Arsenal vs Brighton (EPL) 9 April 2022

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by NorthBank, Apr 7, 2022.

1. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    afc-bhafc.jpg

Saturday 9 April 2022
    Ashburton Grove
    USA “TV”: Peacock 10am ET

Seems a good time to bring out that well-worn cliché: “When the going gets tough, the tough get going!”

Or is it “goes shopping”? Or “starts the next MD thread”? Turns out I did the thread for this fixture last year... which was our final match... we won 2-0 where some guy named Pepe scored both goals... and my thread run lasted a whole 3 months... until we went to Brentford! ;)

Needless to say this match, not to mention the next 6 weeks, is gonna be where Arteta earns his pay. Hopefully him winning March’s Manager of the Month award will juice him up. He needs all the help he can get.

For much of our march up the table this season we had a very predictable, steady, reliable and effective Starting XI. But a few days ago we lost 2 vital cogs in that XI (Tieney & Partey), on top of already missing a 3rd for several months (Tomiyasu), and the possible “loss” (in confidence) of another... Tavares.

How Mikel solves the personnel puzzle could be fascinating: Keep Nuno in there for psych reasons? Call up Lokonga/Elneny? Creative repositioning of Xhaka/Cedric/White/Odegaard/ESR/Martinelli? I see no new team news so I assume Pepe’s still out due to recent “illness”... but who the heck knows!

A win would surely be just what the doctor ordered. A draw would be meh. But I’m NOT entertaining a loss! Nor any further injuries!!!

GunnerJacket repped this.
  2. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    Nuno seems to be taking a positive attitude.

3. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or his ghost-writing agent? :p

4. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    This lack of depth is what worries me. Esp when injuries occur.

Brighton are not easy. I'd take a draw but going for a 1-0 Arsenal.

5. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Try him as a winger

put Saka at left back and get Pepe or martinelli wide right

6. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    8 days ago I would not have looked at this match with such nervousness or treat it as a must win, yet here we are. Arsenal has the talent, but so they have the bodies and the heart? Hopefully the home crowd stirs the inspiration.

7. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’d say the majority opinion by pundits is to leave Nuno at LFB, supporting the player and giving him at least one more chance to demonstrate his worth, and also therefore minimizing the number of creative changes/repositions that the rest of the team hast to undergo. I’m on board with that, but still plenty nervous.

8. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I like the idea of Saka at LB with ESR in front of him, plus Pepe on the right, with Martinelli as super sub.

But if we're not going to play Tavares against Brighton at home, we've got a serious problem.

9. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Agreed. As much as I don't rate Tavares I typically favor keeping as many players as possible in their natural/best positions vs forcing too many square pegs into round holes. Maybe with a week of more clear instruction Nuno can do better at playing within himself, while the team as a whole adjusts accordingly.

10. wanye_stirrear

wanye_stirrear Member+

Sep 19, 2002
    Maryland
    The ganging up on Tavares is unnecessary. He had a bad game, but it’s being blown out of proportion. He isn’t the first player to play badly, and he won’t be the last. He’s young. It doesn’t mean every game will be like his last. He is more than capable of playing against Brighton.

11. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    Others have made this point, but as long as the striker remains a non-goal scoring threat, it's difficult to take your joint-top goal scorer in Saka and move him to LB. Pepe has shown an ability to score in the past, but he can also find himself isolated and uninvolved.

Assuming Sambi is playing for Partey and Tavares is in for Tierney, Xhaka will need to go back to playing deeper and supporting those two, rather than getting further forward as a left 8 as he has been.

12. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    He has played a combined 80 minutes in his last two starts and hasn't been injured in either game. He was the worst player on either team in the Forest match.

13. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This.

Especially the part about not taking Saka out of the forward line. And it sounds a lot like what I've been hearing on the pods. Maybe you've heard those too? ;)

Another way of saying what you just said, and a common assumption I've heard, is that although Lokonga will replace Partey nominally, he will likely inherit the Xhaka role, with Xhaka inheriting the Partey role.

14. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    I have, which is why I didn't want to take credit for it as an "original" thought :)

Not necessarily, Sambi would still be on the right and Xhaka on the left. Arteta's been playing something closer to a 4-3-3 recently with Xhaka playing on the edge of the opponents box, I think injuries will force him to revert back to more of a 4-2-3-1 with Xhaka and Sambi as a double-pivot. I don't like the idea of Xhaka sitting as a lone midfielder deep like Partey does, I fear that will leave him too exposed defensively.

15. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't speak to the validity but I've seen claims that Cedric is expected to play LB this match with White shifting to RB and Holding starting at RCB.

16. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I share that concern. In fact, I was going to add that to my earlier post. That if Xhaka moves further towards our own box, watch out! It would be nice to think his "handlers" could advise/induce him to avoid rash actions that lead to yellows or (shudder to think) straight red. But then we've been living with him long enough to know that Xhaka gonna do what Xhaka gonna do.

With how thin we are at certain key positions, including his long-term partner, this is one of the things that's got me nervous about tomorrow (and beyond)... our own little Taz Devil. Please, please, please prove me wrong Granit!

17. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Let’s not forget that when Tierney was out earlier in the season that Tavares had a run of 6 league starts in which he played the full 90 minutes and played well enough to keep Tierney on the bench during the last two or three of those games. He had a bad game against Liverpool, but nearly every Arsenal player had a bad game against Liverpool. In the other 5 games he had an average Got.Soccer ranking of over 7.0 and some, maybe even some on bigsoccer, were calling for him to be the starter ahead of Tierney. He’s young and he hasn’t had minutes for a while, he was going to be rusty going into the Palace game.

NorthBank repped this.
  18. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    No Nuno

cooper7d7 repped this.
  19. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow! Shows what all the pundits know. Sure hope this isn't another one of Arteta's iffy man-management moves.

Glass half full: We get to see ESR & Martinelli in the same starting XI.

20. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I wonder if Saka is at left back and smith Rowe at rw?

21. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    No Lamptey at RWB for Brighton, that makes the job of Xhaka at LB at lot easier.

22. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like we get our first female commentator today (or at least as far as I can remember). I'm guessing it's Jacqui Oatley, but that's just a guess... on the world feed they don't announce themselves, only their co-commentator, who is old-boy Matt Upson today.

Anyway...

COYG!!!!!

23. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Somehow I missed that Welbz is in their XI today. Please stay quiet today OK Danny Boy?

24. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    Xhaka is doing a good job of reminding me of how terrible it was last year when he plays LB.

ArsenalMetro repped this.
  25. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Lack of any kind of midfield is something else.

CarlosKaiser repped this.