Arsenal vs. Chelski Thoughts/Predictions.

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Catfish, Oct 13, 2003.

1. Its only Ray Parlour

Aug 3, 2003
    London
    Won't risk what exactly? Winning?! You've obviously never seen us play at home against Man U then. Chelsea are no different from any other "top"-side, and they all get the same treatment.
    When you come to Highbury, you should expect a high-pressure game and to be on the back-foot for long periods of the game.

Arsenal very rarely if ever go into a game thinking about not losing, especially at home. Circumstances within the match itself might dictate this is the way we have to play to get a result but that is never our approach to a game from the out-set, and quite simply the balance of our team means that attack is the best form of defence.

Capish?

2. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Re: Re: Alas.....

Perhaps, perhaps not.I would offer that it will depend on winning something, be it the title or a cup of worth.Perhaps a good run in the Champs league.Most of the fans will no doubt be from the US anyway and thus will be "new".

There is already an avalanche back home though eh?
    I see that there are crowds of 41,000 + on a regular basis now-a-days.
    I remember standing in the midst of a mighty 6,000 one night against Cardiff.

Anyways-games on a bit and it's back to the telly.
    Should be an interesting game and even if we do lose it wont be the end of the world as no title will be given out at the end of this month-same goes if we win.

I just hope it's not a jammy win from a poxy penalty or something like that for your lot.

"sunshine"....LOL

3. Its only Ray Parlour

Aug 3, 2003
    London
    Re: Re: Re: Alas.....

Not really....For your FIRST CL home game in 4 years (and in only your SECOND champions league campaign ever) against Besiktas you only managed to get 31,000 punters through the gates...oh how i laughed!

Chelsea will never be the biggest club in London. It will take around 15 years of sustained success to reach that level and massive decline from both Arsenal and Spurs to take the mantel. In terms of support they are a distant 3rd behind Arsenal and Spurs.

Whether they can be London's best club is a different question and success and only success, will back-up any such assumptions.

Recent years aside Chelsea greatest historical rivals have always been QPR and Fulham, while Arsenal and Spurs have been battling it out for top-spot.

You might have the media glare on you now but its taken a russian billionaire for you to realistically present a challenge to Arsenal's supremacy.

4. de_valera

de_valera New Member

Sep 30, 2003
    China
    congrats

well done to all the lads who said we would win 2-1.

What a win ....

YESSSSSSSSSS

5. juice013

juice013 New Member

Mar 28, 2003
    Toronto
    Good analysis. lol

6. starman1994

starman1994 New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    Malaysia
    2-1 to you lads..... handed on a silver plater I may add by Cudicini.

Anyways, good match..... no red cards so it's quite a decent result for Arse.

The next time we meet, I'll still say that we will win it 3-0.

Cheers!

7. jegerpenge

jegerpenge New Member

Jan 18, 2003
    Lake Charles, LA
    i don't really mind the chelsea fans posting on the board. at least they post intelligent and well-thought-out posts. unlike the mancs who just flood us with "you guys are shite, you were lucky, etc." and the chelsea fans know how to lose with class as well. just look forward to the rematch. cheers

8. Azabache

Azabache Member

Nov 22, 1998
    Essex Co.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Premature reports of the death of Wengerball have been duly squashed. Beautiful match today. I'm still keeping count and out of this potentially horrific 4 match run (ManU, Newcastle, L'pool and Chelski) Arsenal has collected 10 points. And today was the best performance, even without Freddy or Paddy. This is good. Now if only Kanu can play a bit more like he did today...

9. CDNGooner

CDNGooner New Member

I second those thoughts jegerpenge. I think it probably has to do with the common goal of disposing Man U from the top. The rematch at the Bridge should be good. Hopefully by that time, Arsenal will be way ahead of the pack!

Sheesh, we even had one Manc troll who had this fantastic quote:

Must have taken him weeks to think of this one.

Anyhow, the race is long . . . keep it up lads!

10. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Alas.....

Well, i wouldn't disagree with most of what you said-simply because it's true to a certain degree :p
    However if you talk to the older crowd you will find that CFC always had a massive support in town.I'm talking from the 40's to the mid 70's here mind you.
    My first game against the sperz at Stamford Bridge was in 1970, there were over 60,000 packed into Stamford Bridge for that game.CFC regularly drew on a comparison to the other London clubs during that era.Big club, great support, recognised as having one of, if not the best, youth set ups during the late 50's to mid 60's, yet winning nothing-thus the everlasting "underachiever" tag.

During the generation from the mid 70's to mid 90's CFC were, with the very, very odd year exception-a dire lot.This is the image that most people have of Chelsea as it is the most recent one.Now, i've already admited that what you've pointed out is somewhat true, it's not totally the whole picture.

It all went balls up with the disaster that was the East stand and all the financial problems that followed.I remember being at Bolton for the last away game of the '83 season.That was the low point of the club.
    This week they will play in the Champs league--nice turn around.(unfortunately i am on this side of the "pond" these days though)

Anyways--the rematch should be good un.

Cheers.

11. CDNGooner

CDNGooner New Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Alas.....

Interesting stuff Clanblue. I think some of us who are off on the Arsenal America Roadtrip will try to catch a game at the Bridge.

12. Brodo

Brodo New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Deep in Spurs territ
    Re: Alas.....

Not quite right because it doesn't scan. It should be:

Bertie Mee said to BILL Shankly
    Have you heard of the North Bank, Highbury
    And THE SHANKS said yes - they're the greatest and the best
    and they all support the Arsenal

I remember Bertie Mee being Arsenal manager in 1976 - wasn't that the year you finished 12th in the Second Division?

13. OPArsenal

OPArsenal New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ray?!?!?!??!? Didn't you see my spelling correction? Come on, now... :D It seems like the phish and I (and probably others) called it correct. A good game from both sides, AND my boss has to wear a full Arsenal kit every day this week, with AFC tattoos on both cheeks. Absolutely marvelous.

14. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Alas.....

I seem to remember in the book "Fever Pitch" that Nick Hornby's father was a CFC supporter, even though he had taken young Nick to an Arsenal match first, and that's where his affinity for the Gunners came from.

Something about his father, being newly divorced, preferred to hang out with the "more fashionable and younger" Chelsea crowd. This would have been late - 60's, so I guess CFC was the "hip" club back in the day, but it's good supporters have stuck by them.

We get stick all the time because it's "fashionable" to support Arsenal, apparently. Not that that means anything to 99% of the guys on this board.

15. OPArsenal

OPArsenal New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Alas.....

Well put. You seem to have an ability to end all smack talk... :D