Arsenal vs Newcastle Magpies (FAcup) 09Jan2021

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by And_ROOS, Jan 2, 2021.

1. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    upload_2021-1-3_13-51-54.png

January 9 - 5:30pm: vs Newcastle (Emirates FA Cup) - BBC one
    January 9 - 12:30pm: vs Newcastle (Emirates FA Cup) - ESPN+
    January 9 - 12:30pm: vs Newcastle (Emirates FA Cup) - (Can't find who is showing it in Canada)
    January 10 - 4:30am: vs Newcastle (Emirates FA Cup) - Bein Sports/Foxsports

[​IMG]

Well, what a change goals and wins makes to a club. 2 weeks ago we were talking relegation battles, couldn't buy a goal from open play, Arteta getting sacked, selling Laca for 5p and a bottle of water, and trying to finish top 6 in the Championship.

Play the kids we cried, and look what happens.

We now face Newcastle in an FA Cup match, where I hope we rest our kids and leave them to tear it up in the PL and EL, and use the FA Cup to try and run Auba back into form, and let guys like Willian, Pepe and Mustafi just run around here where they can't really do us any damage.

Hopefully we keep the good times rolling, and get the W here and defend our cup.

Special mention to Rob Holding getting his first Arsenal Premier League assist on the Tierney goal :D:D

COME ON ARSENAL!

2. HomeatHighbury

Mar 25, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Alll hail threadstarter And_Roos!

Silva 5, maskito and mebeSajid repped this.
  3. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We should beat them handily because even though they are ok defensively, we now have a set up to pen them in

Mari is standing out as a quality player. We need to see him and Gabriel as a pairing

danielh and maskito repped this.
  4. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    1 goal conceded in 384 Premier League minutes.

thebigman and maskito repped this.
  5. super gooner

super gooner Member

Arsenal
    England
    Sep 20, 2020
    Brace yourselves, Johnson adressing the nation at 8pm, we could be going into a full national lockdown again. I don't know where that will leave football.

NorthBank repped this.
  6. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for that heads-up.

A week ago, my assumption was that the EPL (in league with the government) just wanted to get through the Festive Fixtures period, with all of the implied TV money, and then seriously evaluate a pause. Which would very likely go better (and shorter?) than the first pause last Spring, but which would still be very disruptive to team training/fitness/etc... not to mention income.

It will be interesting to see if health is placed above wealth this time. I was pretty surprised when Johnson decided to announce the Covid B117 outbreak which instantly made the UK persona non grata in terms of international travel & trade. Assuming they were smart enough to know that was the likely outcome, then it indicates a level of ballsiness, openness and adherence to scientific/factual advice that had been lacking before.

And if that's true, then a more dramatic nationwide lockdown, which would affect even the sacred cow that is the EPL, could indeed be coming.

p.s. You asked how are things in other countries. In the USA, although mask-wearing has increased, there is far from 100% compliance. And there are many too many cognitive disconnects between the still developing health risks and the collective desire to operate as if things are normal. Which includes going to movie theaters, restaurants, ongoing college & pro sports leagues, etc, etc.

7. super gooner

super gooner Member

Arsenal
    England
    Sep 20, 2020
    I put it here just to let you all know that football may be stalled for a while. Ergo, Our next fixture may not happen, which just happens to be this thread.

8. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No worries. Your heads-up about BoJo was good and appreciated. That's why I repped it.

The more off-topic discsussion that followed by Chjoak, me & others (including mask debate) was just a response to what I recall was a question by you about how are things in other countries. But now I don't see that question in this thread so maybe it was actually asked in a different thread? In which it's all on ME for driving this thread off the tracks! ;)

9. super gooner

super gooner Member

Arsenal
    England
    Sep 20, 2020
    Well, it was a general question about sport in other countries as we were having matches postpones. I've noticed that threads in other sections don't always get resonses anyway, probably because nobody looks at them! Anyway, we are in full lockdown, but no mention of sports being cancelled so for now it goes ahead. I wouldn't be surprised to see it called off though.

10. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    On the one hand, devastated for a lack of football.

On the other hand, my match day streak is going to last a loooooooooooong time.

11. super gooner

super gooner Member

Arsenal
    England
    Sep 20, 2020
    Don't worry , for now elite sports are allowed to continue.

12. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I was looking at the old match threads and our opponents have been

Bird
    Bird

This one

Bird

and the next two are

Bird
    Bird

13. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Arteta wanted Gabriel and Mari because he wanted left footed CBs to pair with right footed CBs, I.e. he wanted to provide a balance to passing out of the back. Do you really imagine he is use two left footed CBs To destroy the balance he deems important to playing out of the back.

in addition, the defending Mari has had to do to date was largely dealing with balls in the air, which he is quite good at. I’m yet to be convinced he can deal with dribblers and late runners into the box. It was Sterling after all that nearly broke his ankle.

14. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haha. After that we take on saints, devils & wolves. Sounds scarier than birds.

15. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Serengeti_Boy repped this.
  16. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    Yeah but Saints and Devils don't actually exist, and Portuguese Wolves aren't as dangerous as the ones in North America.

That said the Devil does love a penalty.

17. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    I am happy with Partey getting minutes as long as its risk free. Throw him in with 10 minutes to go if we are up.

But if there is even 1% chance of reinjuring himself, don't play him. We need him for the rest of the season.

19. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there gonna be a match tomorrow? @super gooner what say ye?

20. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    Pool played Villa overnight don't see why the match would be off..

21. super gooner

super gooner Member

Arsenal
    England
    Sep 20, 2020
    #21 super gooner, Jan 9, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
    You're probably taking the piss with this post, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if matches were cancelled soon, the Covid situation here in the UK is terrible, especially in London and footballers are going down like flies with positive Covid tests. This fixture will not tbe cancelled though, however, It is going to be bitterly cold, but not snowing. Gloves on!!!

22. super gooner

super gooner Member

Arsenal
    England
    Sep 20, 2020
    This match is going to be shown on the BBC. Woohoo!!!

23. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    No Partey.
    Tierney plays again, I'd like to see him get a rest. And what does AMN need to do to play?
    Willian gets a shot at playing the ESR role, I guess.
    No Balogun, Nketiah on the bench, Auba starts up top.

cooper7d7 and GunnerJacket repped this.
  24. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Paging Peter Griffin. Peter Griffin to the Emirates stage, please.

Bluto11 repped this.
  25. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    An... interesting(?) lineup.

If the defense holds it should be enough to win, pending how much Newcastle puts into this affair.