Arsenal v. Leeds United, Monday January 6, 2020 1956 GMT

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by mebeSajid, Jan 3, 2020.

1. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Do you have a link to that discussion? Wouldn't mind reading it ...

That will emerge when someone wins at scale.

Remember before ipod/itunes dominated there were like a gazillion mp3 players and services.

Then at the end of the day music streaming eventually got taken over by Spotify and Itunes feels very much a legacy platform.

DutchCane repped this.
  2. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There isn't one particular thread where the merits of the new streaming landscape has been discussed/debated, but all threads I've seen are under this forum: https://www.bigsoccer.com/forums/tv-satellite-radio.688/

The discussion goes back a few years I think, and I feel like most of it happened in the NBC, FOX & Turner threads.

DutchCane and maskito repped this.
  3. maskito

maskito Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are really getting off-topic but this thread won't be open much longer anyway. Fundamentally, there is a dumbing down of technology for the most # of people. People will typically pay (much) more for something that is "easy" more than for something that is technically better (ie. may be more complicated to use, but superior features overall). It's the biggest reason Apple is the dominant and highly profitable company they are today.

DutchCane repped this.
  4. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I’m surprised we don’t have a streaming service for the premier league a la Netflix

one simple subscription and all league games etc

maybe like nba league pass

5. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On yesterday's Arsecast my favorite moment was when they talked about how the stadium music after FT was different. I did notice that myself, but I couldn't make out the tune. They said it was "She Tied a Yellow Ribbon" I think, which I'm not familiar with. But what I AM familiar with is how awful "Sweet Caroline" is and it was heartening to hear both Andrew & Tayo agree with this, and heartening that the Club may be going away from that awful cliche of a song. He says with fingers crossed. Tayo even said what I said many months ago... bring back Curtis Mayfield... what was in any way wrong with that?!

DutchCane repped this.
  6. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    That's not been the model though

The premium league has made mega ££ by selling to monopolistic broadcasters like Sky domestically at premium, and then piecemeal globally.

Of course Amazon is starting to attack that but they have the huge reach to do it

thebigman and maskito repped this.
  7. InTheSun

InTheSun Member+

Oct 20, 2005
    The Andes Mountains
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Agreed. And some will bundle up. My Disney+ for instance, came bundled with Hulu. We were about to cancel Hulu, but since it came with the new DIsney+, then we still have it.

8. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    It is slightly annoying that you need two in the US. But creating separate revenue streams to boost profits and annoy customers is one of the defining features of late-capitalism.

9. danielh

danielh Member+

May 30, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Hulu is majority owned by Disney, they are going nowhere (hence the free bundle).

There has been so much consolidation over the last few years, with Disney/Fox, Att/Turner, etc -- I doubt we will see anyone drop off for a loooooong time. CBS is still around and kicking, which says a lot.

Even in the case of a massive failure, with the move from TV to internet devices, it only makes sense for broadcasters to make the switch.

I don't ever see the PL moving to a subscription model. There just aren't enough games to satisfy these huge broadcasting agreements, and offering decent games for customers to subscribe/watch.

Personally after this year I think we're close to seeing the end of fragmentation, after HBOMax and Peacock go live. I doubt we will start seeing "winners" for a decade at least, too much money is pouring in to try to make them successful, and the technology built is useful long term to the publishers/broadcasters.

The aggregators model is a bit different (youtube/roku/sling/etc) -- and is where I think all the winning and losing will happen in the short term. None of the big providers (disney/netflix/amazon etc) will be willing to offload premium content -- but it'll be interesting to see if an aggregator can make headway in the premium content space (unlikely).

I work in the OTT space.

The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  10. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, it's specific to the FA Cup --- or at least the Arsenalized version. The original is actually American. Agreed, they need to bring back Curtis.

Shen-O and NorthBank repped this.
  11. maskito

maskito Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I agree with virtually all of your post, the comment about CBS stuck out since you seem to express surprise about them. They're owned by Viacom, who is massive. It's likely only a matter of time before they launch their subscription service as well. Here's a pasted list of their major subsidiaries sourced from Wikipedia.

Subsidiaries: Paramount Pictures · Nickelodeon · King World Productions · DreamWorks Studios · Paramount Home Media Distribution · VH1 · Nickelodeon Animation Studio · BET · Comedy Central · Channel 5 · Bellator MMA · Klasky Csupo · Harmonix · CMT · Spike

danielh repped this.
  12. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I stick by my prediction

Scale matters and content is expensive

Some of these major license holders will fail with their streaming services and be forced onto other platforms

danielh and maskito repped this.
  13. maskito

maskito Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll give this a bump since this the last place we discussed this. If the mods think this should be moved, please feel free to do so.

NBC announced their new PEACOCK streaming service today. There's this interesting tidbit.

I'd still like more details, but with each team playing roughly 76 hours a season, that hopefully means there's a good chance of nearly every Arsenal game being available on the service.

14. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that’s a good indication that signing up for Peacock essentially includes NBC Sports Gold.

15. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    How would that be different than nbc gold. They air all the games that aren’t on nbc and nbcsn, and provide replays of all the games including those on nbc and nbcsn. I assume the only difference will be that they will be on a subscriber channel on tv and that the costs will be about the same.

16. maskito

maskito Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those are some details I can't quite tell. Peacock will have three tiers, but from what I can tell, the content is the same with the difference around advertisements.
    Free: around 5 minutes of ads per hour
    $5/mo: limited ads from preferred vendors at the beginning of shows
    $10/mo: completely ad-free programming

If NBC Sports Gold is in the free service, then that's great news.

17. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we started getting Gold for free, that would not only be great, it would be damn near unbelievable.

I'd say we'll have done well if all the same PL content is bundled into the $5/mo tier w/ intro advertisements. That's basically what we're paying now for just Gold.

18. maskito

maskito Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm still not sure what I shared is correct. I'm seeing conflicting reports of what the tiers include. I do agree that if the $5/mo ad-supported version gets all the content, including NBC Sports Gold, that's not a bad deal at all.

19. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYI, here's an NBC-related thread, where the discussion of Peacock, Gold & PLP is just getting going...
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/nbc-sports-networks-thread.2023455/

maskito repped this.
  20. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    CBS All Access is already out there.

21. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Being "massive" does not mean you will succeed at streaming.

Sony is also massive and never established a music download/streaming service to rival itunes/spotify

the issue is winner take all dynamics

Eventually you need to monetise your content.

So either you have to sell it on your own service or license it.

But if you service lacks subscribers, game over.

22. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sony made a better TV streaming service than everyone else. PS Vue is awesome and has almost all sports in 60 fps. But they had such a small subscriber base, mainly because they themselves didn't focus and advertise it like their gaming side, that they killed off the service. It ends this month.