Article on American soccer versus the 'Old World'

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Sempre, Dec 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sempre

Sempre ****************** Member+

Mar 4, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  2. SuperTrooper

SuperTrooper Red Card

Dec 16, 2005
    Oz
  3. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Best quote from the article: "We're happy to have Heidi Klum controlling our balls."

4. Sempre

Mar 4, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I think this is in fact Ghana's nickname. IIRC, they've won the
    African Cup of Nations four times . . . .

5. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And as I pointed out to you on another thread, none in the last 20 years. :mad: Might as well call them the Uruguay of Africa.

What the hell is up with your obsession with Ghana? Are you of Ghanaian origin?

6. The Bergamister

The Bergamister New Member

Jan 14, 2004
    Bergamo and Brussels
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    American fans, perhaps with the overconfidence that comes from growing up in a land of such plenty, are already predicting victory over Italy and easy passage to the second round. Comparing the talent of the two sides, one American poster gushed, "Talent-wise I think [Landon] Donovan is as good [Francesco] Totti." For the uninitiated: Landon Donovan, a star of the U.S. team, tried to make it in Europe, but flopped badly and was sent home. He now plays in the MLS for the Los Angeles Galaxy; Totti can play anywhere.

That has got to be the best line in there

7. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ghana have been dubbed the "Brazil of Africa", not because of their success, but their playing style. They play a beautiful, passing-oriented, "brazil-like" game in a region known for strong, direct teams.

It's the same reason that Japan was dubbed the "Brazil of Asia" some time back...

8. The Bergamister

Jan 14, 2004
    Bergamo and Brussels
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    .... and the same reason why USA will be dubbed 'pushover of group E" in this tournament

9. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe I'm just a stupid (American) newbie, but can you explain the complex logic that connects my post and your statement?

10. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I challenge you to quote one sane American fan who has claimed easy passage or a guaranteed victory over Italy.
    I said "sane."
    Actually, Donovan missed his mommy and chose to go home. Totti can play anywhere, until he throws a hissy fit, then he can play in the corner by himself during his timeout.
    He could, but it would require a puppet show, a straight jacket, and a eleven tubes of KY.

11. The Bergamister

Jan 14, 2004
    Bergamo and Brussels
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Just a bit of frustration on my part that I had to go into namecalling like some of the US peeps on here did to my compratiots.. no logic whatsoever... just a bit of banter

12. The Bergamister

Jan 14, 2004
    Bergamo and Brussels
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Just quoting from this article ... my english is not that good

13. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough. And a little banter back:

There are a lot of American idiots on this board.
    There are European idiots on this board.
    Let's not add to the list, ok?

As a long-time American soccer fan, I have NO delusions of grandeur regarding the MNT. They are a thousand times better than the eurosnobs give credit for and a thosand times worse than the neanderthal cheerleaders here "think". Personally, I think surviving the group and losing to Brazil in the round of 16 is a reasonable goal for the US: Play hard, don't have a let-down match, earn respect in Europe.

To put it simply: This is a vicious, vicious group (without a doubt the real group of death) in which any of the 4 teams have a legitimate shot at finishing in the top 2. Having read a thousand posts and not a reasonable argument to the contrary, I have to conclude that anyone who thinks otherwise is just talking trash.

14. The Bergamister

Jan 14, 2004
    Bergamo and Brussels
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Damn if I wasn't so full of hope for this year team I had to actually agree to that, but don't tell anybody....

15. Sempre

Mar 4, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Surely I am not 'obsessed' with Ghana. It has just been
    disappointing to see people who know little about the team
    making light of them. If they have players based in Western
    Europe--and they have lots of them--then they will be very
    competitive, as Senegal was. I also have noted on occasion
    that they buck one of the trends of African soccer; they can
    defend well and are fairly disciplined.

16. Sempre

Mar 4, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I can give you a list if you like. It would be tellingly
    long. Here's a start, at any rate.

apOOonu: predicted USA would win the group

Sean_Irish_Galaxy: enthusiastically agreed with above
    poster; there is in fact a whole THREAD devoted to the
    idea that the USMNT will win Group E.

Simon_bnyc: Predicted USA to win the group and Italy
    to finish last.

Etc. etc. Want more names?

On the Italian boards you cannot find a thread boasting
    that Italy will win the group; and many, knowing Italy as
    slow starters, have been predicted a second-placed finish.

The writer of that article was understating the case, if
    anything . . . .

17. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Predictions are one thing, guarantees and easy passage are another. I mean, heaven forbid some US fans believe that their team could knock off a better team, right?

18. Sempre

Mar 4, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Here's the thread:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=278004&page=1

Funny thing is, why the hell not be optimistic and brave
    in the face of tough opposition? I think that sort of bright
    spirit is classically American . . . .

(And that sort of spirit may be reflected in the title, 'The
    Yanks are Coming!')

19. Sempre

Mar 4, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I agree 100% with that. Why be dour and pessimistic?

20. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's wrong, Dave? Ghana is obviously in our group, as is Italy. We all should be interested in Ghana. I think Ghana plays the best soccer in Africa, but have been unlucky not to advance to the WC. Well they finally have made it, and are no pushovers. They do play a lot like Brazil, and could definitely be the darkhorse of the group. They are, in fact, nicknamed "the Brazil of Africa".

I work with 2 people from Ghana, but I've known about Ghana for a long time, as I've been an admirer of their team for the past decade. They've had a lot of success at the youth level, and this is starting to translate more to the senior level. That's something I hope the US will emulate.

21. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This line in the article is factually incorrect:

"For the uninitiated: Landon Donovan, a star of the U.S. team, tried to make it in Europe, but flopped badly and was sent home. He now plays in the MLS for the Los Angeles Galaxy; Totti can play anywhere."

Donovan didn't flop badly. In fact, he didn't flop at all. He basically didn't want to play in Germany, preferring the warmer and more familiar climate of California. I think he would have starred at Leverkusen eventually, but wasn't motivated to fight for his place.

I'm afraid I have to dismiss the writer as an amateur journalist with dubious knowledge of American soccer.

22. Sempre

Mar 4, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Well, you're right to point out that Donovan wanted to
    return home (not clear from the wording of the article).
    That is a significant point.

But didn't flop? You do remember that horrific Champions
    League match, don't you? And that Leverkusen let him walk
    without a murmur? He flopped miserably.

23. ElDivino

ElDivino Member

Nov 11, 2004
    landon donovan left Europe because he couldnt adapt to the game....the mommy excuse was good..but everyone knos the truth. He cant play tactical football..only practical thats why he is where is..and not somewhere else.

24. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    I seem to recall the theme of the thread being more or less, 'faith and hope with no rational or evidenciary-based explanation for the US winning the group,' this theme that apOOonu seemed to proffer was quite a bit different than, "we'll win the group because Italy, the Czech's and Ghana will be stomped underfoot like "narcs at a biker rally unable to hang with a US team that is vastly their superior," theme the writer of the article itself, and some posters in this thread seem to believe is the mentality of US fans. Take a look at threads started a week ago today, perhaps the first one was entitled, "We're screwed," my exact thoughts as I watched a tape of the draw when I got home from work. That a poster saw fit to inject some positivity into a forum drenched in a morose gloom is a good thing, not a bad thing, and the fact that apOOonu made an effort to explain that his faith, and renewed belief that we could win wasn't based on some sort of expository analysis with the evidence stacked in piles to the left and right of the thread reader was emphasized again and again, that readers here, and a mediot would deliberately misconstrue what was said isn't really that much of a surprise I guess.

25. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty much yea. The reason some American fans might seem rabid is because of the first reply to that thread. That kind of crap is getting old, and while the US team hasn't proven themselves 100%, they deserve far more respect than they get.