Arsenal vs. Everton [R] Carling Cup Pre/Post Match

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Catfish, Nov 7, 2004.

1. jpatel1508

jpatel1508 New Member

Aug 29, 2003
    Thanks Dwinkler for the link. Much appreciated.

By the way, our reseves rock.

Lupoli, Quincy, Van Persie, and Senderos all should be in the first team.

2. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    From Dublin, born in 1986. He's a defensive midfielder, and has apparantly been doing well in the Arsenal reserves and youth teams (along with fellow Irishman Antony Stokes). He's been a regular for our U-19's in recent matches, and has captained the side. I don't know much more about him, I'm afraid. I know Stokes is very highly rated.
    A short article from today on the Irish at Arsenal can be found here:

http://www.eleven-a-side.com/acrossthewater/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=14543

3. arsenalgirl30016

Dec 10, 2003
    Flo Rida
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for thePBP guys! Sounds like the young'uns did us proud today. Did Everton play a full first team squad? Sad if they did......

Lupoli sounds like he could be our "fox in the box" to quote from another thread.

4. footballer10

footballer10 New Member

May 14, 2001
    Flower Mound, TX
    Thanks!

5. ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee Member

Jul 27, 2004
    New York
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    What a great start to the week! :) Hopefully it can only put pressure on the first team to improve their performances knowing our second stringers can beat the first team squad of a team currently in the running for a CL qualification spot.

6. Its only Ray Parlour

Aug 3, 2003
    London
    On current form, i'd rather our reserves faced Spurs' this weekend. :eek:

7. AjaxGunner

AjaxGunner New Member

Mar 18, 2004
    My thanks as well. Looks like it was basically their first choice team except for Wright.

Go Young Arsenal!

8. Jasonisimo

Jasonisimo New Member

Jun 3, 2003
    Boston
    If Everton do wind up in Europe next year through their high Prem finish, they will look back and say Arsenal have done them a favor tonight.

9. gooner_913

gooner_913 New Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Atlanta, Georgia
    If The Kids Manage To Win The Carling Cup Can We Petition Uefa To Allow Them Into The Uefa Cup-get Them Used To European Football Before They Make The First Team ;)

10. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe

I tell you what, on tonights performance, we have absolutly nothing to worry about!! They kids were supurb out there tonight. I sat in the West Upper for the first time and thought Id be bored. Not a chance. Obviously the injuries to Edu and Smith are a worry, but Quincy was exceptional tonight. His pace and controll destroyed the Everton defense time and again. Van Persie was very controlled and unlucky not to score. Lupoli again was good. But the two players who I thought were "men of the match" were Karbassiyoon and Flamini. Daniel played at left back and cut out the attacks like he was Cole!! His forward play wasn't anything to write about, but his defensive work and positioning were spot on. Flamini was so composed in the middle and I'm not sure if Vieira could of done better!! He was fantastic. His defensive work was similar to Gilberto's and his passing was very composed.

One thing I must say though. Many people have been saying give Senderos a go at centre-back instead of Cygan. No. He wasn't composed and on two occasions if Everton had been a better team, would of been at fault for a goal. He was lucky to get away with it. Simple errors, but important in the Premiership. Personally I think our other centre-back Johan Djourou was better, he was very strong and I saw a bit of Campbell in him. I guarrentee that this guy will make it bar injury!! He is a star for the future.

11. surfcam

surfcam Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rick, thanks for the post-game analysis. Good to have from a fan in the stands!

12. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe

Not a problem. I must say it was the most enjoyable match Ive been to for a good couple of weeks!!!

13. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    sounds like a big crowd for a Carling Cup game. 27,000 plus was listed at the BBC website. where tickets cheaper? good atmosphere for the game?

14. surfcam

surfcam Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope to come over soon and catch a match myself. Looking to come in early April for the Norwich match April 2nd. Figure it would be easier to get tickets to this one rather than the others.

15. sienna

sienna Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Malaysia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Edu Broke Foot

Not good news. We are down to Vieira, Cesc and Flamini.

16. TheImposter

TheImposter Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Centerville, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, that's great news for us Yanks on Danny the K. Thanks for the observations, Rick. Sounds like he may someday have a chance to make it somewhere, if he keeps that up. He could be awfully damn good, though, and still be Arsenal's 3rd choice at LB.

17. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not the end of the world. We can play something like a 4-1-3-2 with one of those guys holding the fort in front of the defense while Henry, RVP/DB, Reyes, Pires, and Ljung attack. We've had that towards the end of games a few times anyway. Substitute another one of those CM for one of the attackers if all three are in the matchday squad (for sub coverage) and we'll be ok. Now if we lose another one...

18. Jeff L

Jeff L Member

May 12, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Totally agree. A good night. I sat in the Upper North Bank. Just under 28,000. Good atmosphere. A good performance, particularly going down 1 - 0 so early on. The future does look good. Quincy was my MotM.
    Arsene must have been "over the moon". Bring on "Whoever next"!!
    Cheaper tickets for tonight as well. Can't be bad!

19. dwinkler

dwinkler New Member

Aug 11, 2000
    Denver, CO
    Just caught the highlights on Sky Sports News and that 2nd goal was freaking AWESOME! Quincy picked the ball up at the halfway line and rode THREE challenges all the way into the box where he dished it off to the guy who passed it to Lupoli for the goal. He looks like a waterbug out there, but he also looks pretty strong.

20. naggi

naggi Member

Feb 15, 2002
    san francisco
    Did you see the Everton defender who was beaten by Quincy try to stick a leg up to trip him? He just jumped over the leg and layed the pass off to RvP. Brilliant.

21. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe

Let me know in plenty of time and Im sure I can help.

Tickets were cheaper - I paid £25 each for front row of the West Upper in the block next to the centre. Very good view. Not much atmousphere there though!!!! But the noise was great for the amount of fans out there.

22. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well, I was glad to be proved wrong by the kids as I thought Everton would be too strong for them. I couldn't make it to the game, but I've seent he goals on TV and it looked like they were playing just like the first team (only better at the moment). Good pass and move stuff to open the Everton defence up which made the finishes fairly straightforward. Great to see!

23. Detlef

Detlef Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

yeah I saw those highlights...Quincy was a man possessed on that possession..very strong with the ball :)

24. Dave_M

Dave_M New Member

May 25, 2004
    Enfield
    Absolutly. I was expecting it to be a drubbing, especially after they went ahead. I looked at the team and saw the raw talent, but the first touch just wasnt there, with players falling over themselves, and the ball, left right and centre.

But they were exciting to watch. I saw the flare, the desire to win, and the team work that was eveident in the 2002 first team. Really enjoyed it. Last game at highbury that was that exciting was against Boro at the start of the season.

The keeper made some nice saves too. But he was also lucky. We could have easily conceded quite a few more than we did. Worth watching him thought.

Any chance wenger could send the boys out against spuds next Saturday. I think they may fare better!