Arsenal vs. Chelski Thoughts/Predictions.

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Catfish, Oct 13, 2003.

1. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I know I'm being a total downer, but I'm terrified of this match. I just have a feeling that we could get crushed. To me, this match is HUGE for both clubs. Cheski hasn't beat any title contenders yet. Arsenal got the 0-0 draw with Merchandise Utd..I was THRILLED. If we can draw or win, I will be so shocked. Plus, the rest of the league will still greatly fear our skimpy bench/injuried filled/aging side. Still think we are VASTLY overachieving this season, but I'm loving every minute of it.

Come on Gunners, you have to dig really deep for this one. Cheski is sick of being 2nd fiddle in London and they want to embarass us on our own pitch.

Ordering the Tums/MOM/Pepto Bysmol NOW for Saturday.

2. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    well catfish... being that you are a true chelsea fan (and manyoo for that matter) im sure you are hoping for an arsenal loss.... all your ramblings about supporting arsenal are bollocks as i have seen your lame posts on the chelsea boards... i for one totally ignore your pro-arsenal posts.. freakin front runner pratt~~~

3. Martin Daoust

Martin Daoust New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Hartford, CT
    I think the major worry is if Vieira will be available for Saturday-otherwise I actually feel we have a fair edge here in that we have dominated Chelsea in recent years especially at Highbury and our squad's team chemistry will be more than enough to offset their moments of occasional brilliance-keep in mind their one quality win at Anfield came with a side closest in look to last year's team. I think in matches like this steadiness is key and the steadiest squads are those which have played together longest. I think it will be tight and goals will be scored...3-2 or maybe 3-1 or 4-2 to Arsenal if Vieira plays...

4. TxTechGooner

Feb 24, 2003
    now my memory is usually blurred.. but isn't this the match that paddy misses due to suspension?

how's this for wacky.... start dennis and kanu upfront and bring TITI on at the half or maybe the last 30 min when the chelsea defense is knackered.... okay, im thinkin outside the box a bit...

5. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    I really can't see how you can think Arsenal is vastly overachieving when they have players like Henry, Viera, Pires, Cambell, Gilberto and the like. Sure, we could always use some more, personally, I worry most about extra help in back. But, our midfield is loaded with top quality players and we have one of the best strikers in the world.

Winning the league and going far in Europe should be expected of such a squad, not be considered overachieving. If anything I think Arsenal have been playing below expectations in many games this year, something I'm sure will change as the year goes on.

Chelsea should be a good game. Neither team is going to blow out the other. Chelsea is looking very good lately, but they are certainly not unbeatable. If we have a full squad to choose from, especially Viera, I feel confident. And, I agree there will be goals both ways.

6. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Sorry..Nobody!

Gilberto is not performing better than Edu. Edu has really stepped up this season and proved to me that he deserves to start, for now.

I still think Super Bob is 75% of what he was before his injury. He still is quite good, smart player, and great passer, BUT alot SSSSSSLLLLLLOOOOOWWWWEEEEERRRR....lol

And yes, for the love of all things HOLY we desperately need Vieria. Man, I miss his great toughness, passing, and leadership.

7. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    Thing is...you just pulled up another name of a high quality player we've got. Heck, a guy like Kanu, you know the key to a very strong Nigeria team, is merely a part-time role player on Arsenal. That's much more a tribute to the quality of the squad than a slam of Kanu. No need at all to cower in fear of any other team.

And, the Pires thing just points out what I said earlier. Arsenal are not now overachieving. If anything, the team still hasn't hit its stride and is underachieving.

8. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    So what is chelski doing? They aren't exactly lighting the world on fire.

9. TxTechGooner

Feb 24, 2003
    IMHO.... i think chelsea are learning to play with one another yet still at the top of the table.. at the end of the day, its seems that the people who cause the most damage are the ol'reliables.... Lampard, Eidur G, JFH, Terry, ect.... I'm not gunna come on here and say that having a Mutu or Cole or Crespo will hurt you.. i just dont think they have the football fighting spirit (team unity)to win the EPL~~

bloody frightening squad on paper tho...

10. Martin Daoust

Martin Daoust New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Hartford, CT
    Jeez, I KEEP doing that-I need a doctor or somethin' ...yikes...Oh well, 3-2 to Arsenal then. Similar to last year we'll go up 2-0 or 3-0 and Chelsea will get some of that individual brilliance but our solidarity as a team will leave them too big a hill to climb. 23 points from nine matches and 10 from ManUre, Newcastle, Liverpool and Chelsea was my goal before the season-although I thought we would be on 15 through the first five...but win Saturday and we're at that 23 points. Great position to be in-Whether Vieira is there or not. Okay......

11. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    I think you are quite right here mate.
    It's hard to say what shape the play from chelsea will be in.It's going to be the same old from the Arse though, strong in attack, suspect in the back.
    With all the class players that have come to Stamford bridge this summer that can turn a match in a second, i don't think you can hold us scoreless for an entire 90.
    I also think that with the talent in your side, coupled with being at home and used to that particular pitch, it will be nigh on impossible to stop you lot from scoring.

So, it will come down to who scores more <-------------------brill KK logic here lmao looking at it

Anyways, the point being, i think our defence is better than yours and we will stop more than you stop and thus come away with all three.

12. juice013

juice013 New Member

Mar 28, 2003
    Toronto
    You just showed how little knowlege you have of the side. This side wasn't very far away from winning the Double again last year, but you probably didn't know that because you probably weren't a fan then.

I have the utmost confidence that the boys will come out focused and agressive when attacking. Unfortunately, Wiltord will probably be in there, so it looks like we'll be depending on Henry and Pires to do the scoring. I think it'll be a close one, but right now Chelski are just a collection of highly rated players and not a cohesive team. That may be good enough to beat Wolves and Sp*rs, but not the Arsenal, especially at Highbury. Gunners by a goal.

13. OPArsenal

OPArsenal New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yikes. I personally have nothing against Patrick, but man, that was harsh. Even worse than what I said to the 101er. Ouch.

Agreed, but I'm in favor of anything involving God and Kanu together. :D Let's see Pires get another beauty of a goal and put the Gunners at 23 points. My prediction is 2-1 to the Arsenal, but I do think, once agin like the phish, that Chelski do have a terrifying squad on paper, but if paper won football matches, then all accountants would have a Double to their names. On a related note, my boss is a huge Chelski fan and we'll be watching the match, so I'm looking to be able to rub it in his face when our boys take the 3. :D

14. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Re: Re: Arsenal vs. Chelski Thoughts/Predictions.

15. de_valera

de_valera New Member

Sep 30, 2003
    China
    Re: Re: Arsenal vs. Chelski Thoughts/Predictions.

I think it'll be a close one, but right now Chelski are just a collection of highly rated players and not a cohesive team. That may be good enough to beat Wolves and Sp*rs, but not the Arsenal, especially at Highbury. Gunners by a goal. [/B][/QUOTE]

Juice I second that analysis.

16. starman1994

starman1994 New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    Malaysia
    If the match starts and ends with eleven against eleven (barring any refereeing f***ups), the most likely scenario would be 0-0 (you lads sure convinced me with your performances against ManU the other day!).

I know for sure that Wenger would not go all out for a win..... you lads have to much to lose and too little quality left in reserves.

CR however might choose to do one of his quirky little squad fiddling and hand you lads the points but I hope he would've learned his lessons otherwise especially after the Besiktas episode.

Tough to call but personally, I see Mutu scoring a brace (if he starts) with Lauren scoring an own goal. 3-0 to the Blues.

17. Brodo

Brodo New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Deep in Spurs territ
    The mood amongst supporters that I've spoken to is really upbeat about this one. Chelsea haven't won the league since 1955, all of a sudden they get a windfall and start behaving like they are a big club.

I can't wait to stuff them and sing "what a waste of money" to their overpaid, overhyped, overhere bunch of inflated egos masquerading as a 'team'!

Damn it that this match clashes with the England v South Africa match in the Rugby World Cup.

18. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I reckon we'll pull this one off, even without Vieira we've played well in our last couple of games.

Starman1994, if you don't think Wenger will go for the win you haven't been watching the teams he's put out over the last few years. Our better defensive performances of late have been forced on him by having Ljungberg injured so Parlour has to play. Otherwise it would be all out attack as usual. For God's sake, our full backs are on wing back who's better going forward than back (Cole) and another who's really a midfielder (Lauren).

Chelsea will obviously have a settling in period with all their new signings. While this is happening they will have the odd day where everything clicks and they thump someone, I just can't see our boys letting them go into overdrive on Saturday. With our defence settling down now I think 2-0 to the Arsenal.

19. SLO-Gunner

SLO-Gunner New Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Baltimore
    I think starman's mind is in the bermuda triangle. Arsenal is a team which doesn't go for a win? Other than the game against the Mancs, I don't recall another match off the top of my head when we wanted a tie from the very start in league. And the 3-0 prediction is boasting with too much bravado when you consider....1955.

20. SLO-Gunner

SLO-Gunner New Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Baltimore
    Should be a good one on Saturday, 2-1 to the arsenal.

21. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Any news on Ljungberg?

22. starman1994

starman1994 New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    Malaysia

Like I said, my predictions were based on the fact that you lads don't have much selections on the bench anymore as well as the way your team played against ManU (more intent on playing a draw and I did watch the full match).

1955 is the past, you need to look at the current results, we played shite sometimes and still got the three points, we would've lost the same matches a couple of seasons back.

I predicted a 6-0 win over Wolves and we came close (with a goal disallowed) to it so there is no longer a predictable Chelsea..... when everyone thinks that we'll draw or lose the match, we win and sometimes win big.

Think all you like lads and make comparisons with the past, for all I care are only match day results.

23. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    hhhhhhhmmmmm,.......

Great story, but uh are you trying to compare Wolves with Arsenal? :rolleyes:

24. dwinkler

dwinkler New Member

Aug 11, 2000
    Denver, CO
    I agree with Starman. I think the ManUre game was a tactical turning point for Wenger, and I think it's a necessary step. Sure, Parlour started for Ljungberg, but in the past it would have been Wiltord on the wing.

I really think last season's defensive lapses left a terrible taste in Wenger's mouth, and he's much more likely this season to forsake beautiful soccer for results.

25. starman1994

starman1994 New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    Malaysia
    Results does matter ArsenalTexan3, Wenger has learned that the hard way, you should realise that too by now.

I must admit that we are on the same boat here lads, trying very hard to depose ManU from the perch. Therefore every single point is important.

Ranieri is more than happy with the results, so were some of us fans too. We didn't lose, got the point and now we are on top, for now that is.

Consistency is the key to winning the league.