Arsenal vs. Southampton [R] Pre/Dur/Post Match Comments

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Catfish, Oct 25, 2004.

1. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe
    Your right - the 3 points were thrown away by us. They were as bad as Everton on the 1st day of the season!! We had loads of chances. The penalty miss whih hit the post in front of me, the feeble Pires shot that he should of scored with, the Ljungberg chip that didn't work etc. We had plenty of chances. it was just one fo those games. When Cesc came on though, he changed the game - his passing and vision was supurb.
    Van Persie took the goal very well, he looked composed. I thought Edu again looked dis-interested, Cygan had his worst game this season and Cole was fantastic. Jens playd ok, but was maybe at fault for the 2nd goal if im honest. At least we didn't lose, but it doesn't give out a lot of confidence for the game on Tues which is going to be tough.

On a sour note, at Finsbury Park station at about 18.10pm my time (so two hours ago ish) I was on the tube from Arsenal station and the train was just pulling out of Finsbury Park, when two Spurs scum spotted my shirt and started trying to whack the windows with cans and bottles. The train stopped and for a moment I thought the doors were going to open and id get a kicking - unfortunatly there were only a few women and children fans around. I was just with one friend, Simon, luckily the driver had seen them and didn't open the doors but called security. For 10-15 mins, they stood outside the window banging and spitting all over it. They are absolute mongrals and should be shot. They don't deserve to bhe in the Premiership and are a disgrace to Football fans. November 13th is going to be a horrible day.

2. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Rickbreese,

I'm so glad nothing happened to you. I enjoy ribbing a supporter of another club, BUT I would never want to fight. I'm more of a defensive fighter. If someone threatens me, my family, or friends. I'm coming at you like a rabid pitbull. Violence over sports is insane. Those pigs were abused children and didn't get enough hugs from their mummy and daddy!

3. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe
    Im the same. I don't see the point of it. Absolute idiots. Nov 13th will be mayhem. I intend to take my camera and try to get a few pics to show what it can be like. If anyone has seen Football Factory, its similar........

4. Gunner Phan

Gunner Phan Member

Dec 12, 2003
    Gramercy, NYC
    Good to hear you are okay Rick.

Hello, Mr. Van Persie!!!!

GP

5. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry to hear that Rick. Whatever happened to friendly rivalries? Anyway, glad nothing happened to you or anyone on the train.

What a game. I'm dissapointed with the 1 point and us throwing away what should've been a sure win, but damn, what a game! Arsenal definitely had all the chances in the world and should've won easily. However, you gotta credit them for coming back and earning the draw, although you could easily fault them for giving it up in the first place. Edu certainly looked like he was somewhere else. He just doesn't look the same and doesn't have that wide smile of his. Vieira seemed to be a bit off today too. Bergkamp for the most part seemed like he didn't belong there but came around later in the match. Aside from the Van Persei goal, my favorite moment was when Thierry put that chip forward and got around the defender and made a fantastic pass to Ljungberg. That and when they showed the replay of Niemi staring at the screen and Henry pointing out that he indeed was onside. Not the best of games played, but certainly exciting.

Does anyone else not like having Reyes on the wing? I think he should be playing forward at all times so Pires can play on the wing.

6. Przybylinski

Przybylinski New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    Smallville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Rick - good to see you didn't have to deal with the scum. I was in a pub in Vegas and there were a couple of Scum fans who wouldn't stop bothering me about the Manure game. I felt like cracking them over the head with a bottle, but I just laughed them off and asked them where they were in Europe and the League. I guess it didn't help that I kept calling them scum, but I guess you run into them all over the place. At least all the fighting at the pub was between Sox and Yankee fans.

I should have known what I was in for today. I had a relatively crappy Birthday yesterday and all I asked for was an Arsenal victory - so this played right along with the crappy birthday.

Well - They really blew 3 points today. I don't just blame Cygan but Toure as well. He was behind in marking on one of the goals. If Sol was in there it certainly would have made a difference.

Henry had some great flashes today. The keeper for Southhampton really made some great saves today. DB went from playing like crap in the start to helping create some good chances and the goal.

RvP - todays savior and almost pulled off the win. I hope to see him in more after his midweek play and today.

Well is sets us back a little, but there's still plenty of games left. Heas up boys we're going to do it.

7. fox point fury

May 19, 2001
    Providence
    Those who predicted that we'd score 6 could've been right if only Arsenal's shooting was a little better. TH14's pk miss wasn't that bad, if it was an inch to the left it would've been monstrous. Niemi made some very good saves but we didn't test him nearly enough considering the opportunities we created. I agree that Cesc brought our offense back to life.

I'm wondering if anyone who saw the Panthanaikos game could comment on any similarities between Olisadebe's goal and Delap's second.

8. dwinkler

dwinkler New Member

Aug 11, 2000
    Denver, CO
    Nope. The goal went into the net at 91:47. And, there should have been more than 2 minutes anyway, with Reyes down for an extended spell because of his hand, as well as the goals/subs in the 2nd half (aren't they supposed to add like 30 seconds or something for each one?).

Anyway, look, games like this are great. Upsets are what make sports interesting. If there were no upsets, then let's just give Chelsea or ManUre or the Yankees the league every year. Southampton hadn't won a road game that they'd trailed in 10 years. They hadn't won at Highbury in 16 years. They hadn't scored a league goal in something like 8 hours. Rory Delap had 3 goals in 150 games for the Saints, then drills two great headers within 15 minutes of each other. It's sports - crazy stuff like this happens.

9. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe
    Unfortunatly there is no such thing as a friendly rivalry......

I must say one thing which Ive thought about - I have been asked for tickets for every game home and away so far - apart from Spurs!!!!! Im finding it very amusing.. Are my reports of them putting everyone off?!! Come on guys, make your next trip Spurs away!!

10. babyduck85

babyduck85 New Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Malaysia
    gotta agree with that... they really disappointed today. i guess their morale was pretty low from the manure game, but i was counting on them to believe in "bouncebackability" (my new fave word :rolleyes: ) right now everything looks shaky. we were never that convincing in europe, and that was with the boost of being unbeaten... i'm terribly worried right now.

just have to hope they learn from this game, and learn fast...! pana is a must-win if we wanna qualify convincingly.

and yeah, thank god for portsmouth...!! :D

11. dwinkler

dwinkler New Member

Aug 11, 2000
    Denver, CO
    Demi Moore

P.S. What in tarnation was Demi Moore doing at the game? Mike, Coach...has she ponied up her $3.65 for the ArseAm dues?

My first thought when I saw her was, "hmmm, interesting." My next thought was "Geez, does this mean that that airhead Ashton Kutcher is an Arsenal fan?" Blah.

12. king_saladin

king_saladin New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    MI, USA
    While being a neutral fan, I couldn't help but cheer for Southampton by the second half.

I wasn't suprised that they scored in the added time. Even around the 88-90th minute, I figured they still had a good chance. They were just dominating the ball in that zone.

Very exciting to watch.

13. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe

Was at both games and both times behind the goal. I can say they were very similar except for one thing -

In Athens Jens came for the ball because he knew he had to try after Edu didn't mark up. Jens was criticised so much that this time he didn't try to come out and the marking was still awful and the goal still went in. Shows its not just Jens fault eh Phishy...... ;)

14. TheImposter

TheImposter Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Centerville, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Demi Moore

I have to admit, at the beginning of the shot, when it seemed to be just another "babe in the crowd" moment and she had her head turned, I was thinking "C'mon, c'mon, face the camera". Then when she did and they said who she was I must admit to being disappointed.

Was able to watch most of the second half, and it sure did look like we missed a lot of chances. What exactly was the problem on Delap's goals? I will certainly admit to having one of the less trained football/soccer eyes around these boards, but it looked like a combination of perfectly placed ball and no one goalside. Who would some of you experts say was responsible, if anyone?

Is Van Persie bouncebackalicious?

Let's get it going again, boys!

15. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    i havent read thru all the posts yet.... just wanted to comment on a few things...
    simply not good enough... zero effort by the boys until they had to score a goal...
    henry's missed PK.. well, it happens.... Cygan was an embarassment marking on set pieces.. prior to van persie coming in, the most un-inspired performance since blackburn at ewood park a couple seasons ago... Edu just doesnt do it.. period. Cesc needs to be in there from the beginning.. i cant believe im saying that about a 17 year old... vieira just sucked.. period.... ljungberg was pathetic as well (no concentration)..
    even God was totally out of form... les boss better light a fire under their ass cuz that is just not excusable at home vs the worst side in the league... i guess it is a long season and you have off days, but our B side would of won that game, cuz they would of actually cared. least sperz and manyoo lost today~ im sure ill post some more thoughts.... just a quick hit~
    tx tech/k state is bout to come on...
    cheers boys

16. splara10

splara10 New Member

Aug 18, 2004
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good lord, Rick. Glad to hear you and Simon escaped unscathed. Freakin' scum. I really want to come for the away game, but it's looking like work is going to be crazy this month and I won't be able to get away.

As for the match today, I think we seemed really jaded. Arsene mentioned a hangover from Sunday, and I think that's right on. Passing just wasn't as crisp and quick as it usually is, and some key players (God, Vieira) had an off day.

That said, I honestly think that Van Persie's goal could really turn our confidence. Sure, we didn't win, but we were staring down the barrell of what seemed like another loss and we still managed to pull it out at the last gasp. I think that will help to re-invigorate the boys ahead of the CL match mid-week and Palace away. Would love to see us back on track before Sperz on the 13th.

17. AmericanGunner

AmericanGunner New Member

Sep 7, 2003
    U.S.A.
    Well, to add to the posts already, the referee (again!!) denied us a chance at a game winner. Henry got fouled as the seconds were winding down and got posession of the ball but instead of letting him play on, the referee INCORRECTLY stops play to give us a free kick. Henry had a straight line to the goal and could have created something. It wasn't the first time as well. Ash got foul and continued and the referee called him back instead of signalling play on.

van Persie will be a monster!! After he gets settled, they'll be removing van Nistlerooy from the back pages and replacing it with van Persie.

18. king_saladin

king_saladin New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    MI, USA
    Nevermind
    To make my post useful - why is it that Arsenal has such low attendance, knowing that they are in London, and are the most successful EPL team?

19. Ruby_99

Ruby_99 Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Pittsburgh, USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Highbury's capacity is around 38,500 (stadiumguide.com). There is a long wait for tickets.

Arsenal's new ground, Ashburton Grove, will have a capacity in the 60,000 range. The season ticket backlog will likely be taken care of.

20. Big Blue Evil

Big Blue Evil New Member

Mar 20, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    After reading your reports about Cygan, and noticing one P Senderos was amongst the subs, would it be time to give Phillippe a run? I know Arsene said he wouldn't play until december, but he did play in the league cup.

21. GutBomb

GutBomb Red Card

Aug 28, 2003
    Outside Boston
    cygan gave up an unnecisary free kick that led to the corner that led to the 2nd goal. i was livid about his performance. he belongs on the reserve squad, or worse... sitting his ass on the bench WATCHING the reserves play. He has no business in the premier league.

22. Dave_M

Dave_M New Member

May 25, 2004
    Enfield
    My bro is a Spurs fan. Lost of his friend are too. Fair few a gooners to. We all watch games down the pub. Friendly banter between both camps. Unfortunatly you only remember the yobs, but I dont think its entirely fair to condem an entire fan base on the actions of a minority.

And rick you had a mate with you, if they had have got on the train there is one great leveler in this world. I dont care how big or tough a guy thinks he is when your knee finds their groin they are going to double over. Nother swift knee to the head and hope to GOD you knock em out, else run like ************. Hardly sporting but in self defense dont think anyone would think any less of you :)

As for the game. I really enjoyed it despite the result. Real emotional roller coaster. Couldnt see much of the penalty from the North Bank but it looked to be unlucky rather than a howler of a mistake. RVP's goal DEEP into injury time was right infront of me though. Absoloute peach. Entire noth bank was going bananas for someone to stop pissing about and just have a godam crack at it. Looked to me like everyone was bottling it. Boy rose to the occassion though.

Can't deny though, we were LUCKY to walk away with a point.

23. Dave_M

Dave_M New Member

May 25, 2004
    Enfield

Attendence isnt low though. Half the time you cant even get tickets. Don't think ive ever seen a 38,500 full house though. When you consider that some of that seating is away fans who wont always sell out, and that I *THINK* (might be wrong) some of the seats never go on sale due to poor sight lines and the attendance figures published can seem lower. Also In champions league games the advertising hoardings are higher, meaning the front rows of the stadium cant be seated for these games.

The season ticket back log will at BEST be halved at Ashburton Grove, but it will still be stupidly long

24. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    I blame him (of course) and Cygan for both goals. He doesnt go after the crosses NOR does he save any headers directed at the net... period! he could of gotten to that second one for sure... absolutely horrible marking and horrible keeping... Cygan isn't premiership quality and quite frankly, lehmann isn't either.. i'm still waiting for that great save that wins a game... Rick, what am i missing mate? I just DO NOT SEE IT!! he is pathetic... mark this down, AW gets a keeper in the next transfer window..

25. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hell, I'd pull hair if it got someone to back off. If there's anything I've learned from pro-wrestling it's cheat to win. Well ok, school taught me that too.

I honestly thought Cygan had a decent game. I think maybe you can fault hiim for that second goal and not getting high enough in the air to clear it. It was close range and a rocket of a header so I don't fault Lehmann for missing it either.

Still, I was highly entertained. Sure, Arsenal should've been playing with the urgency they did in the last 10 mins for the entire game but we could've just as easily lost. Do you think the end is near for Edu? He just seemed so disinterested today and a huge contrast from when he was favorite last year.