Arsenal v Manchester United, 3 November, [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Vermont Red, Oct 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vermont Red

Vermont Red Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

vs

[​IMG]

Date: 11/3
    Time : 12:45 (UK) 7:45 am (CST)
    TV : Sky Sports 1 (UK) Setanta Sports (USA)

The two best and most stylish teams face off in what Arsenal fans believe will be a title-decider. (Be patient, it's been a while for them.) What cannot be denied is that this is a clash of the two form teams in the Premiership so far this season.

Arsenal is led by their wonder boy, Frannie Fabregas, who pulls the strings in midfield. Manchester United will counter with wave after wave of attacks behind Rooney, Ronaldo and Tevez. While these encounters are usually dour, tactical affairs, this one could feature the two most technical teams in England going back and forth.

2. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    VR.

You son of a bitch.

:D

Beat me by a minute.

I think we should combine my match info and logos with your insightful commentary...

3. Vermont Red

Vermont Red Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. Oh, NM...

4. Republic of Mancunia

Aug 24, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Can I do one too?

5. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    *tear* sniffle...sniffle....IT'S SOOO BEAUTIFUL!!!...sniffle...sniffle:D

6. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    VR - check your PM in about a minute, I'll just copy the code from mine to you and delete mine. Edit yours if you want to.

7. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    All I ask for is an open match. We've played quite a few dour games in the last few years.

Due to the fact that Britain has started winter time 1 week before us (we move the clock backs this Sunday), this lunchtime kickoff will still be at a decent hour for the rest of us. 8:45 on the East Coast, not bad at all. Unfortunately, my pub isn't open early enough :( in Central time. Was looking forward to some Octoberfest and buffalo wings. Oh well.

8. Vermont Red

Vermont Red Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now I messed up the badges. Someone help me.

9. jayro75

jayro75 Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Amateur..

10. Vermont Red

Vermont Red Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I need a mod. If this can't be fixed then we have no chance on Saturday.

11. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Get those pictures up immediately or I am leaving.

12. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    You had them fine the first time. Just insert the websites I sent you into the image tags.

Also, I guess Saha, Neville, and maybe Evra are injury issues.

I know, I'm a Monday morning thread-maker.

13. jayro75

jayro75 Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Do you promise???:p

14. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Yes, Yes I do.

Then I will become a Arsenal supporter and I will influence them to purchase Veloso and any other Portuguese talent that comes along by aggressively promoting their talent and rumors that may or not may truthful into their respective transfer thread.

Do you want that? Do really WANT that?

15. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    If you promise that you get Quaresma to Arsenal.

;)

16. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Low blow! Low blow!

17. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Will Fergie have the guts to go with the same formation we've been using? I expect to see....

----------VanderSaar------------
    ------Ferdinand---NemVidic-------
    Brown----------------------Evra
    ------Hargreaves-Anderson*-----
    Ronaldo----CarlitosTevez------Giggs
    -------------Rooney---------------

*Depending on the fitness of Fletcher and Carrick. Im not sure if they've been letting Carrick do any running while recovering from the broken arm. Even if they have, I doubt he's going to start. Fletcher is also just coming back from injury. Fergie may want to spell Hargreaves after 60-75 minutes depending on the score, so I think he may come off the bench.

Another approach would be to start both Fletcher and Hargreaves since we are away from home, but having Anderson come off the bench as he has just played two three games in a 7-8 day span. One reason why I am weary of Anderson starting is because asking him to take on the Arsenal midfield can be a big ask. One thing no one ever brings up with regards to their midfield is the excellent fitness, stamina levels. Cesc and Flamini seem to go box to box for 90+ and never show any fatigue. They press the ball often. Infact, the game winning goal came from Cesc giving Scholes a hardtime and winning the ball eventually.

Having said all that, Anderson despite the hardwork he's been donig for us, I dont think he could last 90 minutes in this game. His play could be used as a spark in the second half. I wouldnt even play Nani in this game. The pace of Arsenal's team, let alone backline may unsettle him.

This rest during the week should do some good. Im very confident going into this game. For one they beat us twice last season. Our players regardless of the bigger picture will have to exact revenge for that.

Back to the pace of Arsenal's backline, the wings may not be the main focus of attack. Especially considering the form Carlos Tevez is in? I am going to predict him winning man of the match. I cant put it in text, but I just have a good feeling that he is the type of player to help us excel in this game. As fast at Arsenal's backline maybe, they cant move faster than the ball.

Hargreaves is definately going to have his work cut out for him. If Arsenal play with Hleb behind Adebayor, that couple with Cesc and their so called wide players will be a handful. Hleb has been on fine form lately as has Cesc. This is another reason why I think Fletcher should get the nod as we may need a lot of pressure applied. Watching Arsenal play this year, they've just tired out the opposing teams midfielders when in possesion. Thas something to keep in mind.

Im confident in our attack and defense. Despite Adebayor scoring the winner at OT last season, he doesnt make me worry for Rio and Vidic.

18. israbeckham

israbeckham Member

Jun 18, 2006
    California
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    Ohhh you armatures... When NM and I started a match thread at the same time there wasn't all this cayuse!

I ********ING HATE MYSELF!
    ******** ******** ******** ********!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I planned a trip to UC Santa Barbara for the past month for this weekend and now Im probably not gonna watch the game live!!! God damn it I hate this.

Im gonna bring my laptop and pray to god that the ************ motel will have internet connection, and that the streams work. And record the game at home and wait to watch it late Sunday.:( But if I do that I cant even get a near a computer for the entire weekend. But its America it should be too hard not finding out the score of a football match:p

19. israbeckham

israbeckham Member

Jun 18, 2006
    California
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    Line-up

-------------------VDS-----------------------
    -----------Rio-----------------Vida------------
    Brown-----------------------------------Evra
    -----------------Hargreaves----------------
    ----------------Anderson--------------------
    Ronaldo--------------------------------Giggs
    --------------Tevez------------------------
    ---------------------------Rooney-----------

Key Players who must perform- Ronaldo, Rio, Hargreaves

20. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    hahaha...a motel with an wireless internet...comedy!

21. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Some great looking matchups going on -

Hargreaves and Anderson VS Flamini and Fabregas
    Giggsy (or Roo in a 4-5-1) VS Sagna
    Adebayor VS Rio and Vida

We are just going to need a ton of runners out there. Guys like Rosicky, Hleb, Walcott off the bench, have pace to burn. That's why I'd almost consider Simpson in this game, and *heresy* Nani over Giggs. Giggs has the end product though, so he should start.

22. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Im more worried about Oshea at LB. The pace of the Arsenal players will bother him. Tuncay seemed to pick on him against Boro as well.

23. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Is it guaranteed that Evra is out? I hadn't heard anything at all, I was hoping he'd play. Shit, if he's out we will be quite exposed down that flank.

24. israbeckham

israbeckham Member

Jun 18, 2006
    California
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    Ya we really need his pace in our attacks this game.
    I wish we had Twitty now:D seriously

I hope that in Simpson will be used in some way

25. Sapphire

Sapphire Moderator

Jun 29, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You make me laugh. Chaos. :)

I'm really getting excited for this game. And today is only TUESDAY!!! How am I going to muster patience until the weekend? Arggh.

My predictions: This will be a high-scoring affair. I think if Ronaldo scores one, he'll score two. And I see Rooney bagging a goal as well. 3-2 to us. I think SAF has to keep going with the Rooney/Tevez pairing to keep the chemistry brewing, despite this being the perfect game in a sense to see Saha get some minutes. I don't know on the midfield -- it all comes down to Anderson's personality and mentality. I'd like to see a Fletch/Hargreaves midfield, but I think Fergie should test Anderson in this fixture if he feels like the kid can handle it (I really can't tell).

Thank god Ferdinand isn't injured. His importance to the team hits like a ton of bricks sometimes, dunnit?