Arsenal v Inter [R] Match Day 1

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by DallasGooner, Sep 17, 2003.

1. jwaldman11

jwaldman11 New Member

Jun 14, 2002
    The OC
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Moscow v. Kiev

For the record, one of the moderators has said before that [R] applies to any and every game on that day. Also, it does say Match Day 1 after the [R], so that should have been enough of a warning that you should stay away if you don't want to find out other scores.

2. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    kanu to relive a moment (at stamford bridge) with a late hat trick??? anything can happen lads!!!

3. ljunberg19

ljunberg19 New Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Annapolis
    Well sorry to you guys for posting it, there's been more conversation about the [R] than the game, but that's probably a good thing.

I'm off to do some hurricane prep.

4. 442

442 Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Secret ArseAm HQ
    I would be shocked, shocked!, if we got a goal in this game. Inter are coached by Hector (You may remember me from such earlier CL defeats as Valencia) Cuper. Very well coached, disciplined defenders. Plus, we've collectively wet our pants in the first half. Bring on the subs!

5. TheFallen29

TheFallen29 New Member

Nov 25, 2001
    New York City
    62 mins: Wenger has had enough and makes tow changes. Pires and Gilberto are replaced by Kanu and Bergkamp.

6. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Good luck and hope there is no damage in your area and everyone elses for that matter.

Arsenal Live text summed it up real well. Inter is just doing better with their chances.

7. 442

442 Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Secret ArseAm HQ
    Why wait 20 minutes to bring on the subs?

Pray for a draw in the Moscow-Kiev match. Then we are just a point out of second.

8. MNGooner

MNGooner New Member

Jan 27, 2003
    Minnesota
    2 middies out, 2 strikers playing in the hole. Let's hope they can rain in some shots.

9. cj herrera

cj herrera New Member

May 7, 1999
    Oakland, damn straig
    Mr. Caution, meet Mr. Wind.

[and duly noted about the R stuff. my misunderstanding].

10. SLO-Gunner

SLO-Gunner New Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Baltimore
    at this point the game (0-0) between the former Soviets is the one to keep an eye on just as much as ours as 442 states.

11. DallasGooner

DallasGooner Member

Apr 16, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Moscow v. Kiev

Could you please provide a link to TOS that mentions that?

12. TheFallen29

TheFallen29 New Member

Nov 25, 2001
    New York City
    74 minutes, still 0-3. NOW I'll admit it's over.

Lehmann's saved a few now, at least.

13. SLO-Gunner

SLO-Gunner New Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Baltimore
    we got screwed again, dynamo just scored against moscow.

14. TheFallen29

TheFallen29 New Member

Nov 25, 2001
    New York City
    84th minute, and Arsenal's blown a few chances to get on the board. Kanu had a wide-open side-volley which went right into Toldo's hands. Between that and the penalty, it should be 2-3.

Meanwhile, Roy Maakay equalized for FC Prawn Sandwiches, German Division. That's 1-1 in the 85th.

15. TheFallen29

TheFallen29 New Member

Nov 25, 2001
    New York City
    Maakay again for the Germans. 2-1 Munich, as this day just gets worse and worse.

16. TheFallen29

TheFallen29 New Member

Nov 25, 2001
    New York City
    Mohammed Kallon hits the post for Inter. This maybe coulda been 6-0 if they wanted to go all-out.

Hopefully we'll take out our anger on Money U.

17. MNGooner

MNGooner New Member

Jan 27, 2003
    Minnesota
    2-nil to Dynamo Kiev

18. Tony Adams forever

Tony Adams forever New Member

Sep 23, 2002
    We've won 1 of last 10 matches..

in Champions League play. I know the financial limits with which AFC has struggled in this close season, and which limited our ability to strengthen the back 4, but boy that bill came due today.

19. 442

442 Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Secret ArseAm HQ
    Here's what I wrote YESTERDAY about the game on www.arsenalamerica.com . Eerily prescient, no?

Gang, I’ve got a bad feeling about this one.

Indeed, Arsenal have gotten off to an impressive start. I’ll take four wins and a draw out of five played every day of the week and twice on Sunday. But we really haven’t gone up against a quality opponent yet, certainly not someone of Inter’s quality. I’m thankful that Vieiri and Recoba won’t be playing, but I think it foolish for us to take too much from that. Kallon and Martins are very dangerous. We all revel in the torment that Henry’s speed imposes on our opponents, well, we may be in for a taste of our own medicine.

I think this game will be a true test for the Kolo Toure experiment. He’s going to face a team of far more sophistication than he has seen previously. Lauren and Cole may need to stay back more than they like in order to help counter not only the two up front, but Inter new boys Kily Gonzalez and Andy van de Meyde. Emre and Zanetti are certainly able to neutralize our midfield as well.

Jens Lehmann will also be a man in the spotlight. When he was brought in I was impressed by his European pedigree, having won a UEFA Cup trophy about five years ago. Now is the time to show us the goods, which he has done in the league so far. This game will be decided by our defense. If they can absorb the pressure and hold Inter to a goal or less I like our chances.

ArseAm Predicts: The Arsenal get a European education and Kolo Toure is sent off after bringing down a speedy Inter attacker in the box. The boys are game, but can’t overcome the disadvantage. Arsenal 1 – 2 Inter

20. Its only Ray Parlour

Aug 3, 2003
    London
    That was one of the most gauling matches i've experienced in a while. Well played Inter, beaten by the better team on the night. But that was terrible. Big improvements needed by the defence especially. Pires needs a slap.

21. cj herrera

cj herrera New Member

May 7, 1999
    Oakland, damn straig
    I'm a neutral and this isn't a troll:

But building on the above comment on Pires -- has he ever shown his pre-injury form since coming back?

I mean, he was on fire before he was hurt and won the PFA Player of the Year, yes? I've seen a few matches of his since then and he's certainly still quality, but I've yet to see the greatness come back.

What's the consensus?

22. dwinkler

dwinkler New Member

Aug 11, 2000
    Denver, CO
    We know a troll when we see one, and this clearly isn't one. It's a damn good question.

I think that, despite the 16 goals last season, that he wasn't nearly as effective last season as the one before. The Southampton hat trick was very deceiving (although one of the goals was brilliant), and his contributions just didn't have the impact that they did the season before. (Same with Freddie, by the way.)

Anyway, in answer to your question, I don't think he's nearly as good now as he was then, and I don't know if he ever will be. You don't see too many 30 year olds bouncing back from injury to be better than before.

23. DallasGooner

DallasGooner Member

Apr 16, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Its all Ricks fault!!!! :p

24. naggi

naggi Member

Feb 15, 2002
    san francisco
    Pires had bad games today and on Saturday. He was just not willing to track back to cover the defense.

For me, one big difference between his play now and before the injury is that he does not beat players in one on one situations. He did that amazingly well before his injury.

Anyway, I am not too down about the loss today and hope the players aren't either. Every team in the CL had suffered a heavy defeat from time to time. There are still 15 points to be had in the group, and we need to get a result at OT this weekend.

25. wu-tang beez

wu-tang beez New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Irving, TX
    Brutal!

Originally posted by its_only_ray_parlour
    That was one of the most gauling matches i've experienced in a while.

[​IMG]

on 2nd thought, perhaps i'm glad ESPN declined 2 show it. Ugh!