Arsenal vs Man City (EPL) 21Feb2021

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by And_ROOS, Feb 20, 2021.

1. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't watch - but it's pleasing we only lost by 1. That's the state of affairs at the moment. :thumbsdown:

daedalus repped this.
  2. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    So we took 4 points from our last 5 games

Obviously we did not expect to win vs City, but we really are not better than mid table

hard to see where we go from here unless Arteta can produce soemthing close to 2 PPG in the final 13 games

but likely we can hope for 18-20 points at best

DaPrince84 repped this.
  3. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    just watched highlights and, like many, i was fairly surprised we lost by just 1.

i don't understand why, given he had probably his best stretch in arsenal shirt on the left, pepe was back on the right.

i don't understand why pablo mari is inserted into the lineup against manchester city after missing eight gajillion games (give or take a few).

bellerin was mugged by cancelo later in the game and argued his yellow. i guarantee that's a red if the foul was by an arsenal player.

4. gunner7

gunner7 Member+

Jul 27, 2008
    Sunshine California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man City just coasting the whole game. Pep didn’t even bother to dress up. He just threw on a hoodie and enjoyed his Sunday.

super gooner and Silva 5 repped this.
  5. footykid

footykid Member+

Jan 10, 2005
    Mississauga, Ont
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    So... That was fixed, yeah?

6. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Rob Holding isn’t good enough.

super gooner repped this.
  7. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The guy who couldn’t get up for a header against 5’7” Raheem Sterling. That Rob Holding.

8. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I don’t want Luiz because he high cost and old, but the guy is a leader and his teammates always say great things about him. I rate their opinions over yours and Tim Howard’s.

9. maskito

maskito Member+

Arsenal
    Jan 14, 2006
    Nashville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It doesn’t bother me much. I see the argument about Luiz, but you also have to respect that City team. To storm off the field pouting would be naive and out-of-touch, IMO.

Plus, There were several other Arsenal players backslapping with City players who: Bellerin, Cedric, and Martinelli. Why is nobody calling them out?

Tonerl repped this.
  10. maskito

maskito Member+

Arsenal
    Jan 14, 2006
    Nashville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn’t watch the whole match, but for the most part I liked what I saw from Mari. He puts in a good tackle, has really good control in tight spaces, stays calm, and (so far) hasn’t been prone to making huge errors. For his first game back in months against City, I’d say it was a promising/encouraging performance.

11. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw Pep's post-match interview where he endlessly praised Arteta. I think he's trying to keep those 6 automatic points as long as he can.

Serengeti_Boy, DaPrince84 and maskito repped this.
  12. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll call them out, at least any player who was actually in the match, i.e. Bellerin.

I noticed at the time there were AFC players other than Luiz but I didn't notice which ones, because Luiz was such the focus, and had the biggest happy smile.

I guess I'm old school this way. I'm not saying anyone has to pout, stomp off the pitch, or be asshats, but I don't really like this aspect of the modern game where after a lost battle, lots of players socialize happily on the pitch, with their mates on the other team.

And I'm not telling anyone they have to agree with me or Tim Howard or the others who've expressed likewise.

Lastly my post was also about how I've never really liked Luiz... before we signed him, when we signed him, or since he's played for us. There's some things about him that just rub me wrong.

And I'm also not telling anyone they have to agree with that either.

13. maskito

maskito Member+

Arsenal
    Jan 14, 2006
    Nashville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't want Luiz back next season either, but this was relatively normal banter as far as I'm concerned. In other words, you can dislike Luiz, and still defend him on this. It's not binary.

And as far as I know, nobody knows what Luiz was actually saying. He may have been venting in frustration about the game, but came off to Gundogan in a humorous way.

Mountain vs. Molehill from my perspective.

14. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everybody has their pet peeves I guess. This is one of mine. And from his expression, he wasn't venting. It looked like happy pleasantries. Did you watch it?

He's far from unique in this regard. Plenty of players have been doing this for years. It's just that Tim Howard's comments struck a nerve with me and I decided to share my rant on Senor Luiz. It was certainly not premeditated... I can blame it on Timmie. ;)

15. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    Tim Howard is a moron. End of.

Arteta showed me some things tactically, but unless Edu gets it right I don't know what to think.

16. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Silva 5 repped this.
  17. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You’ve got a lot of pet peeves, @NorthBank.

18. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    He is the perfect sports fan for the media. He never questions anything. All of his sports viewing rules came from before 1980 and he has not moved from it.

Imagine writing all of those posts with all of those words over a conversation he has no idea about.

He does it every week.

19. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member+

Mar 10, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not so sure what you're on about. He's just as valid as you're absent analysis.

20. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member+

Mar 10, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was not a good moment, but despite that he's been good. Are you watching the games or just watching the highlights?

21. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could be. You wanna list them? Then I’ll tell you if you’ve got it right. ;)

22. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    Auba is finished.

This is incredible. We don't spend money to reward the likes of RVP etc in their hayday. Then we all of a sudden start with Özil and then Auba only for them to become not reward back the club in performance for one reason or the other.

23. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    It's because we are desperate

24. footykid

footykid Member+

Jan 10, 2005
    Mississauga, Ont
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    The club's top priority has to be ensuring Xhaka never plays against a top 10 side in an Arsenal kit ever again.

25. super gooner

super gooner Member

Arsenal
    England
    Sep 20, 2020
    I think I was the only one against giving Aubu such a lucrative contract at his age, had we not learned from the Ozil situation?