Arsenal vs Villarreal REF WAS HORRIBLE

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by soybostero, Apr 19, 2006.

1. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Exactly, stop your whining...Villareal were outplayed, plain and simple.

2. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    And another one

3. tomvandamn

tomvandamn New Member

Apr 9, 2003
    new york
    Overall the ref did not do a good job
    Im not saying the game shouldve finished 1-1 but the ref was below average
    The henry goal wasnt offsides either

I dont recall this referee from before thats why i was suprised he got to referee a cl semifinal

4. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005
    I have said this a number of times, but it didn't appear the ref was for Arsenal as much as he was against Villareal.

5. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    The game was lost by Villarreal, it was made frustrating, at least in my opinion, by the Ref's horrible calls against both teams.

6. King-James

King-James New Member

May 27, 2005
    In this match, there were a lot of difficult calls. Not just fouls but there were at least 2-3 offsides calls that were so close, I couldn't even get a concrete opinion on the replay.

7. 0-Point

0-Point Member

Jun 5, 2004
    Quantum flux
    Freddie was offside which the Refs Assisst flagged...whether he was interfering with play is arguable.

8. Miles Brasher

Miles Brasher Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Coventry,England
    Amazing thread. I have to laugh at anyone defending the villareal players 'antics'. Although they weren't as showy as Drogba for instance, they spent considerably longer and more often on the floor in agony to make up for it.

What's that ? you don't understand the word 'agony' ? It's that state you're in just before you get up, sprint 40 yards, and show no signs of injury whatsoever.

9. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005
    So that makes 2 footed tackles from behind ok? :rolleyes:

10. flyerhawk

flyerhawk Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Hoboken NJ
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a general rule anyone who is carted off the field on a stretcher only to return MOMENTS later is guilty of, at the very least, extravagant embellishing.

The ref didn't call a single simulation foul. But it was clear that he was not going to put up with the theatrical antics that were being performed by both sides. Villareal was guilty of it more than Arseanal but Arsenal was guilty as well. Seems that the ref figured very early on that the players were trying to draw fouls and he decided to swallow his whistle. Not terribly surprising and I honestly thought that it may the game better because I really don't want to watch a match were there are restarts every 2 minutes.

11. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City

For your information his left knee was tweaked up and under his back. His physio didn't want him moving it immediately and the ref was over him yelling at them to move him off the field immediately. The physio requested the stretcher to avoid injury. It's called precaution.

12. billgrant88

billgrant88 New Member

Apr 24, 2006
    England
    Oh please. Arsenal fans have absolutely no right to talk about diving and cheating. Just look at the stats... Reyes is the most "fouled" in Europe mate. Either he treads on every member of the oppositions toes when walking down the tunnel or he is quite simply a diving scumbag (along with the rest of the Arsenal team).

13. flyerhawk

flyerhawk Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Hoboken NJ
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah ok. I guess the doctor's fears were greatly alleviated in the 30 seconds he was off the field.

The guy was acting like he had been shot in the leg. He gets carted off and all of the sudden he's well enough to run around at top speed with no concern to injury.

If there is one thing I CAN'T STAND about futbol it is all the ridiculous theatrics. You have hockey players that get their jaws broken and don't miss a shift. American football players that play with broken bones. Rugby players have dislocated arms and still play. But in futbol if someone kicks you in the shin and it stings a little you need to roll around on the ground for 3 minutes.

It's awful. And I think it causes far more egregious fouls to occur because refs become desensitized to the fouls. If they don't see clear violations they are less likely to give the benefit of the doubt because the players so frequently simulate a foul and injury. So legitimate yellow and red cards aren't called because the refs is skeptical from the outset.

FTR, I'm not trying to get on Mari's case. Perhaps he really wasn't severely injured and made a miraculous recovery. I don't know. But that sort of thing happens far too often.

14. jmarquez1976

jmarquez1976 New Member

May 5, 2005
    No muerdas!
    I tell you what was horrible.... Arsenal vs Villareal II, Riquelme & gang suk... Riquelme even had the gall to miss a pk, and Arsenal doesn't seem to be a deserved finalist... they showed absolutely nothing.

15. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Long Live Lehmann!

16. flyerhawk

flyerhawk Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Hoboken NJ
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah. 10 straight clean sheets is just terrible.

17. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I could tell Riquelme was nervous and I had a feeling he would miss. Actually it that situation, I think he would've been better off chipping it down the middle, as Lehmann would not expect such a penalty a that late stage.

18. blue32828

blue32828 New Member

Jun 23, 2005
    orlando
    Meh, bad refs or not, the game was Villareals and they didn't take it which is a shame cuz I hate Arsenal. Here's a tribute to Riquelme:
    [​IMG]

19. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yeah, for a massive club like Villarreal not to reach the CL final is just an embarrassment to the entire organization. :rolleyes:

Granted, Arsenal did get an easy route to the final (relatively easy, that is ...I mean its not like they got to play any Mexican teams, but it was easy compared to the route of their opponent they'll meet in the final), however Arsenal did out-play everyone they met on the way to Paris.

20. steveedster

steveedster Member

Feb 9, 2006
    I would hardly say Juve and Real Mdrid was an easy route, I think both routes were eqaually hard as most top teams at this level are just about even just depends on who plays best on the day (as in any year in the CL).

Arsenal were terrible tonight, worst I have seen them perform in ages. Still they are there and have as good a chance as whoever they meet to win it, its just who will be better on the day.

21. jmarquez1976

jmarquez1976 New Member

May 5, 2005
    No muerdas!

Villareal had 12 shots, including 5 on goal. Banking your future on the rival's inability to put it in is not exactly a mark of greatness. Both teams played like 3rd rate mid table, small league squads. I wish I had those 90 minutes back.

22. jmarquez1976

jmarquez1976 New Member

May 5, 2005
    No muerdas!

The size of the club should not matter when you are in the heat of battle, and the opponent is a pathetically defensive squad that has chosen to throw it all away with a prayer.

23. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    Congrats arse

10 straight shutouts..
    villareal ,juventus ,real madrid ,ajax..
    all failed to breach their backline.
    not bad ,not bad at all..

they got lucky tonight though.
    villareals mexican striker couldnt hit water if he fell out of a boat.
    viva arse.

24. Sothis

Sothis Member

Liverpool
    England
    Mar 18, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm noticing a trend with English teams in Europe. If you want to do well in European competitions, you need to have a mediocre domestic campaign. Look at Liverpool last season, failing to finish in the top four, yet winning the Champions League. Look at Arsenal now, in serious danger of not making the top four, yet into the final of the Champions League. Look at Middlesborough, having an average season yet capable (if they work hard) of making the UEFA Cup final.

Credit to Arsenal. They've had some tough games with an inexperienced squad and come through them. They've kept ten clean sheets in a row. People may argue that on the night Villarreal deserved better, but Arsenal deserve to be in the final.

My Dad, Mum and Bro all support Spurs so I've no doubt as to who they'll be shouting for in the final. Me, I support Liverpool, so I'm not supremely bothered either way. One thing is for sure, no one can accuse Henry of bottling at big games anymore- away against Real, at home to Juventus, crucial goals on the biggest stage against the biggest clubs says it all.

25. musicl

musicl New Member

Jan 9, 2004
    Arsenal played badly tonight. But they are there anyway.