Arsenal @ Villarreal, Champions League Semi-final 2nd Leg Pre/dur/Post Match

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by HomeatHighbury, Apr 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miles Brasher

Miles Brasher Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Coventry,England
    :eek: I'm kinda hoping that he's slimmed down a bit

:p

2. gunner0007

gunner0007 Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    Bahamas
    Lol, im sure Wenger put him on hhis famous french diet. See how small AW is?

3. SLO-Gunner

SLO-Gunner New Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Baltimore
    Riquelme's quote:

'The first leg gave us the belief we will score against Arsenal,' Riquelme told UEFA.com.

Which game was he playing in last week? I agree with the rest here though that we've got to play a disciplined match and take our chances carefully.

4. TheImposter

TheImposter Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Centerville, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Near the bottom of this article soccernet says Pena will re-establish his partnershp with Alvarez in the middle of defense. Are those the two main guys?

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=365860&cc=5901

Arsene says Clichy won't start. I agree -- how can you break up the back four right now? I'm not saying Flamini could someday be a first choice left back, but you can't stop doing what's worked so well right at the most crucial time.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=365852&cc=5901

******ing-A I am nervous. Will be working again and trying to sneak the score. That's worked well so far. Come on you Gunners!

5. feej92

feej92 New Member

Oct 24, 2004
    Los Angeles
    im antsy. there's just no security in the scoreline for me.

6. NSadhu

NSadhu New Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    I wonder if Villareal will come out attacking in the first half. If they do, we will have the chance to counter and that's when we'll need to be CLINICAL. I'd love to see Freddie bang one in. An Arsenal goal may effectively end the tie. However, if it's nil-nil in the second half... well, we all know what that can do to the nerves.

To single out a few players, I feel that Reyes, Cesc and Gilberto all have something to prove. Reyes and Cesc did it at the Bernabeu and will hope to shine again because they need to show their talent in front of their fellow Spaniards, not to mention Aragones. As for Gilberto, who may have already booked his place in Brazilian World Cup squad, he still wants to own that starting position. All three of them will have that extra incentive, which will hopefully drive us to the final.

7. arsenalgirl30016

Dec 10, 2003
    Flo Rida
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Totally and completely agree about Freddie and the match....we can not afford to well squander (for lack of a better word) chances like we have in the past few matches...put them in the back of the net! Come on Arsenal!

8. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    There were options just every single time Villa got past you guys they flubbed it, very poorly, in fact. That was honestly their worst offensive match in this entire competition. They played a better 0-0 draw to Man...gaaaag...Man...gaaaaggUnited. (sorry)

Some would argue that Gonzalo is better than Pena.
    Alvarez is their captain. As this is a better set of central defenders than the first leg I fear, for them, I think their biggest hurdle will be scoring multples tomorrow. Arsenal seem to be the first team in the competition that knows exactly how to shut their system down, flood the midfield and pressure the living hell out of them.

9. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    me as well. Especially when the first post on see on this thread has the name of cygan on it.

10. arsenalgirl30016

Dec 10, 2003
    Flo Rida
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well it is official-Sol will get the start. Traveling squad listed on Arsenal.com and Wenger quoted as saying Sol will start. I don't have a problem with this. As TG said no motivational speech required-Sol knows what is at stake. Tminus 25 hours and counting......... I feel sick! Come on Arsenal!

11. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    normally i'd be soooo pleased to have sol back :eek:

12. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    isn't it weird...

we love the position we are in, yet these games make me both nervous, sick, excited, scared... sitting thru the last match was brutal. it was different than most arsenal matches ive seen, the tension is just outta control. the second legs of these things are the worst too, so tomorrow should be another brutal match for me. i probably didnt explain that well, but im sure those of you know what i mean.

13. KevTheGooner

KevTheGooner Help that poor man!

Dec 10, 1999
    THOF
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Andorra
    I hear ya. The only time I've ever sweated so much while drinking was on Lake Powell.

14. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think you summed it up perfectly. The last CL match I was happy, but still not thrilled that we only won 1-0. I love the emotion of these matches, but wish it was a little less stressful. I guess if we didn't care so much about The Arsenal, it wouldn't be so upsetting.

Countdown: 24 1/2 hours until THE BIG MATCH!

15. KevTheGooner

Dec 10, 1999
    THOF
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Andorra
    hey! I think I can see my sangria down there!! :D :p

16. HomeatHighbury

Mar 25, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Everytime I think about the match I get nervous and butterflies in my stomach...maybe I need to go find that soft thing to throw at my tv now...earlier the better, too...all I found last time was a soccer ball...

17. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    1 of my Summer drinks along with Heiffenweiss with a slice of lemon (thanks to Bighorn for that suggestion).

good times.

18. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    german beer rules!

(Sorry America :D )

19. KevTheGooner

Dec 10, 1999
    THOF
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Andorra
    Bitte ein Bit!

20. SLO-Gunner

SLO-Gunner New Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Baltimore

don't be sorry...thanks for sharing.

21. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    it's one of my favourite things about living here. getting a crate of great beer for the balcony for 10 euro or so - compared to paying like 3 times as much for the same thing in london.

seriously nervous now.

if we can keep those spuds out of europe i think i'll wet my pants with laughter.

22. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Should be. That's how many continental teams (and ManU) beat Arsenal in the past.

- - - - - - -

Oddly enough I'm not too panicked. Yet.

a) Obviously the club was focusing on Tuesday, given the weekend lineup;

b) Phillip's injury is less crucial then that of others, particularly in how I expect the game to play out;

c) One goal. That's all Arsenal needs to truly ramp the pressure on Villareal, and I know the good guys will pester enough to keep that thought in the back of the VR players' heads.

d) Regardless of where Henry wants to play in the future, playing in the Cl final would be THE thing to raise his profile (read: worth) further. I don't expect him to falter as a weapon tomorrow.

Vr coach has already indicated they won't be changing philosophy. More importantly, Arsenal is good enough that VR can't get away with an all out attack. I can see their passing game and home crowd leading to some bizarre scoring outburst, but not at the expense of a clean sheet defensively. Add to the fact that Sol's positioning tomorrow shouldn't place him against the fastest striker and I think the defense should be fine.

The key will rest on how VR will adjust their attack based on the likelihood of Gilberto playing the man-up D. Riquelme used as a distraction? Who knows. If they stick with what they normally do, then Arsenal apparently has the plan and ability to shut them down. If VR changes up they risk abandoning their strengths.

I've said the past few weeks what Arsenal must do above winning is show the poise that suggests they're learning with each and every game. Beating VR at home confirmed the team is thinking forward and not sitting prone to stretches of bad form. I think they'll be able to put Saturday behind them and be 100% on target tomorrow.

1-1. Gunners beginning plotting for Barca.

23. gunner0007

gunner0007 Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    Bahamas
    With pretty much the whole Villareal team rested, i think that will boos them in a way, but no big for the Arse. AW rested Hleb and Ljungdberg, 2 players who will pour on the pace and attacking in the game tomorrow. When Villareal do attack, those 2 players mainly will be the ones to do some countering. Also we have Reyes, who, must be getting a bit tired by now but against Spanish teams he seems to play alot better. Im sure Sol will play really well, and 1 thing im glad about is that he has more speed than Senderos so that is always a good thing. Gilberto will need to do what he did in the last game....Overall i see the gunners winning 1-0.

24. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm assuming that Sol is going to be wearing a facemask for the game. I hope he gets a scary Hockey mask type and not one of those lame clear ones.

25. Dooglas

Dooglas Member

Jul 30, 2005
    Las Vegas, NV
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    game time is close at hand, and im nervous as F*** but im also confident in our boys, having one eye on the thing that has most eluded you in your career is not a sin, lets just hope concentration on the CL will pay off. if we werent in such a desperate situation we might have seen theo get some minutes, but i doubt it will happen.

eboue sol toure flamini
    Gilberto
    Hleb Cesc Fred Reyes
    Henry

Sub clichy in depending on our situation.

i hope to play like we did juve the second leg, blunt there attack and hit on the counter if possible.

GO GOONERS~