Arsenal vs Crystal Palace Eagles (EPL) 14Jan2021

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by And_ROOS, Jan 9, 2021.

1. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    On the bright side Arsenal didn't find a way to lose the match.

Really need our summer singings to get back to full health.

daedalus repped this.
  2. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Credit to Eddie - he had 7 touches and drew 3 fouls.

That's a lot more involvement than you usually see from a late attacking sub.

Super Llama and maskito repped this.
  3. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    There were 8 times that second half where he clearly had someone free ahead of him when he was just inside halfway and instead of playing the quick, easy ball he went sideways or backwards.

Not to mention his two token attempts at long range goals that were never a chance and just turned the ball over.

4. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    Seems Mari was injured. Shame because Luiz had a few very iffy moments today. Doesn't look safe at all.

5. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    i find xhaka's season to be interesting. his main (?) strength is his passing and ability to find attackers in advanced position. and there are times when he still does it like when he released tierney for that penalty.

but i have heard on various podcasts of multiple of instances - not just this game as you described - where there are breaking runners that he hesitates on and, once the window is closed, he needed to recycle the ball.

6. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    i think that is one of the problems with a willian/bellerin partnership (in general) on the right because both are conservative and possession-oriented and you need ONE of the two to be adventurous.

7. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just watched it, mostly the 2nd half. Overall a rather poor performance by us.

Too slow and plodding, Our combination passing was just not on. And Palace clogged up their final third very effectively.

I thought Dani and Ainsley were our least effective players and I suppose Arteta agreed, since they were our first 2 subs after the hour.

We were very lucky they didn't score. Luck plus continued solid saves by Leno.

We should be happy with 1 point. Sigh.

Deep Wilcox repped this.
  8. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    obviously, a win would have been preferred but, heck, there is a part of me that is just happy we didn't find a way to lose.

not trying to argue their quality but we have, in the past, struggled with a center forward like benteke. and zaha + david luiz just screams penalty to me. so . . yeah, it sucks to drop points against palace but we were missing some people, did not drop the full 3, and still get to ride @And_ROOS' thread streak. next!

9. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member+

Mar 10, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Xhaka MOTM

Ceballos was good, but Xhaka was too good to make way for Partey.

We missed Tierney dearly.

Leno is in top form.

Overall it was a ho hum performance, but credit needs to be given to Palace for remaining rigid and resolute in their shape.

Unimpressed with Zaha.

daedalus repped this.
  10. super gooner

super gooner Member

Arsenal
    England
    Sep 20, 2020
    I'm sure I heard Arteta saying that the players were tired because of extra time against Newcastle. No, not the tired excuses, that game was on Saturday, manage your players, they're supposed to be professional footballers and fit, they don't do anything else. Poor, poor excuse.

11. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Remember that time we spent huge money on Partey ...

12. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium

Deep Wilcox repped this.
  13. super gooner

super gooner Member

Arsenal
    England
    Sep 20, 2020
    That doesn't surprise me. We really missed him which is very worrying to miss a left back so much when we are supposed to have big guns up front and internationals in the middle.

14. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Dumpster fire

Super Llama repped this.
  15. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First minutes in over a month --- you're harsh.

16. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I meant more that we've had so little value from our big investment - just like last season with Pepe. It's not his fault - but maybe we should be placing more tierney sized bets on younger guys

17. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That, I agree with. Pepe needs a solid run of matches to see what we have. But more and more my optimism as to whether he's a good fit for us is waning. Incredibly talented, but probably better-suited to a pure counter-attacking team than one that's going to face a lot of 10-behind-the-ball defenses.

18. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Pepe doesn’t fit at all. Think he’s an epic bust at this point.

19. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    The balance of the squad is all messed up

Loads of old guys on huge contracts. Some talented young guys

Very little in the middle.

20. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    Seems bad to have so many players (Tierney, Leno, ESR, Saka) that are irreplaceable and whose absence causes the team to fall apart.

I don't know what Arteta is doing with AMN. He could have sold him for 20m in the summer, instead he seems to be trying to sabotage his value by playing him once every 3 weeks out of position at LB.

It's very Xhaka-esque that some say he was MOTM while others say he was sh*t, I guess I fall into the latter. Between AMN being rusty and bad on crosses with his left foot, Auba not being part of the build-up play at all, and Xhaka being slow on the ball and bombing passes to no one, often starting Palace's counters, the attack from the left was pretty anemic when it used to be a real strength.

21. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member+

Mar 10, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he's dangerous in space. I don't think he has it in him to unlock a deep defense other than the occasional screamer shot.

He'd probably be great on crystal palace.

22. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    When is Martinelli back?

23. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    #148 casoccerdad47, Jan 15, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
    Interesting because he led the team in both key passes with 40 and assists with 6 last season. So we know he can provide chances for teammates, the question is why it isn’t happening this season. He’s getting fewer minutes, but his confidence may also be shot.

maskito repped this.
  24. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    How many of those were from set pieces? I feel like he took a ton of those last season, but hasn't as often this season.

25. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It could also be the confirmation bias of fans in general, and people on this board specifically.

For me, I don't really have an axe to grind about Xhaka but I'd like an upgrade on him. I thought he played a well above average match for him. But I've come up with a theory about him (or maybe I subconsciously stole it from someone else)...

I wonder if he's really stats-oriented, and obsessed with his passing completion stats. Maybe that (partly) explains why he's so prone to pass it backwards and sideways, rather than the more "risky" forward passes.

If so, that's a huge shame, because that thruball he played to Tierney for the goal against Newcastle(?) was one of the best passes of the season in my book.