Arsenal vs Welbeck FC (Watford), Sunday July 26

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by And_ROOS, Jul 23, 2020.

1. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe. Potential lawsuit stuff???

2. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't really feel bad for Watford, 4 managers in 1 season is begging for trouble, but damn that's tough. Because someone didn't turn the goal line tech on they get relegated? sheesh

Serengeti_Boy and Super Llama repped this.
  3. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Agree. In addition as a change of pace a right footer on the right wing is able to get to the end line and cut the ball back toward the penalty spot.

Tonerl repped this.
  4. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    Arsenal finish 8th. spurs finish 6th on goal diff ahead of Wolves, so Arsenal would take Wolves spot in Europe if they win the cup. The Villa match was a real missed opportunity.

Super Llama repped this.
  5. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Shite performance but a win none the less

we desperately need new players

maskito repped this.
  6. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    In the end Arsenal the only Big 6 club not in the top 6.

daedalus repped this.
  7. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The whole season was a missed opportunity.

66 points was enough for 3rd. 66 points was enough to make the Champions League once in the last 15 years.

The league was shit, and we were worse.

Never gonna forgive the board for sticking with Emery for so long. And I'm going to be endlessly frustrated with our directionless transfer policy for years to come.

8. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    So, the worry here is that our numbers have gotten worse with Arteta in charge. There are mitigating factors, such as COVID and Arteta's lack of a preseason but we've had games against bad teams where we've looked terrible.

We got some hot finishing today and some luck to win, and we've got to admit the midfield sucks, but I'm not at all optimistic for next season.

InTheSun, Super Llama and ArsenalMetro repped this.
  9. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK Boys. That’s a season wrap.

It’s been real. It’s been nice. But it’s not been real nice.

GunnerJacket, Super Llama and mebeSajid repped this.
  10. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    I’m not sure I’m comfortable with Arteta’s substitution patterns. First, Ceballos was having a better game than Xhaka, so if you want to bring Torreira on, why not bring him on for Xhaka? Second, why the reliance on Kolasinac as a defender when trying to close out games, especially against a quick wing? I’d rather see him slide Tierney into the back three and bring Saka on as the wingback.

daedalus repped this.
  11. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I’ve had similar thoughts, especially since project restart. But you also have to factor in the FA cup final which is the basket all our eggs are in. And Ceballos was arguably a MOTM today (along with Martinez) so maybe Mikel was protecting him for that.

maskito repped this.
  12. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'd put an asterisk with all the substitution discussion, that being the reminder that the options are very slim. The central defenders are piss poor, which puts strains on the central midfielders. The more that pairing is compromised the more difficult the role of the attackers. And so on. Yes Arteta's job is to work around that but part of the issue is the wild inconsistency of the players. LT used to be among the better midfield options, now I get nervous when he comes on.

13. BIGHMW

BIGHMW Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Port Townsend, WA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice win guys, even though I had to sit this one out (no provider quite yet, I hope that I can have one as early as next week, as I'm looking to get Hulu + Live TV after I get my SSDI deposited one week from tomorrow) so unfortunately I also have to miss the FA Cup Final as well.

14. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First Mike Riley, then Mike Dean, who’s next? Mike ScrewArsenal?

15. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. Assuming we can keep Dani next season, I think we plan for a 2 man base MF of Xhaka & Dani (Arteta's work with Dani has been superb), find a younger player that can replace Xhaka soon (Roca) and a young b2b that can provide a different look and energy. Then you find a new starting #10 and keep ESR around to backup and Willock and/or AMN as utility MFs.

16. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    You have got ti feel sorry for Danny Welbeck. He joined a relegation quality team. He was a fixture for England two years ago. Now he's going to the championship and is injury prone.

17. footykid

footykid Member+

Jan 10, 2005
    Mississauga, Ont
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    He turns 30 in November, and has a few trophies he's had a better career than almost everyone to ever play professional football. He'll have some regrets but he has had a good career, played for two massive clubs in the CL, his National team at the World Cup and Euro. The championship is a lot of games dunno if he'll be able to handle it though.

Serengeti_Boy repped this.
  18. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    What is his contract situation? Wouldn't be surprised if he stuck around to help them up, but at the same time surely a lower level prem team might be keen on him.

19. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Atlanta United will take him!
    Oh, and Holding was awful yesterday.

GunnerJacket repped this.
  20. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holding has been awful for a long time, and not just post ACL. The myth-making with him is some of the most bizarre I’ve ever witnessed.

mebeSajid repped this.
  21. footykid

footykid Member+

Jan 10, 2005
    Mississauga, Ont
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Has he? I didn't watch the Watford match, but he's looked pretty good to me. Excluding the inexplicable run into midfield against Liverpool I think it was.

Tbh in game he just has the presence of a good defender. Which is worth a lot on the pitch, I've never seen the team panic when he is called upon to defend the same way you can see the nervous energy with Mustafi. But that might just be confirmation bias.

22. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Holding is fine

beter than mustafi Brit me

23. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For anyone who doesn't already know this...

FA Cup Final is 12:30pm ET this coming Saturday AND it's only on ESPN+ AFAIK. :mad:

Maybe @And_ROOS can confirm/include this info in their impending MD thread. ;)

24. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. :D

mebeSajid and thebigman repped this.
  25. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmm. I dunno. I think I agree with bigman here. I never bought into the myth-making, thinking he was the next Sol or Tony Adams by any stretch. But I thought he was quite decent prior to his injury. Still a work in progress but decent.

maskito and Shen-O repped this.