Arsene Wenger...

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Lanesra, Oct 27, 2004.

1. GutBomb

GutBomb Red Card

Aug 28, 2003
    Outside Boston
    dude, teso... not one of us wants you here. why do you remain? get the clue and get the fúćk out.

2. splara10

splara10 New Member

Aug 18, 2004
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Voice of Reason:

C'mon guys. I am a rapid Arsenal fan, I'll admit, but do we constantly have to get into these ridiculous arguments about who's a better manager.

Arsene Wenger has literally transformed Arsenal. He is widely regarded as one of the finest managers in the world, if not the modern era. He hasn't won everything, but he's only been managing at this level for 8 years.

Ferguson is also a great manager, and he also transformed ManUtd. He's also widely regarded as one of the best managers of the modern era. He's won a ton, but he's also been around much longer.

Arsene put his team first, just like Ferguson. If we had won Sunday's match, the exact same comments would have been made, just switch the names.

3. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Great to see you showing your maturity. If you would like to respond to any of my comments in a sensible manner, then great. If not, kindly shut the ******** up.

4. VP what a player

VP what a player New Member

Oct 27, 2004
    'For a start I (and a lot of other users) have already went into great detail about Henry and his various exploits' - Well the points obviously not sinking in then. What are you, a bit simple.

5. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe
    The point was that there was a week where several debates about Henry were started. All degenerated and I won't let another go the same way...

On-topic.. Arsene Wenger has signed a new contract. That is super news and I for one am delighted. We wouldn't be having or needing a bigger stadium without him, so it's only fitting that he should be leading the team out for their first two seasons there at least.

6. VP what a player

VP what a player New Member

Oct 27, 2004
    Re:VP What a player post:-

I don't think I am a sock, whatever that is supposed to be ?
    You on the other hand are a sweaty I take it.

VP is not about Van Persie BTW
    Although he did score a cracking goal tonight against Man City.
    Karbassiyoon made Mills look a right mug for his goal as well.
    Things have never looked so good from where I sit in the East Stand.
    Everton at home in the next round so should get to see the kids in action.
    Meanwhile roll on saturday.

7. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    so you are pissed off at the English media and ignorant fans so you bash Arsenal on a message board with a majority of its members in the US.

makes sense

I thought Livi was going to stick it to Celtic this weekend with a 5 goal comeback. I watched that game before the Utd v Arsenal game.

8. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    LOL. :)

Fair enough, give us your perspective. Seeing the world through non-
    Arsenal colored glasses can only be a good thing for many of us.

Just remember, we are an Arsenal board, we are biased. Most of us prefer the Premiership, most of us are English-speakers. If you want to talk about the relative merits of the leagues, take it to Beautiful Game or World Rivalries. Don't come here and call the Premiership a second rate league. That's going to be seen as trolling. Same for the Treble v undefeated season argument. It's a moot point. I'd trade last years undefeated season for having hoisted the CL and FA Cup trophies, but in reality, the undefeated season may have been more of a singular event. I'd ask that you leave that argument at home as well.

Other than that, I'm happy to hear what you have to say. Let's just keep it constructive.

9. fedwood

fedwood Member

Sep 13, 2004
    on that note i just feel bad Dennis Bergkamp dont get to play there :(
    maybe if he gets a extension for next season
    which i doubt
    then a testimonial game would be in "Emirates Stadium" right?

10. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    They had two dubious goals and could have potentially had three players sent off, but what can you do against the Old Firm and their officials? BTW, I missed the brief 30 second highlights, so could you please tell me whether any of their goals were offside or not. I think it was their opening two that were dubious (according to the commentators).

11. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe
    Hmmm, maybe. To be honest Im not sure. It depends on the management. Although I personall think it would be a fantastic opener to the stadium to have a Bergkamp testimonial there as the first match......

12. fedwood

fedwood Member

Sep 13, 2004
    it'll surely be filled to capacity

well actually any new stadium that oepns has a full crowd in it no matter the quality of opposition

13. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well, the English press are going to write about the Premiership in great detail as you would expect. Now I don't know what papers you read, but the tabloids are obviously into over-hyping everything as you well know (and not just when it comes to football). I've never read a Scottish paper, but don't they give more coverage to the Scottish game? I've just done a very unscientific test on the Daily Record website's sports page, the first story about English football was 12th in the list. Some of your points here are dubious at best. Wenger the greatest manager ever? Where did you see that? He can probably be mentioned now up with some of the best managers to manage in this country for trophies won (and it's two doubles and an FA Cup, not one league) as well as the style in which his teams play. Ferguson is without doubt up there with the best ever. It's a subjective argument at best.

I have no problem with people criticising Arsenal (I got a very abusive PM from a fellow Arsenal supprter myself the other day for my own criticism of the side), but you seem to jump on everything good anyone says about the team. There have been some remarkable achievements by the side over the last few seasons and people will get carried away. I have noticed from some recent posts of yours that you may be softening your stance just a tad, criticise away, as long as you can recognise the good things about the side at the same time, that's all I ask.

The obvious answer would be to ignore the English press. I would like to think I'm far from ignorant, but it's for others to judge.

14. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    The one league comment was in reference to all of the press rubbish over the last year. Yes, it was a great achievement. However, when you take all of the hype (etc) away and take a look at things, it is still only 1 league title. As for Wenger, Sir Alex has been more successful and I'm sure Liverpool fans would have a few names to add to the list.

15. Brodo

Brodo New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Deep in Spurs territ
    Being trolled by a sweatie sock is like being savaged by a dead sheep.

16. Brodo

Brodo New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Deep in Spurs territ
    and some are intelligent enough to understand this.

17. fox point fury

May 19, 2001
    Providence
    Oh no! Zani finally got to one of us!

:p :D

18. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe

Make that two - remember Topcat didn't know who Tony Adams was........ :D

19. topcatcole

topcatcole BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In my case I plead temporary inZANIty. ;)

20. Big Blue Evil

Big Blue Evil New Member

Mar 20, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Oh Christ Teso is in Melbourne. Time for me to go overseas again. And what is that last word in your name 'Bichos'. Says it all

21. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    OK, I take your point about it being worth one league title the same as any other, but you do have to factor in that they were unbeaten and played with some style. It's not quite the same as grinding out results and winning it on the last day (1989 anyone? Although that was a fantastic finish!). I have already conceded that Ferguson is up with the best managers the the game has seen. Like I said, subjective. I mean, who's better, Ferguson, with all the vast resources at his disposal, or Clough, who took a small-time, unfashionable team to league and European Cup glory? You could make an argument either way. I'm not saying that Wenger deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as the greats at the moment, but he's definitely one of the best managers in the game today.

22. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe
    Chris, Teso decided he will be quiet on the Arsenal boards for a while...... ;)

23. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Riiiight. I don't mind a decent argument, but I get bored of people slating the team, players or manager for no reason.

24. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe
    Agreed, hence why Teso has decided to not come to the Arsenal forum for a while - well we decided for him, but you know what I mean!!

25. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    And there was me thinking I was getting through to him ;)