Arsenal vs Villareal (UEL) 6 May 2021

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by NorthBank, May 2, 2021.

1. gunner7

gunner7 Member+

Jul 27, 2008
    Sunshine California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he got the job done

2. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    He shithoused Villarreal to a 1-0 home win against 15th-place Getafe over the weekend, a win in which they got outshot 15-4.

Doesn't seem like much has changed for him.

3. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure who you're referring to, but technically Emery did end the tie in the first leg. You can't dispute that he got the better of Arteta in both legs, and in fact had a better record as Arsenal coach than his successor has.

Very sad day to be an Arsenal fan.

Deep Wilcox and gunner7 repped this.
  4. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The only reason we even had a chance today is because Emery pulled back at halftime of the first leg and allowed us to get back in it. That should have been a 3 or 4-0.

We're out because of our own incompetence, not some managerial masterstroke by Emery. He handled the tie poorly, just not as poorly as Arteta.

DaPrince84 and SF19 repped this.
  5. gunner7

gunner7 Member+

Jul 27, 2008
    Sunshine California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We’re not in position to criticize Emery. We just got our a** handed to us. Nothing left to play for

6. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    He pulled a striker for DM at half time and ended the game 2-1, when he could have kept going and likely ended the night 3-0 or better. A moment of madness or magic would have seen his team exit tonight because he is still the most cowardly manager I've ever seen.

daedalus, DaPrince84 and Tonerl repped this.
  7. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    No one has won more Europa League titles than Emery. This will be his 5th final. That's some record.

8. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    3 of those were with Sevilla, whose success seems to have come independent of the manager (they are 18 points clear of his Villarreal team), then the one with us that he choked, and then 1 final that he got to because he faced a guy who should be putting out the cones for Pep.

9. gunner7

gunner7 Member+

Jul 27, 2008
    Sunshine California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish Emery all the best and hope he wins it.

Serengeti_Boy repped this.
  10. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    This club is such a dumpster fire

daedalus repped this.
  11. footykid

footykid Member+

Jan 10, 2005
    Mississauga, Ont
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
  12. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    Look, this season was a disaster with no trophies and no European qualification, but at least Arteta gave plenty of minutes to developing young players like Willian and Luiz and Lacazette and Cedric and Elneny and Xhaka and Partey and Mari and didn't waste it on aging veterans like Martinelli and Pepe and Gabriel and Nelson and Nketiah and Willock and AMN.

The future is bright!

13. wanye_stirrear

wanye_stirrear Member+

Sep 19, 2002
    Maryland
    The Super League sounds mighty good right now.

14. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    i . . . . man. just . . .

if tierney could play just because xhaka came up injured then, surely, he *could* have played without said injury?

if you weren't sure tierney could play and planned to play xhaka out there, did he really need to play 90 against newcastle?

why take out aubameyang?

is *now* the time to switch to the 6 + 8/10 X 2 formation? like, right *now*?

i like holding. i think he's a solid squaddie and i'm happy he's remained at the club. but, in absence of david luiz with xhaka out *and* the impetus being on us to score a goal, it feels like chambers might have been the better choice?

Deep Wilcox repped this.
  15. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    They have to go full tilt rebuild this summer. I’ll be disappointed if they sign anyone over 24. No more Willian’s, no resigning Luiz, no resigning Lacazette. With the possible exception of the Chelsea game they should play youngsters in the last four games. Let’s see if Balogun and Azeez can compete at a premier league level. Give Nelson some game time, if only to show potential buyers he’s still alive, and Willian should not get off the bench. In fact he shouldn’t even be on the bench.

16. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member+

Mar 10, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't able to watch the match, but damnit, when I saw the lineup I was intrigued and thought "man that's strong". What a disappointment.

Watching highlights now and that Auba header is heartbreaking.

17. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really tough post-match by Mikel. The sharks are circling...

18. Deep Wilcox

Deep Wilcox BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 5, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think Kroenke cares enough to fire Arteta.

19. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably a combination of not caring enough and not knowing enough about what's wrong to make an effective change.

20. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Kroenke’s history of hiring and firing coaches with the Rams and the Denver Nuggets is mixed. He completed his purchase of the Rams in 2010, fired the incumbent head coach after a year and has had just two coaches separated by an interim head coach in the last 10 years.

The Nuggets history is slightly different. KSE purchased the Nuggets in 2000. In the first four years they went through three coaches and an interim coach before hiring George Karl who was there for 9 years. Karl was followed by Brian Shaw, who was fired near the end of his second season and replaced by Michael Cooper as an Interim head coach until the end of the season. KSE then hired Michael Malone who has been their head coach from 2015 to present.

These histories suggest the Kroenkes do value stability. But there is one caveat, other than Karl and Malone, like Arteta, the Denver Nugget coaches were all first time head coaches. This suggests they will pull the trigger quickly on an inexperienced coach if the results aren’t good.

NorthBank repped this.
  21. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member+

Mar 10, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arteta is their Sean McVay

bandwagongooner repped this.
  22. Senor Askew

Senor Askew Member

Jan 19, 2001
    San Francisco, CA.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is not meant as sour grapes, but I'm not sure sustained success in a second rate competition like the UEFA Cup/Europa League is really that much of a feather in one's cap...
    If Emery had used the EL as a stepping stone to further triumphs in the Champions League or domestic leagues fair enough, but as far as I know he hasn't.
    That said, however, good on Emery and his team for swatting aside Arsenal with minimal fuss. Arsenal's toothlessness across the two games was embarrassing.
    AFC are a complete shambles right now.

SF19 repped this.
  23. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    i don't follow the league as much anymore and the nuggets not at all so this is a question more than anything. trying to read their wiki and it looks like this current run started after bringing in connelly to run their front office?

i still have questions if edu can be the main guy.

24. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Their current run began when they drafted Jokic in the second round and then built the team around him.

At the moment I have more faith in Edu, than I do in Arteta.

daedalus repped this.
  25. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What do you base that on? I have only slightly less idea of what Edu actually does compared to Vinai. I don't think I've ever heard Edu speak since he took the job. Have only seen him in one maybe two press photos for a player signing. Oh and I assume he had something to do with gutting our global scouting system, but who the heck knows.