Arsenal v. Shrewsbury CC Pre/During/Post Matchday Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by crazy150, Sep 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goonsquad

goonsquad Member

Apr 1, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For me Ox, Yossi and Coquelin were our best players. Frimpong looked pretty good too. I have to say I really like Coquelin he is composed, strong, tactically aware and good on the ball. No wonder we shipped 5 goals when he came off at OT. :p

2. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just saw it as well. That was totally abject defending. He didnt even try to jump. He has been a total disaster this season.

On a different note, nice stroke by ASQOC for the second goal.

3. Fun with Acid

Fun with Acid New Member

Mar 12, 2004
    Lake Kinkaid
    Is the draw Friday?

4. MilesW

MilesW Member+

Aug 26, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. cashflow

cashflow Member

May 31, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    To be honest i dont think he is 2nd string. I just think that Wenger is not over-using him. He just came back from an injury & im sure when you see the big games come.....he will be 1st choice.

6. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    as cashflow said, i think it's more a question of getting him back to full fitness rather than a demotion.

what's wrong with competition and our young "stars" being pushed? we've seen the (ill) effect of not being pushed. if gibbs is going to come up good, he'll beat out andre santos.

7. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    totally agree, they played well.

i think benayoun will be better on the outside than as the central attacking mid. but i think he'll be a nice contributor. plus he does a darn good job of coming back to help defensively.

i really liked how coquelin looked. i really would like to see him filling in for wilshere and move arteta up to the central attacker role. the year on loan really seemed to have helped him. i would have loved to see frimpong out on loan during this first half of the season and come back when song goes to the ACN.

park didn't stand out but did some nice things (making runs, receiving the ball and sending it along). i think once he gets into game shape and get used to the speed, he can be a contributor. definitely a nice option to have available with chamakh's ACN duty coming up.

i don't really get what's happening with djourou. i mean, with senderos (and almunia/fabianski), you can visibly see that they lost their confidence and were scared to have the ball come toward them. it doesn't strike me as a confidence issue with him. he just seems to have forgotten how to play.

is it bad that i would feel more comfortable with miquel in the lineup than djourou at this point?

8. hughmanatee

hughmanatee Member

Aug 11, 2010
    Montréal
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Venezuela
    I feel like he needs some time to find his legs and place within the squad. On form he's as good as anybody. Fingers crossed. Hopefully he gives Arsene good reason for a permanent transfer.

Frimpong, Song, and Coquelin are going to be the key players to rebuilding Arsenal, I think. As long as they keep playing and improving as they have there is no need for Diaby or Rosicky.

Park seems to have a good first touch. I really badly want Chamakh to rediscover his form early last season - I think he was and still can be great.

Focus. The boy lacks focus - it's unbelievable how often he just shuts down in the middle of a game.

Not quite, but I'm getting there - mostly because Miquel has looked quite decent.

9. Munchlaxatives

Aug 13, 2008
    Houston
    cashflow needs to see this.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zh60eUyCdKA"]Coquelin vs Shrewsbury - YouTube[/ame]

10. cashflow

cashflow Member

May 31, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

And you also need to see this....Something i posted on the Man U-Arsenal thread BEFORE the game....

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?p=24208270#post24208270

Before any of you guys barely even mentioned him.

P.S. I never judge on youtube, you can make any player look good by cutting pieces of play. For example take Wellington Silva, young Brazilian we got from Fluminense.....his youtube vids are awesome but anybody who has ever seen him play will beg to differ....matter fact he has hardly played for Fluminense or Levante. So yeah, forget youtube.

& i agree Coquellin is an excellent prospect who i have been touting for around 2 years now.

11. gunner0007

gunner0007 Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    Bahamas
    I agree that he can start but I disagree from the youtube thing. You can pmake any player look good from highlights of the player. This video was everytime he was on the ball for this game, which is the good and the bad. From this video I see very little bad and tons good. I think at this point from his performances that he should start over Frimpong, but that's just me.

12. gunner0007

gunner0007 Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    Bahamas
    The only thing Miquel lacks over Djourou is experience which I'm hoping he will get with the Carling Cup and FA Cup games.

13. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    plus he seems like he's willing to be a squaddie, if he's given legitimate run outs. we could use an effective veteran like that in the squad.
    please, you're getting me excited. :D

rosicky, though, can contribute in positions that these three cannot (although i feel like coquelin can be a fill in for wilshere's slot which would negate rosicky).
    same. i like chamakh a lot. he's nowhere near as talented as bendtner but i feel like he uses what he has more effectively. i still think he's being asked to do more than he should be but, if he can get his confidence back and get back to doing what he's best at, he brings a nice different dimension that we don't have otherwise.
    point. what i don't get is how he could go from that period where was playing ridiculously well to this. he didn't have these periods of walk-abouts (or they weren't as evident) during that great stretch.
    miquel with mertesacker would probably be too slow (in general but especially with our high line) but, paired with koscielny, he could be doable.

14. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    In all fairness to O Brasileiro he did tout Coquelin some time back. I personally didn't know much about him but he showed me all I needed to see v Manure. Bite in the tackle, great range of passing and positional sense aka footballing brain. Thought he and Frimpong worked well together. Really like them competing along with Song. Imvho we should start two of those three each game just my .02

I listened to the game on the web, which was kinda cool haven't done that in decades really and the announcers kept raving about Coquelin. Even when he made an error he worked to rectify it as seen on that video. He showed his entire arsenal there and frankly there was little bad save for a couple of missed passes and him immediately hustling to make up for it.

15. InTheSun

InTheSun Member+

Oct 20, 2005
    The Andes Mountains
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I saw him with L'Orient a couple of times last season. He progressed a lot and was doing very well and was highly regarded by Christian Gourcuff. Also did very well in the U20 wc.

16. No1ArsenalFan

No1ArsenalFan New Member

May 6, 2004
    I hope your not calling me a bandwagon fan Yossi. I've supported The Arsenal since I could talk.

17. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whoosh! Wait, did you hear that? I swear it went right over your head.

18. No1ArsenalFan

No1ArsenalFan New Member

May 6, 2004
    That is the exact same stance that I take, and I said as much earlier. There is no one on this current board that is good for the club. The last person on the board that made money for this football club the way it should be made (by winning football matches, and therefore trophies before he sold his shares because he felt let down and didn't want to be involved in the club because he could see what was happening to it) was David Dean. It is no coincidence that we've been on a steady decline since David left. He was just as important to us winning trophies under Wenger as Wenger was. The current board don't give two hoots how the Arsenal are doing on the pitch as long as their making money. As a football club our main objective should be to be the best in the world at playing football. The current way the club is being run is like saying the main objective of a bank is being the best in the world at playing football. We are never going to get back to the heights we were at before with any manager under this board. Nothing is going to change for ages so god help us while the quality of all the teams gets better and better year on year like its doing at the moment.

Rant over

19. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member+

Mar 10, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    aaaand again.

20. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001