Arsenal vs Spuds (EPL) 14 Mar 2021

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by NorthBank, Mar 12, 2021.

1. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

daedalus and NorthBank repped this.
  2. leppercut

leppercut Member+

Oct 10, 2006
    SLC and Anchorage
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hope that is the last we hear of it

3. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If true, not exactly the mature thing to do. Especially if you're a captain.

It appears that Arteta took a principled yet risky decision to bench Auba. And on the day, it payed off.

But given all the close calls that could've gone either way, he was certainly lucky that we came away with 3pts, thus largely avoiding the criticism that would've been heaped on him, had the ball not bounced our way as much as it did.

Come to think of it, if we'd had lost or drawn, Auba too would've been in for more criticism... having let the team down.

This may be a point of inflection, hopefully for the better. Only time will tell. Starting with Thursday.

4. super gooner

super gooner Member

Arsenal
    England
    Sep 20, 2020
    I think you are getting this all wrong,I did not say it shouldn't have been a penalty, I said I was worried VAR would overturn the penalty.

yossarian repped this.
  5. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No chance. The more iffy situation would've been if Oliver hadn't awarded it initially. Then, because of the very reasons you mention, I think there's a chance VAR (wrongly) doesn't overrule Oliver.

6. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    As I recall Arsenal were still trying to resign RVP when they signed Giroud. Both Giroud and Podolski were signed relatively early in the window, somewhat atypically, and Santi followed in August in an apparent attempt to mollify RVPs concerns about Arsenal’s ambition. Unfortunately, it had no impact on RVP. He would probably have had a field day playing off of Giroud’s knock downs and flicks.

7. InTheSun

InTheSun Member+

Oct 20, 2005
    The Andes Mountains
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Yes. I would even say it's a disingenuous argument. Quite often it's even a yellow card when a player clatters or leaves the sole of the boot in even when the ball is away. Cry more, sperz.

yossarian repped this.
  8. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this is baaaad. Arteta has an absolutely terrible record of dealing with this stuff. Auba is good and (by all accounts) well-liked. Alienating him for this would be a huge mistake.

Deep Wilcox repped this.
  9. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Too soon to tell.

NorthBank repped this.
  10. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I mean how loud does he normally rev his engine before it becomes "angry'?

yossarian repped this.
  11. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    :ROFLMAO:

I think the leaving early thing is more an issue, but who knows? But file this under "wait and see".

12. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Sounds like a load of bullshit

these players act like children, all will be forgotten when he bags again

13. gunner7

gunner7 Member+

Jul 27, 2008
    Sunshine California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member+

Mar 10, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The validity of the decision is not dependant on the result of the match. If our team captain can't show up on time for the biggest match of the season so far then deal with the consequences. There won't be any violins playing for you.

15. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes and no.

You & I, and I suspect a few others on this board, would agree that the rules apply to all, whatever your rank or value within the team, and if you break a rule you pay the consequences.

But there are plenty of other people, perhaps the majority, who might be inclined to turn a blind eye on this, UNLESS there are negative consequences to the team or it's results. At which point a sizable mass of fans would be hating on one or both of these gents. I think it's a symptom of the extremely short-term, unprincipled, undisciplined thinking that goes on in modern society.

16. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    i actually think it was the correct decision.

but there is a snarky side of me whose first thought was, "thank goodness aubameyang didn't take a trip halfway round the world in a pandemic. he might have been . . . . . . . . . . what? forced to play every game?"

casoccerdad47 repped this.
  17. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    To me, it is on a coach to set clear expectations and clear punishments for infractions.

If it is clear that showing up late to meetings will be punished, the player has no one to be mad at but himself. If I was his teammate, I'd be pissed at the player and not the coach.

If it isn't clear and the rules are applied arbitrarily, then the player kind of has a right to be pissed at his coach for benching him for a big derby.

It was reported that Auba had been late to meetings before and this wasn't the first infraction. Did Arteta give him ample warnings? Or did he take a stand against actions that were previously acceptable?

18. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    this was the part i read why i supported the decision so wholeheartedly. apparently, he has been late before and missed a covid-19 testing before a euro trip.

19. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    So if Arteta said "if you are late again, I don't care if it is a cup final, I'm going to bench you", then Auba has no one to blame but himself.

If Arteta said, "hey, try not to be late again" and Auba wasn't really punished, then Auba kinda has a reason to be pissed.

daedalus repped this.
  20. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Ran across these somewhat damning stats from Orbinho

21. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure the Sun or the Mirror will interview an expert in the differences between angry revving and joyful revving.

The Jitty Slitter and Tonerl repped this.
  22. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. Or an even closer analogy. In the September 2019 NLD, we all remember Xhaka's idiotic scything down of Son in the box. Well---watch the incident---Son gets the ball in the box, doesn't have a shooting option, so he plays a poor pass back towards the middle of the box. Pretty sure it doesn't reach its intended recipient but meanwhile locomotive Xhaka has sliced through him after the ball is gone. Ref immediately points to the spot, and I don't remember any of us complaining about it other than about Xhaka having another bout of idiocy.

maskito, InTheSun and daedalus repped this.
  23. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    Exactly, and if we lose because we didn't have his goals, absolutely no one would point the finger at Arteta.

If you want to build good club culture, you have standards. This is holding our captain to them.

24. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You don’t think people would blame Arteta? You’re having a laugh.

mebeSajid, daedalus and NorthBank repped this.
  25. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gee who might be propping up these stats? Luiz presumably is the leader, but who else? Mustafi? Xhaka?