Article on Chivas attendance woes

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by falcon6, Sep 11, 2007.

1. futgod

futgod Member+

Nov 28, 2006
    NorCal
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Well those people are just retarded:D

Every true Mexican should know who Zapata, Villa, Morelos, and Hidalgo were to name a few.

2. pirozhok

pirozhok Member+

United States
    Jul 20, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can you describe that kind of burrito you ate 20 years ago? Was it similar to burrito we eat here? How did they call it? "Burrito" or some other name?

3. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Believe me. They should. But. Knowing that a particular face in a poster is Zapata is different from knowing the History of Mexico.

4. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since I moved here from Texas, I've missed the wide availability of breakfast burritos back home.

5. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Pwessss, que naco, eh! O sea, Chapu, don't ever change!

El Padre Nuestro, according to a fresa

6. FCmagic01

FCmagic01 Member

Nov 10, 2006
    LA galaxy is like Arsenal.....big club and all the glamour

Chivas need to rebrand and become like West ham.....a team for the people.

7. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    OK. Like I stated before the evolution of the burrito in the US is similar to that of pizza. The original pizza from Naples is not the exact same pizza that is eaten at Pizza Hut. So. The original burrito that is eaten in Mexico has evolved in the US. From the frozen and fried burrito sold in 7-11's to the neo-Mexican cuisine that has added ingredients to the Taco Bell version that has nothing to do with the burrito that is eaten in Mexico.

I didn't eat it 20 years ago. 1974 to 2007 is 33 years ago! The burrito that I ate is a Sonoran version. Basically a large flour tortilla filled with shreded beef with chile sauce and rolled up. In the border, here in Tamaulipas, it's a smaller tortilla and usually filled with beans and cheese or egg and rolled up. That's a burrito.

And. Yes. Burritos in Mexico and the US have been around way before the 20 years that your friends state.

8. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    :rolleyes:

Ridiculous.

Btw: stop being distracted by Chapu's avatar. Read what he says. He's made an excellent case.

You've got others backing him up. Your well-intentioned friends are not an authority to be worshiped. They're wrong. No pasa nada.

9. Crazy_Yank

Crazy_Yank Member

Jan 8, 2001
    Matamoros, Mexico
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No Laredo Taco Company in SC huh? :D

10. futgod

futgod Member+

Nov 28, 2006
    NorCal
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    The best Tacos are in Oakland in front of La Iglesia St Elizabeth they make some good tacos de Barbacoa.

11. pirozhok

pirozhok Member+

United States
    Jul 20, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, chapulincolorado's avatar has nice burritos, but i'm not distracted by them. I'm just trying to protect our All-American traditional food from being perceived as "Mexican".

12. bigdoug

bigdoug New Member

Apr 8, 2005
    I think what concerns people is that attendance is declining as the team gets better.

No big stars? Big deal. The team's playing great. That alone should be drawing in more people. If you're a soccer fan in Chivas' demographic, you certainly would hear about what the team's doing one way or another. They're not covering this in the Spanish-language press? No word of mouth? No Internet access?

It seems like the market for Chivas has always been a bit soft. I went to their inaugural game to find about 9,000 to 10,000 empty seats at HDC. That was a bad sign. Usually you get big crowds at first and it levels off. This started low and keeps declining.

13. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Mexico is part of the America's so.Yes.Burritos are All-American.

14. pirozhok

pirozhok Member+

United States
    Jul 20, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. amavel

amavel New Member

Jun 25, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Try explaining that to Chivas USA fans. The following is not meant as a "dig" but as a mere insight from a marketing/advertising general viewpoint..

The fans have just begun a new supporters group, one that aims to attract more non-Hispanics and/or non-Spanish speakers to Chivas USA games. The problem is that their name is in Spanish (San Patricios), the name stands for a Mexican military battalion, and said battalion fought against the United States in the Mexican-American War. Honestly, that's a nightmare of a marketing strategy when your target isn't a Spanish speaker and has little or no ties to Mexico or her history. D'oh.

I really don't know the solution to the mess that is Chivas USA marketing and their brand. Would I like them to succeed? Yeah, but not in a shared stadium and in a city has no motivation to care for them.

16. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    :D LOL. Now. That! Is an American burrito.

17. touch line

touch line New Member

Jul 3, 2007
    America taught man how to fly, drive and how to build that beef, bean and cheese tortilla wrap now known as the Burrito.

USA USA USA.....

18. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I always thought it was a bad idea for two teams too
    share a stadium.
    It dilutes your fan base.

19. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

[​IMG]

20. touch line

touch line New Member

Jul 3, 2007
    HA!!!!!!

21. RogueFC

RogueFC New Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Hell A
    There's over 10 million people in SoCal probably half of which are Hispanic. To say that two soccer clubs can't share the same stadium and draw from different sections of the population is crazy. London is much smaller and has what 15, 20 clubs in the city? Explain that.

I'll say it again. Chivas USA has to go. Whoever dreamed up the idea of mixing something so distinctly Mexican with American ties is a moron. They obviously have never taken a marketing class. They are trying to go after a segment of the market that doesn't exist.

People aren't showing up now and the team is good. Free tickets and massive promos are everywhere and still they can't fill half the stadium. They've had big name Mexicans playing here, people don't show up.

If I'm Don Garber, I say, Jorge and Antonio, thanks for the effort, but you need to sell. This idea is a failure and we need to move on. How much longer can these guys bleed money? Rebranding won't work either because people will know it's still Chivas. Move the club to one of the cities that is vying for an expansion site.

22. broder

broder Member

Jan 18, 2007
    Mission
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are they really bleeding money? I thought they had more corporate sponsors than any other MLS team, and they got a shirt sponsor this year. I would find it hard to believe they are financially worse than say DC or NYRB.

23. pirozhok

pirozhok Member+

United States
    Jul 20, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. ECUNCHATER

ECUNCHATER Member

Sep 30, 1999
    I know what you meant in your post. I still don't see them putting two new teams that close together. If Chivas moves to the NW then there may not be an expansion in the same area of the country.

25. alexp92

alexp92 Member

Jul 5, 2007
    rename chivas usa to chivas la, just because i like the name better:rolleyes:. my second idea is to build their own stadium, but not like the new plans for the dc, kansas city, red bull park stadiums, model it after an authentic south/central american stadium, built for atmosphere. then promote the supporters groups as much as possible, and i dont believe there is one, but make an english speaking group, maybe draw some non-mexicans, and other latinos who would rather not go to galaxy games and spend time with soccer moms:p. make chivas seem like the though, cool team in la, will draw some fans. also build the new chivas stadium as close as possible to the home depot center to make travelling to the superclasico much easier, promote travelling to the big away game. i think if done right, we could have an excellent rivalry.;)