Alert: Arsenal versus Manchester City EFL Cup Final 2/25

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Romfordray, Feb 23, 2018.

1. Romfordray

Romfordray Member+

Oct 24, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Auba's first touch on that ball though was frikkin' sublime.

NorthBank repped this.
  2. Romfordray

Romfordray Member+

Oct 24, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dunno man. He was in striking distance of Kun. Kun gave him a slight shove. He has to know at that point or even before that he is on the worng side. Bring the dude down. Tie him up with both hands. Do something....anything other stan stop playing for 3 seconds.

3. Romfordray

Romfordray Member+

Oct 24, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well he was caught pretty far out on that play but agree with everything you said there.

4. Romfordray

Romfordray Member+

Oct 24, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Arteta is a better candidate based on what?

6. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    God I hope that's all it is.

He's only been with us just barely a month, but he really hasn't come good yet, or hit the ground running as they say.

Since his signing seems largely to have been a product of the new recruitment team, it may only heighten the melodrama around our club management.

7. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of Arteta, was anyone else rubbed wrong a little bit by how he was behaving after the match ended? All that gleeful PDA hugging w/ Pep and all. I've noticed it at other times as well, when we've played them.

Apparently Mikel is lovin bein at Citeh and worshiping his guru. Fair enough. But he might also do well to show a little bit more restraint, respect, loyalty to his old club and manager when we're his opponent.

Arteta was and still is well-respected old gun. I liked him a lot. And I'm not saying he's anywhere near Adebayor-level dickishness, but...

8. BIGHMW

BIGHMW Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Port Townsend, WA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't blame ya, I feel for ya kid, we absolutely sucked out there yesterday, how convenient, Chambers standing there with his thumb up his ass conceding yet another City goal just seconds before he was to have been subbed off, pathetic!!!

Now do you believe me when I say shit about Calum Chambers, just a few weeks ago we were praising him on his progress, he sure has degressed since then. Alice and I were looking forward to an Arsenal win against City (we beat them there last year in the FA Cup semifinal) at Wembley, and I remember that then as i watched it.

Also, no problems with the feed ESPN was using, but the commentary sucked a bit, after the match we kept in on ESPN for the Championship Round finals of the 2018 PBA (Professional Bowlers Association) Barbasol Players Championship, LIVE from Wayne Webb's Columbus Bowl in Columbus, Ohio, so we stuck around for the telecast, (although we could've waited until somebody uploaded it onto YouTube) as we are both bowlers and bowling fans, of course that tournament, a major on the Tour, was won by Tom Smallwood (his 3rd career PBA Tour title and 2nd career major), defeating Jason Belmonte in the title match 259-239. You can read about it right here:

https://www.pba.com/articles/Michig...pture-Barbasol-PBA-Players-Championship-Title

9. BIGHMW

BIGHMW Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Port Townsend, WA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    or...... you can watch it right here!!! The best bowlers in the world shown at their absolute best as they battle not only against each other, but also a very tough lane condition, with a very tough oil pattern, which is far more difficult than what we bowl on in league at our local bowling center.

10. Fifty

Fifty Member

Mar 11, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You gotta wonder about a game where the average fan could outrun most of the "athletes".

11. Gunning4Chelsea

Gunning4Chelsea Member+

Aug 2, 2005
    chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arteta has been under guardiola for last two years
    Good enough for me

Wenger has lost this dressing room
    Someone like Arteta can not do worse

Romfordray repped this.
  12. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Based on he is working with the GOAT manager

Calm down

Football fans are absolute weirdos about things like this.

13. danielh

danielh Member+

May 30, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    He played in the midfield is enough for me.

14. danielh

danielh Member+

May 30, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Wouldn't Arteta technically be more of an Everton supporter rather than an Arsenal one?

I'm ok with him going crazy and all, but beating this side is not much of an accomplishment.

Aaron d repped this.
  15. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Mike Phelan was under Alex Ferguson for 12 years and he sucked.

16. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At 90' Arsene asks the 4th official "why only four minutes?"

He replies "why would you want more time?"

Priceless.

17. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I think we have to face up to the fact that a fair amount of this squad is mediocre.

The best out and out goal scorer has been sold, Laca seems a bust and Auba is new.

There are some decent players to work with in Ozil, Auba, Mkhi, Kola, maybe Ramsey

There is a badly aging defensive core of players in Monreal, Kos, Cech - this is a major problem.

Then there are a whole bunch of underperformers like Xhaka, Wilshere, Ninny, Bellerin, Mustafi, Welstrozz, Laca, iwobi, Holding etc

This is just way too many players to carry. Obviously not all will go but the scale of the cleanout needed is pretty huge

18. Gunning4Chelsea

Gunning4Chelsea Member+

Aug 2, 2005
    chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    just like every other English manager

19. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    If his hair is anything to go by, he must demand absolute perfection, which is what we need. :p

ArsenalMetro repped this.
  20. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    And at least he knows how to play central midfield :ROFLMAO:

21. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Dyche and Howe have done well with what they have and hughton

Problem is English managers don’t get big jobs to see if they can handle it

22. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kind of true. But couldn't you say Mark Hughes had that chance when he was at the helm of Citeh when the petro dollars came in? And Brendan Rodgers had that chance (yes I know he's British not English) and actually did fairly well at Pool... from what I've heard his record is comparable to Klopp's so far, maybe even better... Rodgers actually had them challenging for the title in April until Stevie G's little whoopsie.

23. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #148 NorthBank, Feb 27, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
    You make very good points and it's sobering. But the chances of a full-scale cleanout seem slim to none. Plus you gotta believe that some players can be rejuvenated by a new manager. Think Otamendi, Delph, Sterling?

Lastly it wasn't lost on me that you now list Ozil in the "decent" category. When not long ago he was in your "elite" category. And sadly you're spot on. Whatever the reason(s), Mesut's just been so damn inconsistent for us, and his magic is just not often enough or potent enough to make a huge difference in our overall results.

I've actually found myself thinking that we should consider getting some transfer money for Ozil, and rebuilding the club around some other star AM. Heresy I know!

24. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Mark Hughes is welsh

25. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So right you are. I forgot that. So I guess your point about English managers stands. At least we can say that no English manager has won the Premier League. Obviously the Scots, and one Scot in particular, had a bit of a field day with the EPL.

So I looked up the list of managers who've won the English top flight, and the last English one was Howard Wilkinson (Leeds) from the year before the EPL. We knew that the EPL along with the TV deal money changed a lot of things about the English game, but this list makes it quite clear that it basically put an end to what had been a common phenomenon before that... English managers at the top of the league. (Kendall, Paisley, Clough, Revie, Mee et al)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_football_championship-winning_managers