Arsenal v Leicester City [R] - Pre/Dur/Post Match Discussion

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by kanonier, Feb 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MisplacedSpainard

Apr 5, 2007
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    This is the issue. Is he done devloping? Will he becoming clinical and flourish now and not get injuries?

I have always been somewhat biased towards him because he seems more like a one trick pony.

2. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    he's 25 years old. in all his years of playing, he's only had 2 seasons where he was healthy enough to play in over 40 games. i would love to see him put in 2-3 seasons before he turns 30 where he can put in 40+ games and 20+ goals, but i don't see it happening. i would love for theo to prove me wrong

3. InTheSun

InTheSun Member+

Oct 20, 2005
    The Andes Mountains
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I thought he was doing well before the injury. Can't say if he will regain form but I think it's early yet. He was gone a long time.

4. NBlue

NBlue Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Orlando, Florida
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I tend to agree with the criticisms of Theo on the Arseblog. As he points out only 9 passes attempted and 6 completed on the entire night. That's not good. And he does seem to consistently be uninvolved and/or in bad positions. The goal was nice positioning and a tidy finish but really set up by Ozil's bullet shot. I think it will be interesting to see how Theo does over the next 4 weeks or so -- he is certainly going to play a lot during that time and I am hopeful we are simply seeing him reintigrate after coming back from injury.

5. Ryndal

Ryndal Member

Feb 7, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    About Theo

The most interesting point in the arseblog comment to meas that Theo touched the ball fewer times (in more than twice the minutes) than Giroud.

I know Giroud is a target man. I also know that Theo's value is in large part from his off the ball runs. But that is still an interesting stat.

And several of those touches were in the sequence where Theo was played thru, took 4 or 5 touches and then attempted to square the ball. That is an interesting sequence to me. Theo was caught - admittedly he was caught by a defender who appeared to have a great angle of pursuit, but Theo never used to get caught.

Has he perhaps lost a little speed?

Discussion?

6. NBlue

NBlue Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Orlando, Florida
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Arseblog (and others) are actually upset about Theo's first touch in that clear opportunity against Tottenham last week. Even though its the stats that look not so great this week -- its that touch last week (coupled with the loss) that gnaw at one. Thing is, I think Theo is probably our best player at getting himself in positions to make those plays - its just so frustrating that when he does get there he has a lower conversion percentage than we might like. Accordingly, its damn frustrating both to sort out and to analyze properly once you do get it sorted.

I think Theo deserves at least the rest of this season to get back into a comfort zone and I think he will have it as well.

7. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So true!

8. BigEffingGooner

BigEffingGooner Member+

Apr 25, 2012
    Austin, Tx
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I've never been a fan of Theo honestly and he isn't worth the wages he is getting now, let alone what he is surely going to want when renegotiating. With Alexis, Özil, Wellbeck and Ox all as young options wide and prospects like Gnabry coming through I'd just as soon see Theo go myself.

9. MisplacedSpainard

Apr 5, 2007
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    We could get good money for him I am sure.

10. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Coming off a long term injury Theo has three goals in three starts, two in league play and on in the FA Cup. He has a total of 223 minutes, the equivalent of about 2.5 games of league play and only has 2 fewer EPL goals than Welbeck. I think we need to reserve comment on Theo until we see how he performs for the remainder of the season.

11. BigEffingGooner

BigEffingGooner Member+

Apr 25, 2012
    Austin, Tx
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Wellbeck adds to the teams overall play, combines with others and works his @&$ off defensively. Theo? Runs around like a headless chicken and offers nothing but those goals. He is a giant black hole, we play a man down but get gifted the occasional goal with him in the team.

12. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You don't consistently get in on goal by running around like a headless chicken.

(The following is an aside that has nothing to do with the Theo Walcott discussion, but it's something I've been thinking a lot about this season with all the praise for Alexis and Welbeck's work rate, and your post reminded me of it.) Yes Welbeck works hard, but defense isn't just a result of 'want to' like some jingoistic college basketball analyst would tell you. He was terrible defensively against Sp*rs and his lack of anything approaching shape discipline was one of the biggest reasons Bellerin was repeatedly exposed.

13. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll never cease to be amazed how underrated goal scoring is.

Creating chances and scoring from them is the hardest thing to do in this game, and all Arsenal fans want to do is slag off one guy who consistently creates chances at a world elite level and another guy who finishes those chances more consistently than anyone else in the team.

14. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. Theo scores goals. Theo assists goals. He needs to be used more carefully as he can dip out of games, but he's valuable.

15. DeltaSig

DeltaSig Member

Mar 7, 2007
    DENVER
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People wanted to replace OG with Sonogo a season or so ago.

16. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People have wanted Matty Taylor, Scott Parker, Curtis Davies, Matthew Upton, Darren Bent, and Joey Barton here before. This place is mad a lot.

17. DeltaSig

DeltaSig Member

Mar 7, 2007
    DENVER
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All who are better than Sonogoal

18. total_football

total_football Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Matthew "Upton" (sic) came up through the Arsenal academy and was deemed not good enough by Wenger. Not sure anyone wanted him back, even as he has had an ok career.

19. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There were plenty who thought if we had only kept the Englishmen things would have been totally different.

20. total_football

total_football Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Cashley Hole-Gate was a disaster for us we lost the best LB in the league. But until Wilshere came along, not much from our academy, honestly. You can say that AW ran into a Logan's run phenomenon, where he let all the vets go who could have stayed to provide leadership. obviously Bergy was going to retire.

21. RitztotheRubble

RitztotheRubble Member+

Apr 15, 2011
    walcott is much more valuable to us than welbeck is. give theo some time. he just got back and is already getting goals.

22. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Poor overall preformance but three points is what matters at the end of the day. The only reason we are still in this thing is because the league is utter shite this year.

darcgun repped this.
  23. RitztotheRubble

RitztotheRubble Member+

Apr 15, 2011
    it's been utter shite the past few years. too bad we've only added to the utter shiteness.

24. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Coq may not be everyone favorite player but he is putting some serious stats since the beginning of the year.

"No player in Europe's top 5 leagues has made more interceptions in 2015 than Francis Coquelin (26).
    @Squawka

"Francis Coquelin has won the most tackles (20) in the Premier League in 2015. "

25. Gunning4Chelsea

Gunning4Chelsea Member+

Aug 2, 2005
    chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    calm down

Primary purpose of a striker is to score goals...second..create goals..period
    sadly Welbinho has been somewhat deficient in that role (caveat...I like him)
    mere fact that he runs his ass off and plays "defense"..is really ancillary...those are bonus attributes

Fifty and bandwagongooner repped this.