Arsenal vs Tottenham [R]

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by topcow, Nov 8, 2003.

1. martymarts

martymarts Member

Mar 11, 2003
    NYC
    Lauren had a mare on Saturday; no doubt. Mr Dwinkler suggested that he's carrying a knock to one of his Knees. This would explain much, but, not sure that justifies those back passes?

I haven't been convinced that he's the right man for the job, but, he's been playing very well this season. Also worth mentioning that at the end of last season, and most of this, teams have been much more likely to probe for weakness down our left side. That has to reflect back on the job he's been doing, coz Ash is nobody's fool?

Come on you Gunners!!!

2. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    is wenger trying to justify the signing of gilberto? what does he see in GS19 form to insist on including him in the first XI?

3. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He could be, but he doesn't strike me as the pig-headed type. I have no idea what his thinking is on Gilberto, we need to get a newspaper reporter to ask him.

Jumping the gun a bit there fella. Lauren had a bad day on Saturday, it can happen to anyone. If he is carrying a knock he shouldn't have been on the field at all, at least Wenger had the good sense to sub him. I have never thought that he was a good right back, but this season he has played well for the most part. He's going to have a rest now for a few weeks anyway, his ban kicks in for our next game. Time for Moritz Volz to prove his worth in an Arsenal shirt and make the place his own.

4. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    I know i mentioned this last week.. but I think it's time to see Volz in the back four.. with the suspension of lauren, this is ideal.. Seriously Michaec, hasn't Lauren's defensive play been god awful?? and i dont just mean on saturday.. i can remember many times he being caught upfield, failing to make the tackle and thus letting his man fly up the wing.. his decision making is certainly questionable.. He was so much more effective in the midfield with Mallorca and Camaroon.. Volz has impressed the hell outta me since getting regular first team football.. the own goal in manchester really was the last straw for me...

P

5. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I don't think Lauren has been so bad this year. Up until this season I was praying for a right-back, get a kid to come through, anything. But Lauren has been much steadier this season. People have bad games, that's just football.

I think our full-backs are unfairly criticised sometimes. Neither of them is going to get much protection in front of them with Pires and Ljungberg there. They are also a big part of our attacking play, so from time to time they will get caught out of position. It's all about having intelligent midfileders then, especially the middle two, who have to realise where they've left the holes and cover for them and if not win the ball then at least hold up opposition counter-attacks long enough for them to get back.

I never thought I'd be defending Lauren, but that said, if Volz comes in and plays well I'd like to see him left in the side. It's Lauren's fault that he's suspended, so if the young lad performs then he'll have to suck it up on the bench. In fact Lauren's a good player to have on the bench as he can cover several defensive and midfield positions. I do expect Wenger to put Lauren straight back in though, I think Edu's suffering from this at the moment where it doesn't seem to matter how well he plays, Gilberto always gets the nod.

6. OPArsenal

OPArsenal New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I see your point, and I was a little bit quick to call for his head, wasn't I? Let's recall Volz and, if he performs, put Lauren in in a holding midfield posistion. Seems like this'll be good for him (more shins to kick :D) and he won't have to worry about providing the opponents with an assist.

7. KevTheGooner

KevTheGooner Help that poor man!

Dec 10, 1999
    THOF
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Andorra
    Spot on as usual. Cole and Lauren get NO cover from their midfielders. They are put in many more dangerous situations than most fullbacks in top-flight football.

Anyways, full marks to Ljunberg in the match...never tired, worked hard, created chances and finally finished one (thank you Stephen Carr).

8. goonerooni

goonerooni Member

May 21, 2003
    Hertfordshire
    as far as the right back positions go, wnger said hes got three options.. 1) give that justin hoyte a game, hes been on the bench once or twice, 2)stick toure out there but he doesnt want to cos hes been having a blinder at centre back, and his third option was recalling Moritz.

9. jegerpenge

jegerpenge New Member

Jan 18, 2003
    Lake Charles, LA
    i know i am a bit late with my argument, but my idea of putting freddie on the left and pires in the middle seemed to work on saturday against the scum. i'm glad dan keeps supporting me in my idea. i think we all agree that we played a hell of alot better with freddie creating hell down the left side behind henry and pires' deadly passing and runs behind the strikers. i think pires is made for this role of just feeding the strikers and crashing the goal late on attacks like he did this saturday. maybe i am not so wrong now?

10. martymarts

martymarts Member

Mar 11, 2003
    NYC
    I know Bob has said he is willing to go in the middle and Partner PV4 and that may work for the French National team, but, it won't work in the EPL it's too physical a job for RP7. There's at least 2 problems with putting SuperBob in the hole behind 2 forwards;

1. He would need to play alot with his back to goal and hold up the ball. Again this is too physical and a waste of his talent for running at players. DB10, Kanu and Edu are all better at this.

2. This would mean playing 3 balanced (attack/defence) midfielders behind him. Which would be PV4 and 2 from Rayzer, Edu and Gilberto. Freddie would never get a look in!

With our current rosta 4 5 1 would make more sense, but this isn't every ones favorite formation - too defensive. This would leave 3 central midfielders and 2 more behind the lone TH14. It might be interesting to allow Fred and Bob to roam free behind Titi, but, it would mean a lot of running and I'm not sure either of them have the level of fitness to deal? That means playing SW14 and again you lose Freddie!

To create more forward options we need someone who is able to hold the ball, Kanu did pretty well against the scum, and I can't see how that can produce a formation that allows SupeBob to play out and out through the middle?

11. OPArsenal

OPArsenal New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I liked how Kanu didn't give away the ball near as much as he has in the past, and he created some great opportunities for TH14 as well. If he keeps on playing like this, maybe he'll get a starting spot...

12. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    As I said before against the likes of Anderton & King great. But against Keane & Scholes? Gerrard & Hamann? Lampard & Makalele? No, I didn't think so.