Arsenal v. Liverpool, July 15 2020 2015 GMT

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by mebeSajid, Jul 15, 2020.

1. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This seriously angers me, every handball incident he’s involved with, they don’t even get reviewed. But anyone else? PK, doesn’t matter if you accidentally handled or not, PK.

thebigman and DaPrince84 repped this.
  2. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Wow, that's not nearly as bad as I would've guessed. This is kind of a classic Wenger game with us playing the antagonists, limiting opponent to low quality shots. Thought our defensive shape was not bad, but we're not getting nearly enough possession or chances out of our current formation

mebeSajid and DaPrince84 repped this.
  3. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Also shout out to Arteta, today his subs weren't complete dogshit as they have been almost always this season

maskito repped this.
  4. ArsenalJake

ArsenalJake Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I've never actually heard this before, and don't think I've noticed the trophy from that season being gold. Regardless, now I'm curious when this was decided. Did the FA decide to give Arsenal a gold trophy that season because they went undefeated, or was that always written in some set of league bylaws? Is there some precedent for this sort of thing in football in general?

5. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Arteta really hammering home his transfer message. Smart, using his cred to get shit done, hopefully:

cantona94, Silva 5 and maskito repped this.
  6. maskito

maskito Member+

Arsenal
    Jan 14, 2006
    Nashville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fun stat gleaned from F365: this is the first EPL fixture where Liverpool have held a lead and lost the match since April 2017.

ArsenalMetro repped this.
  7. Deep Wilcox

Deep Wilcox BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 5, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More Rob Holding going forward please (not forward on the pitch, but, well, you know)

daedalus repped this.
  8. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    i thought they were acceptable prior to the shutdown - proactive substitutions and at decent times. it'd been garbage since restart, though.

Super Llama repped this.
  9. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    uh, hello? since he is english and plays for liverpool, the terms you are looking for is "hard-nosed" and "clever". thank you.

ArsenalMetro repped this.
  10. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    every played football manager? where you dominated possession and had umpteen shots on goal but the shitshow opponents had two bullshit goals - one off a shit pass by your most steady defender who is great on the ball and another off a shit pass by your steady goalkeeper - on, like, two shots on goal and blocks all of your shots?

yeah, a lot like that.

good part, though, is not a lot of work for the groundskeeping crew. each half was largely spent on one side of the pitch only.

cantona94 and Super Llama repped this.
  11. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    So I pick today to go for a hike and Arsenal beats Liverpool? Well that figures. As was hinted earlier, now we need LCFC to lend a hand.

At least I enjoyed my valley and waterfall views.

daedalus repped this.
  12. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    how forgetful of me :laugh:

daedalus repped this.
  13. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    I was big on Chambers and Holding, and on one leg I would still rather Chambers over Luiz or Kolasinac...

Deep Wilcox and Shen-O repped this.
  14. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was very vocal about Holding but his injuries did not stop.

I was also vocal about Duzi and Torreira, but Duzi has failed me with his attitude problems and Torreira can’t get decent game time, even though he’s the best DM here. Must be a shit show in training or gels horribly with Xhaka.

15. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Martinez>Leno

16. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was in tax-filing hell today so in a rarity I missed this live. I just watched it, half still working and half asleep but I got the gist.

Yeah. At one point they flashed the stats and it was shots: 2-10, shots-on: 2-6, goals: 2-1. Efficiency like we've never seen before!

Join the club! We've basically owned that statistic all year.

So no we know EXACTLY what you'll be doing Saturday afternoon then. Right? Right?????

GunnerJacket repped this.
  17. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obviously the outcome of this match could've gone completely differently. We were lucky, clinical, and executed our game plan well.

I guess Arteta thought to himself "if ever there's a time for us to win at home by ceding possession, playing in a shell and hoping for a few breaks, then playing the champions in our empty stadium is that time!"

But one not so little turning point came in stoppage time. Shaquiri put the equalizer in the net, but it was quickly whistled out, apparently because of a foul on Tierney. Origi or Winaldum or whoever got his arm onto the side of Kieran's face. Who then made a meal of that foul and the ref bought it.

It was the kind of embellished, earned-foul that we'd complain about an opponent doing, and it seemed to me a fairly innocuous knock, but had Tierney not thought to do that, we'd certainly have given them back 1 point at least.

Fine margins. But I'll certainly take the 3 pts... against Liverpool! And it keeps our UEFA hopes alive, and I'm of the school that we need to be in that tournament for different reasons.

Last but not least, @mebeSajid better make another last-minute, same-day, minimalist opening post for the next match. ;)

mebeSajid repped this.
  18. cantona94

cantona94 Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This hits my soul...

daedalus and Super Llama repped this.
  19. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    so, uh, i'm not certain what you plan for saturday was. but i'm going to need you to go on another hike.

maskito and GunnerJacket repped this.
  20. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    i think the problem with holding was that he only really got healthy just before the break. i mean, he was able to participate but really not quite the same yet.

i'm disappointed about guendouzi. he's a talent for certain. and a bit of an edge is good. i think it's a good drive to be better. but out of control is bad.

i was trying to keep an eye on him today to see if he could just sit and protect but he really was not noticeable for the most part. and when i did notice him, he was more chasing the ball down. i really was hoping he could settle in and stick around because i like him.

Shen-O repped this.
  21. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    This game was every stoke/Wigan/Bolton game vs arsenal ten years ago re created

GunnerJacket, Super Llama and Shen-O repped this.
  22. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Who you talking about in the last para? Douzi didn't play so couldn't be him

23. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Torreira?

Shen-O repped this.
  24. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  25. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Yeah - this is the problem with the Arteta turnaround

The underlying data remains pretty bad. We are 9th for a reason, though to be fair he took over the team in a terrible place, we aren't really better