Arsenal v. Villareal, Champions League Semi-final postgame [R]

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Cannon, Apr 19, 2006.

1. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Continue here.

2. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    the referee wasnt that bad, but both the linesman hadn't a clue what offsides is.

what i liked bout the ref, is he wasnt buying any needless falling to the ground, in a vain attempt to win a free kick. for either team.

3. billyho96

billyho96 Member

Aug 16, 2003
    Arkansas
    Villareal can't score from open play.

They didn't score for like the first 290 minutes of the competition. Everytime they get into their half they look for something to trip over.

P.S. anyone see that great new sportscenter commercial with Sheva in its, its great, really great

4. evanpemsocr

evanpemsocr New Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Rocky Mount, Va
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like everyone else has said, its a win but would have been nice to have at least 1 or 2 more goals. Villareal killed the game off in the second half and made it very boring. Did they haev a shot on goal from the run of play?

5. surfcam

surfcam Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. AR's were shite.

Also, there were 3 players carrying yellow cards coming in to the match today for VR. After all the bookings today, one of them has to be out the next match, right?

6. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Had to save this comment from the last thread:
    Very true on all counts.

Nice to have the goal and the clean sheet but another goal or two could have really helped. Oh well. One goal at their place and we're likely advancing. I can't see them scoring 3 on our defense.

7. Winstan

Winstan New Member

Jan 28, 2005
    The main thing for Arsenal is that Villareal didn't get any away goals.

8. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Sheva is on a SC commercial. sweet

9. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Tacchinardi is gone for the 2nd leg

10. Gunner Phan

Gunner Phan Member

Dec 12, 2003
    Gramercy, NYC
    I saw it...it was sweet.

gilberto was more or less awesome today. lucky too.

[phlair] whoo! [/phlair]

11. evanpemsocr

evanpemsocr New Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Rocky Mount, Va
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, it was pretty funny.

12. TxTechGooner

Feb 24, 2003
    9 games now w/out allowing a goal?

13. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd have been happier if we got two goals, but I'll take a one goal lead and no away goal given. Villareal hasn't beaten a team by two goals yet in the Champions league, all we have to do is go there and score one and were pretty much through to the final.

14. surfcam

surfcam Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just read on soccernet.com that Villarreal will have a new sponsor next season!;)

[​IMG]

15. billyho96

billyho96 Member

Aug 16, 2003
    Arkansas
    Taccanardi is gone,

I think having a lead into the away leg is more of an advatange than some. The clean sheet at home is more important than the goals.

829 minutes without conceding

hard to believe

16. surfcam

surfcam Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is a lot of football without a goal against.

17. feej92

feej92 New Member

Oct 24, 2004
    Los Angeles
    still can't wrap my mind around it, especially after last year's CL results. wow.

oh btw, f*ck spurs!

18. TxTechGooner

Feb 24, 2003
    did forlan play?

19. AFCfan4ever

AFCfan4ever New Member

May 8, 2005
    Collins, MO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eh mixed bag for me but it's mostly positive, we played well and deserved the win but I'm not happy that we just scored one...in all honesty, we took the foot off the accelerator half way through the 2nd half and let Villarreal kill the game off. I'm confident we can score in the 2nd leg but I would've liked to have seen at least one more goal. I didn't get the subs at all, Hleb and Freddie were doing very well in the attack...Wenger should've left the 11 we had out there. Senderos and Toure were awesome, as was Flamini. Gilberto and Hleb did a great job at shutting down Riquelme, we frustrated him more than any other team has and it worked. We played him just how I thought and hoped we would, physical. Both Gilberto and Hleb were all over him tonight, not letting him have much room and making their presence known with some bumps and knocks here and there. It frustrated him and took him out of the game for the most part. One of the big keys to the game.Forlan was also invisible, again Toure and Senderos didn't let him sniff the ball. All in all, good performance...I think if we get one away goal than we should be fine. Great way to send Highbury out.

20. dwinkler

dwinkler New Member

Aug 11, 2000
    Denver, CO
    Gilberto rules

Gilberto was our man of the match by a longshot. Hleb was next, he was just outstanding. Cesc was sub-par, and Henry's finishing was terrible. If he leaves, we'll be just fine, since Hleb is quite obviously the new creative force on the team.

The linesmen blew 2 offsides calls that should have gone our way, but also 1 that should have gone their way.

Was it a penalty? No, it was outside the box. Was it a foul? Probably - and I don't care. Thought we got, to put it mildly, the benefit of the doubt from the Austrian ref. I'll take it.

21. Gunners11

Gunners11 Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I saw it too, the end is hilarious.

22. feej92

feej92 New Member

Oct 24, 2004
    Los Angeles
    he was on the pitch, but i couldnt tell if he was playing :D

23. Detlef

Detlef Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well done, phishy! he had that shot early on that was high and wide, the crowd laughed.

24. GoonerMan

GoonerMan New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Essex,England
    taking a 1-0 lead to spain with us on the back of 9 clean sheets in a row i can live with,i wud have preferred another 1 or 2 but i can live with 1-0. thierry henrys first half 'goal' should have stood, the linesman made a monumental error and i was spitting venom.but thats football.

henry just said 'lets see how they do when they come at us in the next leg.....then we can maybe play our game a bit and make a couple of counter attacks' lol

25. TxTechGooner

Feb 24, 2003