Alert: ARSENAL VERSUS ASTON VILLA 2/23/13 @ 10 AM

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Romfordray, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Romfordray

Romfordray Member+

Oct 24, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wenger denied he had a natural aversion to spending money. "I'm not reluctant to spend," he said. "First of all, we only had money recently. Secondly, in England there is a way of thinking that every problem is sorted out just by spending money but that's not always the case."
    Now able to spend more, Wenger was confident Arsenal would be able to keep their good young players. "Yes, of course," he said when asked if Arsenal might be able to resist potential buyers. "You can only keep your best players, let's be realistic, by paying the wages of the market."
    http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...o-bridging-gap-with-europes-best-8507834.html

2. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmm... the heavenly annointed one?

3. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there a grammatical difference in how (some) Brits conjugate verbs after the word "club"?

In my world I would say "the club DOES" and "the club HAS".

I'm not poking fun at you Lamb, I'm just curious. This caught my eye... as I don't think I've noticed this type of conjugation before.

4. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    it can be either, i think.
    it's to do with whether someone sees a club as a 1 entity (singular) or a collective (plural).
    it's more common here, in most circumstances, to use the plural. i usually tend to use the plural, but not always. generally if you mean the players or fans it's plural. if it's, say, the club accounts, it doesn't seem to matter so much.
    i generally hate seeing "arsenal is...."
    maybe that's not what you meant and my english just sucks though .......it's been over 28 years since i took any formal english classes. ;)

5. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah if I can interject, usually in America collective terms (say, 'team' or 'class' or 'media') are treated as singular, while in Britain they are treated as plural.

I'm American but I prefer to treat collectives as plural terms. Just seems to make more sense to me.

6. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Interesting point, in spanish and french though, similar collective terms are treated as singular.