Arsenal v. West Bromwich Albion: Live PBP [R]

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Ian Lozada, Aug 27, 2002.

1. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Henry looked really sharp and hungry for it. He did his best to score, but he was intelligent enough not to try from outrageous angles even when we were a couple up and opted instead to pass to better placed team-mates. He has looked really good in our three games so far this season. I don't think he's the type to ever match Dennis' subtlety around the box, but he has so many other things to his game. Maybe a couple more years learning at the feet of the master and he could be ready.

2. kygunner

kygunner New Member

Aug 12, 2001
    Winchester KY USA
    Four clear goals it was not but it sure should have been. Had we not decided to screw around I cant imagine how bad the score would have been.

Keown is out against Chelsea...anyone concur on that? It wasnt that he was making mistakes but he was a step behind and he seemed to position himself poorly. I dont expect that from some one with his experience

Silva got by me as I rarely saw him or heard his name. Vieira is still the best ball dispossesser (if thats a word) that Ive seen. He so cleanly takes the ball from a player without a foul it shows unbelievable control.

Henry was so pissed that he could not score that it was written all over his face after the Aliadiere goal(congrats to the the new boy for an impeccable run and touch). I can see him in an after match interview, "assists are for midfielders I want goals!" Nice to see that hunger and he ran his butt off going for goal. I believe WBA were watching him too closely and that opened up things for the rest of the team.

Wiltord aint sliced bread yet but I think there may be a new Arsenalamerica award: The better than sliced bread award. He looked so poised and confident and soccernet.com is praising the teaching of zen-master Wenger for his turn around.

3. Senor Askew

Senor Askew Member

Jan 19, 2001
    San Francisco, CA.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn straight.

Since about March; right about the time Robert went down; Sylvain has been a player transformed.

Completely and utterly changed from the loafing, wasteful and clearly uninterested player of the previous year and a half to a big time Charlie. Thankfully not a champaigne Charlie though, like most of his France compatriots, seemingly...... ;)

He makes the big plays these days and even when it's not pretty, it goes in. Witness that loopy goal that gave us a vital three points at Everton late last year, not pretty but timely.

He's still behind Thierry and Jesus Christ Bergkamp on my list but he's quickly becoming worthy of backing them up, something I never could have imagined saying this time last year.

Even if Sylvain were to never play another minute for Arsenal his place in Gunners folklore is assured. May 7th 2002, Old Trafford, 56th minute, a rebound, straight past Barthez, yada yada yada.

But he's starting to earn his place in our good graces for much more. All credit to the man himself and Mr. Wenger. :)

But as has been stated he still has some way to go before he's canonized. The bitter taste of the first season and a bit are still around, just.

4. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    Not only did he do his best, but the rest of the squad worked overtime to try and feed him the ball, especially in the second half. Every run you could see whomever took the ball in, either on the wing or through the middle, was looking right at Henry and trying to figure out how to get a ball to him in a scoring position. Unfortunately, the master of ball placement was in the stands in street clothes.

Henry will never be a creator, like DB10. he is, however, one of the finest finishers in the world. Bergkamp himself has siad that, although he likes to score goals, he prefers the subtle pass to a teamate in traffic for the goal. Dennis also said he knows he doesn't have the "killer instinct" needed to finish like the great ones have, Henry in particular.

On the Wiltord front: where do you play him when DB10, Pires, and Freddie are all back and healthy? Not to even mention the return of van Bronckhorst. One of those guys will have to ride the pine for Wiltord to start. In fact, once they all get healthy you will have the following guys to choose from for 4 positions: striker - DB10, Kanu, Wiltord. Central midfield - Edu, Silva, and van Bronckhorst (PV4 is a given here). Outside Midfield (2 spots) - Pires, Freddie, Wiltord, and even the three guys fighting for central midfield spots. Any way you slice it, there will be an awful lot of talent on the Arsenal bench for some games this year.

I would assume your ideal line-up is:

Seaman
    Lauren, Cygan, Campbell, A. Cole
    Ljunberg, Silva, Viera, Pires
    Henry, Bergkamp

That leaves van Brockhorst, Edu, Wiltord, and Kanu on the bench. Too much on the bench, if you ask me. Methinks soon should be the day that Kanu and Arsenal part ways. Also, with how Edu has come on, van Brockhorst may be expendable as well.

5. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Coach,

How can you day that Cygan should be in the line-up without ever having seen him play? Most players take time to settle into English football, Wenger will probably take a long look at him in the reserves and maybe play him in a couple of Worthington Cup games before Keown is replced, however badly he's playing. I think the rest of the team picks itself at the moment. Kanu will go as soon as someone will take him I'd say, expecially with the emergence of Aliadiere. And you haven't even mentioned Pennant, Jeffers or Parlour in your list.

6. Ian Lozada

Ian Lozada Member

May 29, 2001
    The Pick Four Pool
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Especially considering what Matthew Upson gave you last year while he was healthy.

7. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Indeed, he looked good last year when he was fit. And Cygan is in his late 20s as well.