Arsenal vs Villa (EPL) 8 Nov 2020

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by NorthBank, Nov 6, 2020.

1. gunner7

gunner7 Member+

Jul 27, 2008
    Sunshine California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Emi made the right choice

2. gunner7

gunner7 Member+

Jul 27, 2008
    Sunshine California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only game we played really well this season is against Fulham. The first game!!!

3. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member+

Mar 10, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the love of God can we please surround Auba with playmakers

4. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    Grealish, Barkely and Watkins are so much better an attacking unit than Arsenal it's not even funny.

Serengeti_Boy, DaPrince84 and Silva 5 repped this.
  5. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member+

Mar 10, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Grealish is class. Dude has a wonderful 6th sense for the game.

6. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    3-0 Final. Clean sheet for Emi. Interlull coming up before playing Leeds in 2 weeks.

7. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    This is just not a very good team but despite that what a dreadful performance.

8. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Fcuk this team and arteta is shit

proper company man with no spine playing a shit system week in week out

9. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    WTF? Turned my attention to Atlanta and everything went to pot. Seriously, how could Arsenal ship 3 to Villa?

- sigh -

10. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Arsenal’s attack is plodding and predictable. Arteta needs to take make some changes to see if he can get more out of the attack. Move Aubameyang to the center of the pitch. Bench Willian, he is exactly who I was afraid he would be, a 32 year old wing, who as Arsene would say, is blocking the development of Arsenal’s the young wingers. When he’s healthy let Nelson have a chance to prove himself, Give Willock a chance In the center of the midfield. He’s been very good in the Europa League, see if he can duplicate it in the Premier League. I seriously doubt it will happen, but I’d like to see Arteta bring Ozil out of exile in January. Maybe none of these moves work, but what Arsenal are doing right now isn’t working either.

NorthBank, Super Llama and yossarian repped this.
  11. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    Amen. The team just isn't good enough, but this was a setback and Arteta has to figure something out.

12. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    The first half was typical of the Artetaball we've seen recently. Didn't allow many chances but didn't create any either. Villa had only the two real chances and put the ball in the net both times with only the second one counting.

The second half opened up. There were 9 combined shots (Arsenal 5, Villa 4) in the first half but 19 in the second (8 tp 11). Ceballos played further forward than Partey and Arsenal had to push forward to chase a result. Ceballos, and later Pepe and Nketiah, did make the attack look better, but Villa was getting good chances on the counter well before the goals came.

I can't blame Leno for any of the goals. Gabriel didn't do anything wrong. I thought Holding was exposed, but he is who he is and shouldn't be expected to be world-class. Villa has some dangerous attakers.

The Laca/Willian/Auba front 3 is just bad. They don't create anything themselves. When Saka or Bellerin or Tierney or Partey present opportunities, the front 3 aren't good enough to do anything with them. It may not be fair to lump Auba in with Willian and Laca since he's actually produced for the club in recent memory, but playing him on the left isn't working. I hope moving him centrally would help, but I'm also worried we could be seeing the start of his decline.

13. gunner7

gunner7 Member+

Jul 27, 2008
    Sunshine California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel like Arteta is too much of a micromanager. It has its pros and cons. One big con is it doesn’t allow room for creativity

casoccerdad47 repped this.
  14. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Abject. Moribund. Atrocious. Pathetic. I suppose I could go to my thesaurus and get some more descriptors but why bother.

I don't think I'm being hyperbolic in saying that was the worst display we've shat out under Arteta. I'll give Partey a pass since he allegedly had a quad strain early on, but other than him, only Ceballos looked halfway decent.

I'll echo others here: Willian offers almost nothing. It's worrying that Arteta keeps picking him to start and perhaps even more worrying that he sanctioned the deal to bring him to Arsenal in the first place.

Lacazette is washed. Horrible first touch and not being able to even put that header on frame should relegate him to the bench or just Europa league starts. He makes me miss Giroud.

Elneny? Don't know if he was tired or the week of praise went to his head because he was awful too. Able to deal with Pogba and McTominay but can't handle Luiz and McGinn.

Look, by no means am I calling time on Arteta. He's way too young and he's still learning how to manage. More importantly, we have shown progress under him. But this was bad. From the starting XI, to the lack of tactical adjustments to make a difference, it was just bad. Yes, Villa are a much better side than even the one that beat us 1-nil four months ago, but there's no excusing that performance.

The Jitty Slitter and Super Llama repped this.
  15. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member+

Mar 10, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Artetas base ideas seem to be good vs the big sides. It's hard to argue with his record against them. However, when were playing everyone else there needs to be a reevaluation.

16. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    Playing a goal scoring machine in Auba on the left is criminal.

Doing it to fit in Lacazette (football grim reaper, everything he touches dies) is atrocious.

Play Auba centrally. You can't play Arteta ball because the board didn't get you the players you need. Time to adapt to what you do have.

17. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After a long day of house painting I caught up w/ the match on replay tonight.

Ugh that was a worrisome result and performance. We lack overall consistency and are held back by individuals who are just playing subpar. We all know who they are.

And Arteta should spend the interlull doing some serious thinking about who gets playing time, and what tactics we use.

At least my other team NYRB did what they needed to do today to ensure a proper playoff berth, beating the 2nd best team in the league.

18. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not much point in analyzing our play & players, but I have 2 comments about officiating...

In 1' on their disallowed goal, the VAR decision took a full 4 mins. They really have to speed that up! The video review needs to speed up and I also liked Andy Townshend's suggestion that the HR stand near/at the pitchside monitor whilst the VAR is doing his thing, especially when it becomes clear that the decision is difficult.

In 72' their goal scorer Watkins was offside on the penultimate pass from Douglas Luiz. I know they wipe that out when the phase of play changes, but I don't like that aspect of the rule. (along with other aspects). I'd really like to see offside rule reinterpreted, along with handball rule.

19. gunner7

gunner7 Member+

Jul 27, 2008
    Sunshine California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would be mad if we got robbed but we got outclassed which makes me more depressed

20. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Like I said before

got to a fast counter attacking 442 with less space between lines

that’s a big issue for me. The top end is miles away and there is too much space between midfield and the forwards

so many long passes. No one can link between mids and the forwards either. It’s shit. Arteta really isn’t the one

21. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Yes. Trying to press teams to death won't work when we are supposedly the stronger side.

22. super gooner

super gooner Member

Arsenal
    England
    Sep 20, 2020
    How disappointing, but they did thrash Liverpool so we shoudn't be surprised. We have gone toothless up front. So much for having the best defensive record in the league before play. I can't see us putting a good run together at the moment, Leeds will challenge us.

23. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    So 11th in the table and negative GD with a bit more than 20% of the season played

This obviously can't go on for many more games

GunnerJacket repped this.
  24. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    Mkhitaryan has started 7 matches for Roma, gone the full 90 in 6, scored 3 goals and provided 4 assists.

Does anyone think Willian is a significant upgrade over Mkhi? Mkhi wasn't worth what he was paid, but after doing everything they could to offload that contract, they went and gave a new 3 year deal to a similar, but one year older, player.

GunnerJacket and ArsenalMetro repped this.
  25. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I made this argument last season

The midfield players we got rid of, Mkhi, Iwobi & Ramsey were as a group, much better than what we replaced them with. Obviously we needed to turn that group over, but we really did not do it very well and I think doing them all in the same year was not good.