Arsenal vs. Rosenborg BK [R] (CL) Pre/Post Match

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Catfish, Dec 4, 2004.

1. Henrik

Henrik New Member

Aug 24, 2004
    Rotherham could have beaten Rosenborg tonight, but we are through and we are growing in confidence. Things could be much worse than that.

2. fedwood

fedwood Member

Sep 13, 2004
    does anyone else think Almunia looks stoned always

his eyes look like hes high
    his mouth is always slightly opened looking like hes drooling

3. savan

savan New Member

May 16, 2004
    Norway
    Braaten is both quick, got good technique, and is veery strong.
    Left back? Jan Gunnar Solli or Stensaas?
    Old guy or young you?

4. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe

LOL,

A very subdued post from Henrik who is now wishing he went to the game!! :D

(sorry mate, had to tease you!!)

5. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    :rolleyes: There were at least 5 posters who were "very concerned" about the Chelsea game, and feared nothing better than a win. A thrashing of a really bad Rosenborg team, and suddenly all is well.
    Most football fans really are manic depressive.

6. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe

Stale Stensaas - he played well in Norway and looked good tonight. He looks like he can play at a much higher level.

7. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe

The amount I fork out in tickets, travel and bloody stupid bets, what to you expect!! :D

8. savan

savan New Member

May 16, 2004
    Norway
    Ah.. Ståle!
    Well.. Yeah, he's one of the "old generation" players who RBK is strugglin to replace. Brattbakk who played today even played when Rosenborg beat AC Milan in Italy to reach the quarter finals in '99!
    That's why RBK is struggling this season, it's not an easy job to replace these players.

If you had seen Ørjan Berg play (out due to injury) Stensaas would have been a shadow of him. Best midfielder without a doubt in Norway/Scandinavia. :)
    Braaten did good today, showed that we have alot to expect from him.

How did you guys think the match would have turned out if Arsenal played like Rosenborg? With ONLY English players? :rolleyes: ;)
    How many did you have on the field? 2-3?
    RBK were a whole Norwegian side...

9. Its only Ray Parlour

Aug 3, 2003
    London
    How many undefeated teams in the Champions League? I know Arsenal are one of them! :)

10. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    More power to you. Inter's undefeated in SerieA, too. ;)

11. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    I suppose manic depressive is another term for crazy...........;)

12. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    not saying you won't beat Chavski (it will certainly aid us, although a 0-0 draw would be wonderful) but are Rosenborg really that good minus several starters? I think its a good result and one u needed but i can't say that it makes you world beaters....

also, I don't want to hear any nonsense about slight injuries and fatigue to TH the next time he goes through a rough patch of form because after all this talk about him not being 100% Wenger plays him the entire game when it was clear that he was not needed to get the result.

Question: Who is your penalty taker? Do you have a set no. 1?

13. fedwood

fedwood Member

Sep 13, 2004
    1. Henry
    2. Pires

but from what i have observed this season Henry will always take them except if he has missed one in the game, he was the one brought down for the penalty or if somebody asks

14. fedwood

fedwood Member

Sep 13, 2004
    When the managers went to shake hands at the end
    did anyone else notice one of the Rosenborg guys who came after their manager was approaching Wenger with his hand out to shake and at that point Wenger like turned towards the tunnel and it looked like he snubbed him and the Rosenborg staff guy like had his hand out as Wenger passed by.. i felt so bad for him.

15. mad theory

mad theory New Member

May 10, 2004
    London
    Flamini is fast becoming one of my fav players, him and Cesc were brilliant.

Vieira who?

16. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think that's 100 percent true. Jens is fairly solid technically and I am not one of the Lehmann bashers in this forum but he does make blunders on occasion. The Viduka goal in the FA Cup against Leeds last year and the clearance/failed clearance into Gudjohnsen in the first leg of the CL are two that come to mind. Yes, Gudjohnsen still had to hit it in from a tough angle but for the botched clearance he would have never had a chance.

17. Gunners11

Gunners11 Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Who does Arsenal match up with? Is it a second place team from a group or is it a random draw?

18. fedwood

fedwood Member

Sep 13, 2004
    i think they put first placers in a barrel
    and 2nd placers in a barrel
    draw a 1 V 2

19. splara10

splara10 New Member

Aug 18, 2004
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cheers from the West Coast (of the U.S.).

Decided to wait and watch the match on tape delay, so I'm just getting up on the boards now. Thought I'd throw a few things down before bed.

1. Justin Hoyte - Really solid performance from the youngster. With all the focus on central midfield, I felt a bit like Lauren's suspension was a bit forgotten. Hoyte stepped up and was great today - on top of everything, fighting. I wonder how Eboue will compare come January (reports from the Belgium boards say he's quite sound technically, but lacks pace).

2. Flamini - Have to agree with Mad Theory that this guy is growing on me. Fought the whole match for every ball - really gutsy in the tackle too. Maybe a little overzealous in a few instances, but who could knock his spirit? Nice tough foil for the more attacking Cesc.

3. Cesc - By far the best goal, no doubt. Solid overall, but he did have some bad moments (poor back pass to Sol late in the first half, a few less than ideal passing choices).

4. Reyes - A tale of two halves. Great first, average second. He may have taken his foot off the gas to save something for Sunday, although he had good moments now and again in the second half, particularly late on (I loved the chip despite the miss).

5. Van Persie - Missed two relatively easy chances before bagging the fifth goal. A little eager to celebrate given the misses, but I still really want to see what he can do across a full 90 minutes in the EPL.

6. Almunia - Great save, but some bad mistakes. Part of me wants to believe that he's just nervous, but after errors in three games what can you say? I'll throw down and say that I don't think Lehmann would've made that save, I just don't think he's that quick. In Wenger we trust, I guess.

All told, a great performance against a mediocre side. Sol seems to have stabilized the back four, I just hope Ash looks a little brighter on Sunday (he seemed a bit jaded tonight, no?).

20. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well you can only beat what's in front of you I suppose. It was a fairly easy victory over a poor Rosenborg side, good to get five different goalscorers though. In truth we could have had another five apart from some poor finishing from our Dutch strikers.

Two things:
    1. Once again we looked shaky on set-pieces, one leading directly to the Rosenborg goal. John Terry and his mates must be licking their lips.
    2. Almunia was poor in goal again. I think Lehmann isn't much good either, I can't for the life of me see how Taylor and Stack can be behind this pair of muppets. I was hoping for some reinforcement of the defence during the transfer window, but a decent goalkeeper now looks like the number one priority.

21. savan

savan New Member

May 16, 2004
    Norway
    Arsenal should be thanking RBK for that they had their faith in their own hands yesterday - espicially Wenger!

22. arsenalgirl30016

Dec 10, 2003
    Flo Rida
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am willing to make a very hefty bet that somehow we will draw either Chelsea or Man U.
    How's that for being born under a bad sign? ;)

23. Dave_M

Dave_M New Member

May 25, 2004
    Enfield
    Actually its more like weve lost 2 games, but it almost feels like never to me. Besides we only sing when were winning :)

24. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Henry takes them unless he is the one fouled fpr the penalty. Then it's Pires. Of course it seems that Lauren gets the job against Sperz.

25. Arsenal_pwns_all

Arsenal_pwns_all New Member

Aug 13, 2004
    Actually, IMO Pires is a much better penalty-taker than Henry. His penalty kicks have much more power in them than Henry's. Maybe Henry realizes that and is letting Pires take all the penalty kicks?