:
    1. Spain
    2. Brazil
    3. Germany
    4. Argentina
    5. Netherlands
    6. Italy
    7. Belgium
    8. Chile

No longer seeds:
    9. Switzerland
    10. Uruguay
    (out of top ten) Colombia

JAIME CHILE repped this.
  5. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Thanks.

I think most people would agree that Italy and the Netherlands are better choices as a seeded team compared to any of Switzerland, Colombia or Uruguay. However, a few might disagree with Chile being rated above Colombia or even Uruguay. I am agnostic when it comes to Uruguay, since in their last showing in Conmebol, in a league format, they finished 5th and that dents their Copa America title and makes their 4th place finish in WC 2010 look dated. But for the same reason, I am not entirely sure Colombia should be rated behind Chile?

All the same, interesting to see how the rankings would look if friendly matches didn't count.

6. JAIME CHILE

JAIME CHILE Member+

Apr 26, 2006
    V.Alemana y Stgo
    Club:
    Cobreloa Calama
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Chile got more points than Uruguay during 2011-13, so makes sense that Chile is above Uruguay.
    Also Chile beated them 2:0 this year, and in the last friendly (2010) we beated them too.

Of course a ranking is a sort of "photograph", useless as a prediction system, so Brazil, Uruguay or any other NT can win the WC not being ranked as Nr.1 or Nr. 2.

Finally, the only reason that I see to rank Chile over Colombia is because in this year Chile got more points than Colombia. But during the whole period 2011-13, they got more points than us.

7. Timanfaya

Timanfaya Member+

May 31, 2005
    Southampton
    The real point of the article, though, is that teams can manipulate their ranking by choosing how many friendlies to play and against whom:

GodOnEarth18 repped this.