Arsenal vs. Everton [R] Carling Cup Pre/Post Match

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Catfish, Nov 7, 2004.

1. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    We all know this Carling Cup nonsense really isn't important, BUT I still want to win this match. This is great opportunity to work the stiff joints out of our bench players, ESPECIALLY a GK. Jens is really scaring the poop out of me and we need to be solid concerning our GK.

Everton will probably play their best side and win 2-1.

2. Dave_M

Dave_M New Member

May 25, 2004
    Enfield
    Probably. Im going to the game. I just hope to be entertained. Dont much care about the result. Like you say Carling Cup nonsense...

3. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe

Hmmm,

I personally think these games are really important as they give a great chance to the youngsters to give an account of themselves against premiership opposition. Without these games I doubt Cesc etc would of come on so quickly. Anyway, I will be in the West Upper for the first (and probably last !!) time so will see a much different view than Im used to!!

I think our kids will win. 2-1 is my prediction.

4. martymarts

martymarts Member

Mar 11, 2003
    NYC
    Totally agree Rick. I took in the game the night before I returned to NYC and after the disappointment of the last couple of EPL matches this was a breath of fresh air. It was good to get a look at what's in the pipeline and to see players I've never even heard of stepping up to the plate in a competitive match. All played well, except Justin Hoyte, who looked like he was in a slow motion sequence out of the Matrix; "just" all over the place!

Larsson at left back got stronger and stronger as the game went on. It took him a while to get into his stride and he could never be given that luxury in the EPL. It must have been a huge experience for him? We're soooo deep in this position!

Pennant was a bit of a concern to me. Played better in the second half. His first touch was frequently poor and more than a couple of times he got tangled up in his own feet! Also has a tendancy to hold the ball too long. You might say that a bit of glory hunting in The Carling Cup is okay, but, I think he's at point where he need to show how effectively he can work for the team. That's more likely to get him 1st team football than a one off solo effort? I don't think the game, or his goal, hurt RVP either. He looked much more composed coming on against So'ton and again yesterday. Might even be worth sticking Reyes in against the Toffees, to help him find his composure again?

So IMHO let's keep the Carling run going.

Come on you Young Guns!!!

5. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    well dave... i care about the result in that the experience gained by the youngsters does them a world of good. the youth team has good chemistry and seem to have that "arsenal team spirit".
    such a pity they dont have lehmann in net to keep them steady all night!!
    maybe that would be the secret to their success..... right rick? :D

6. Henrik

Henrik New Member

Aug 24, 2004
    I have been in West Stand Upper once vs West ham over 10 years ago. I remember we won and the view was fantastic.

I also think this match is important for the kids in order for them to mature and experience the class of premiership football opposition. Everton played very well against Chelsea on saturday so it wont be easy, in fact this is the best Everton side I have seen in more than 10 years.

7. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe

Completly agree.

8. TxTechGooner

Feb 24, 2003
    see, now thats just unfair my friend....
    he doesnt keep anyone steady at the back...
    its more obvious the longer he retains the #1~
    i suppose it is too late to try and manage a ticket for the sperz match...
    is it?

9. Dave_M

Dave_M New Member

May 25, 2004
    Enfield
    For sure, what I meant when I said I dont care about the result was that I wont be like a cat on hot coals panicking and stressing and whatnot...its not the end of the world if we dont win, though the longer were in it the more
    experience the boys get...

I sat in the west lower for the first time against villa. It was wierd having only ever seen Arsenal from the north bank. But it was right on the halfway line so i felt like i was at a tennis match lol.

Im gonna be in the North Upper (West Wing Block) so Ill be able to seeeee yoouuuuuu. Maybe heh. Wanted my uncles season ticket seat cos hes not going but some other monkey had already booked it...so im one row back and a few seats over. Hoping its the same sight line. I like it up there, even if it is a bit quiet :)

10. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe

I know, but hey - I can get away with it!!! :D

Why didn't you ask earlier!!! There were loads available!! I only ordered the 8 I needed. I will have an ask around and see what I can do. Spurs away is never a problem if I get asked early enough. I'll let you know after Everton.

11. TxTechGooner

Feb 24, 2003
    ta mate~

I will be back in the UK on tuesday.. its so last minute as i will understand...
    at this point, id love to see the CC match... its a long season, plenty of games to attend~
    cheers

12. fedwood

fedwood Member

Sep 13, 2004
    I dont think the kids are capable of taking Everton on the form they on atm
    Most teams except the Man U, Ars, Liverpool, Chelsea play their full first team in Carling Cup and maybe a few youngsters so Everton's first team should not have to much of a problem. Though i remeber last season Kids Vs Wolves 5-1

13. Dave_M

Dave_M New Member

May 25, 2004
    Enfield
    Plus I seem to recall Man City puting in a damned fine showing against our first team squad not so long ago. Kids beat them 2-1 so who knows...

14. ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee Member

Jul 27, 2004
    New York
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Actually the way our first squad has been playing I bet the kids stand a better chance of winning 2-1 :eek: In any event, seriously this competition is important, if only to give Arsene more than one look at the bench players. Arsenal will see more injuries during the season, and the youngsters need to stay alert with some match experience.

Everton will probably throw a strong squad forward, but I'm not sure all their top guns will be playing... Everton will want to focus staying in the European qualification spot. Their first squad also played a hell of a game against Chelsea and are bound to be tired.

I see this 1-1 after regulation, with Arsenal squeaking by on penalties. Hopefully the youngsters can give the first team a boost before we destroy Spurs

15. W26 D12 L0

W26 D12 L0 New Member

Oct 1, 2004
    Miami
    I think we will win this game. We will start out slow like last time but will end up outplaying Everton. Hopefully Everton will play a couple of fringe players.

I can't wait to see more of Ryan Smith - this kid is going places.

16. sarabella

sarabella BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 22, 2004
    UK
    You seem to forget... Our best side is our ONLY side. :p

17. bigp

bigp New Member

Mar 8, 2004
    TDOT
    Squad for the Carling Cup

24 Manuel ALMUNIA (GK)
    13 Stuart TAYLOR (GK)
    11 Robin VAN PERSIE
    16 Mathieu FLAMINI
    17 EDU
    20 Philippe SENDEROS
    21 Jermaine PENNANT
    31 Justin HOYTE
    34 Patrick CREGG
    35 Johan DJOUROU
    36 Jordan FOWLER
    39 Sebastian LARSSON
    40 Arturo LUPOLI
    42 Quincy OWUSU-ABEYIE
    46 Danny KARBASSIYOON
    47 Ryan SMITH

Can someone tell me what on earth happened to Ryan Garry and Olafur Skulason? Both were highly rated but they haven't even played in the reserves this season. I know that Garry had a long term injury but he was fit by the end of the season. Maybe Rick can answer this question.

18. surfcam

surfcam Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This will be a great match for the "kids" to play in. I wish they got more first team time. There will probably be a little rust and nerves in the first half, but they will take it to Everton in the second. 2-1 Arsenal.

19. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It looks like Olafur Skulason is on loan"

http://www.uefa.com/news/newsId=209503,printer.htmx

20. footballer10

footballer10 New Member

May 14, 2001
    Flower Mound, TX
    I wonder who will take Cygan's place since Simek is on loan.

21. Dave_M

Dave_M New Member

May 25, 2004
    Enfield
    Just looking at one of the bookies and am realy tempted to take on:

Everton to beat Arsenal
    Newcastle to beat Chelsea
    Palace to beat Man U :eek:

£20 treble pays £1160

LOL!

22. bigp

bigp New Member

Mar 8, 2004
    TDOT
    I don't think he ended up going to Beveren. I know a bunch of Italian teams wanted him on loan but I don't think he left for those teams either.

It's wierd how they just dissappeared even though they're still listed in the official website. More so with Garry since he made a first team debut 2 years ago but hasn't even played a reserve game this season. Even with the Carling Cup run he still can't make it to the reserves which are made up of the u17 players when the reserves play in the Carling Cup.

23. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe
    Ryan Garry had a severe injury with shin splints last year. he only made one appearance. This year it has still been troubling him and he hasn't yet returned to full fitness. He will, and he is a promising player for the future i he recovers.
    Skulason is not on loan. He has played three times for the Reserves this year. He has been converted to a central midfielder and we have a few of those, so his playing time has been limited. He is 21, so if he is going to make it, I think it has to be this year. Otherwise he will be leaving in the summer. When I have seen him, I personally don't think he will make it.

24. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    so, anyone want to do some PBP on here so I have something to do at work? I mean who does work at work.

and the youngsters will get it done.

2-1 to the Arsenal.

25. Gunners11

Gunners11 Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Is there an audio link for this match like the last one?