Arsenal VS Wolverhampton Wolves (EPL) 29Nov2020

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by And_ROOS, Nov 28, 2020.

1. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Didn’t say I wanted him back, just pointing out that he was talking about a rebuild featuring young players at Arsenal before he left.

2. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Gazidis is doing that in Milan, it just adds to the pile of evidence that Kroenkes are the core problem

3. stoppre16

stoppre16 Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Yeah I don't think Gazidis is any kind of genius football executive based on his time at Arsenal, just noting that he also doesn't seem to be an impediment to success with that type of model at Milan so far. Seems to be more that the Kroenkes just don't know what they're doing here.

bandwagongooner repped this.
  4. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    damn it. i hate the notion of defending the assholes of the kroenke family but the lazy trope that, somehow, they are some nefarious bad guys lurking in the shadow behind every problem at the club is moronic.

they hired football people, let them run the club, and have largely stayed out of the day-to-day*. now, we can argue that they have placed their trust in the wrong people - gazidis and wenger into sanllehi and emery then edu and arteta - and that would be fair. that said, wenger and emery and sanllehi either have or had some measure of respects in the game and, clearly, gazidis has SOME if milan is trusting him to run their club. so, cool, they didn't work out. but that isn't some "the idiots kronkes are just fucking eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeverything up."

*though it could be speculated that how ozil's situation has been handled might well have stemmed from them.

5. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    It's almost as if nepotistic dynastic regimes like the Glazers and Kroenkes are not good at this ...

Tonerl, DaPrince84 and daedalus repped this.
  6. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    That is my worry.

Partey will come back - he is so crucial already.

But what else can we do in midfield? So much would seem to depend on the likes of Saka, AMN and Dani somehow being stitched into a functional midfield that can progress the ball

Willock is nowhere near good enough. Pepe ditto. Willian looks done.

We just have way too many players that are either not good enough, or way too young.

7. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Trawling around Arse podcast land there seem to be a lot of rumours about trouble in the squad - players like Xhaka, Luiz, Willian, Pepe

If one point of excluding Ozil was to get focus in the squad, it doesn't seem to have worked because Xhaka was half decent last season

Like why are Xhaka and Willian getting picked when they are putting in so little

All the senior players substandard

8. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    An instant fix to our issues is one or two 2 decent CMs. Its on the club to spend that money to acquire them. Last year United were a hot mess, they bring in Bruno and he has an immediate impact.

Surely Edu has some Brazillian contacts who know a few gems they can send our way.

9. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I mean look at all this trash we need to get rid of. Plus some of the kids need to be sold.

1333545313437577217 is not a valid tweet id

thebigman, BIGHMW and daedalus repped this.
  10. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Partey injury may be more serious than the club is letting out. He could be out for a while.

11. BIGHMW

BIGHMW Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Port Townsend, WA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I almost smell a BIG-TIME fire sale if we don't crack top 10 by the January transfer window. We've got to eat humble pie right about now, hey, it's better than eating shit with an overpaid club that (perhaps) winds up playing in THE CHAMPIONSHIP next season.

GunnerJacket repped this.
  12. The Foo Fighter

The Foo Fighter Member+

Mar 15, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we're at the point where we need to let a lot of those players leaving on a free this summer, go for free in January. At the very least it would free up some capital for us to invest elsewhere. Get them off the books and use the second half of the season to look towards the future.

13. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    For me the biggest mistake Arteta has made as a manager was talking Xhaka into staying last January. He’s to one dimensional. Arsenal would probably have had to take a loss on him, but they still could have gotten a decent fee that they could have reinvested in more well rounded/athletic midfielder. But I’ve never been a Xhaka fan, so that may just be my bias speaking,

GunnerJacket and super gooner repped this.
  14. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Absolutely - we could have got money for him as well

15. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    You can tell them they are free to negotiate with whoever they wish, but if they can’t get a comparable contract elsewhere, they’ll probably see out the last 6 months of their contracts with Arsenal. To get them off the books in January, Arsenal would either have to find a buyer (and the player has veto power over any deal) or they have to buy out the remainder of their contracts. They can’t just release them and void the last 6 months of their contracts.

16. The Foo Fighter

The Foo Fighter Member+

Mar 15, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, but you can let them go for a free without charging a transfer fee. It might be better than losing the option of shifting them because we argue over a miniscule sum of money.

17. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    What is frustrating is finally we can unload a bunch of players, but then we added more garbage in willian and co

DaPrince84 and Tonerl repped this.
  18. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    #193 casoccerdad47, Dec 1, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
    I believe Sokratis’ potential move in the summer broke down over his contract demands, not any fee Arsenal were seeking. A transfer fee is not what’s holding up Ozil and Sokratis’ exits, its their existing contracts. Athletes in their 30s, with the possible exception of Willian, generally don’t have another big contract coming, so I don’t blame them for not leaving money on the table to sign with someone else. With respect to Luiz and Mustafi, the other two with expiring contracts, they resigned Luiz for another year in the summer, so they aren’t cutting him loose in January and there are some rumors that they are trying to resign Mustafi.

After not registering Sokratis and Ozil in either the Europa League or the Premier League, Arsenal should have bought Them out of their contracts. United bought Sanchez out of his contract and he moved to Inter. While you don’t save any money this way they are no longer distractions.

Tonerl repped this.
  19. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: ‘and co’

People have legitimately forgotten that we bought Cedric and Marí. Which are both stupid.

Also, I don’t much blame Auba for his form given how few touches we take in the opponents third, but we are going to be paying for his dotage. And even Partey, who is a good player who does help this particular team quite a lot, is dumb. He’s going to be past it by the time we have any chance of being good again.

Like, what is the point of these contracts?

20. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    the sokratis move broke down, i believe, because it was contingent on koulibaly moving.

the rumoured attempts to resign mustafi bothers me and has me questioning this current regime more than most other moves. including willian's (even knowing what we know now).

casoccerdad47 repped this.
  21. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They've turned over everybody on staff, and the problems have gotten worse. When the constant is them, they're the problem. They just suck at their job.

22. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    Thing is, with a few shrewd purchases along with Partey we could have been top 6 this year and pushed at top 4 next year. Instead we made some atrocious signings.

23. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    oh, ZERO argument from me. i am not at all arguing that they have not been dumb. my whole point is they have sucked because of poor choice and ignorance and not some nefarious weird ass conspiracy theory bullshit or unwillingness to spend.

bandwagongooner repped this.
  24. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    #199 The Jitty Slitter, Dec 2, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
    I mean the good news is that our big signings this summer appear to be very successful apart from Willian? But 2 out of 3 is decent. So maybe we will do better from now on.

It's not the club's fault that there is no market to shift Douzy and LT, but we can probably move then next summer in the recovery

The problem is very much the dross we signed in the 2 windows before that where we spent over 100m on players who don't even start for us now

I mean i'd rather have Mkhi, Iwobi and Ramsey back and not have Pepe and Willian

Hindsight is 20/20 and all but we kept our problematic Xhaka, sold our more promising ones, and replaced them basically with trash - at a loss!

25. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Re Mkhi, Iwobi, and Ramsey: Arsenal are near the bottom of the league in chance creation, averaging just 6,5 key passes per game. The bottom two teams are averaging 6.4 key passes per game. So far this season, no one is averaging more than 1.5 key passes per 90 minutes. Last season three players recorded more than 1.5 key passes per 90, Ozil, Pepe, and Mkhi. The season before 4 players bettered 1.5 key passes per 90, Ozil, Iwobi, Ramsey and Mkhi. So I’d rather have them too, but there is no guarantee that they would be able to reproduce those numbers in Arteta’s offense.

daedalus and The Jitty Slitter repped this.