Arsenal v. Everton, Sunday February 23 2020, 1630 GMT

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by mebeSajid, Feb 21, 2020.

1. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OMG, they've had 2 super dangerous chances right in front of our goal. We need to get the ball off them and get in their half. And SCORE a 4th goal!!

2. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arteta makes his final sub: Guen for Ozil. (who gets another great round of applause) Matteo out of the dog house finally. COME ON!!!!

3. Deep Wilcox

Deep Wilcox BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 5, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Leno comes up big again. Asking too much of him.

NorthBank repped this.
  4. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ugh! We press them high and they cough it up. Eddie has a GREAT shot, but hits the bar. Ugh.

5. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    Guendouzi and his fresh legs doing work

6. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WHOA! Leno with a hugely risky block/clearance on the 25 yard line. Once again he's probably our MOTM.

Edit: BUT he seems to have hurt a toe or something. He's gonna soldier on. But pray for him, pray for us.

7. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    Gave me a heart attack

8. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OMG there's another Everton chance from 6yds. DCL heads it 1yd wide. 2 mins of stoppage to go!!!

9. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    PHEW! 3pts it is. But just barely! We were taking constant incoming fire in the last 10-15 mins.

Not as convincing as last week but it's 3 wins on the trot. Maybe just maybe this will be a defining turning point.

CarlosKaiser repped this.
  10. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Huge win! Some moments of really great effort, work rate much better than under Emery, and both fans and players celebrating the rewards.

PEA and Leno share MOTM.

NorthBank repped this.
  11. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Glad this one panned out as I had to listen via XM. Made it back for last 10 minutes to nervously hope the lads didn't choke.

Wasn't sure about subbing in Guendo for Ozil only to see the Frenchman essentially play like a central striker, but he was pretty relentless in pressuring Everton's defenders and led the charge that resulted in Nketiah hitting the crossbar.

With Nketiah, Saka, Martinelli, and AMN I'm excited about the prospects for the team's future. Now let's hope Arsenal do enough this season to at least be capable of retaining PEA and hopefully get some European play (and $) next season.

Hell, just win the Europa League!

12. Walia Ibex

Walia Ibex Red Card

Arsenal
    Ethiopia
    Oct 2, 2019
    A nervy one at the end but that wouldn't be Arsenal if they didn't try to gove their fans a heart attack. Eddie and Aubameyang played incredibly well up top. Without PEA where would we be, hope Auba wins the golden boot. Saka is just amazingly good at such a young age. Turned the game around.. everybody did well imo expect Luiz got caught out by DLC on several occasions. Everton really is an enigma they have some really talented players but overall they are just meh average they are like the England NT of the EPL..

13. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium

GunnerJacket, Walia Ibex and DutchCane repped this.
  14. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arteta said point blank in his post-match tunnel interview that Auba is our most important player. Duh... but it's not every day a coach/manager will admit that.

To retain him, I'd say that we'd have to qualify for UCL, which is a pretty big ask. I suspect he might not be content with another year of UEL, and definitely not if we miss out on Europe altogether.

He's pretty hot and has led the EPL golden boot for a few years. His attitude is not disruptive as were the rumors coming out of Dortmund. Bigger clubs are going to want him. La Liga?

Arteta knows all this, so if he likes him enough, maybe that'll be a little extra motivation for the boss to pull this rabbit outta the hat. :)

15. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I suspect we will cash in on him while his value is pretty high given he turns 31 this year

The main issue is that Laca is poor so we need to offload him as well - thanks Wenger!

DutchCane, mebeSajid and Super Llama repped this.
  16. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    How many times has it been proven. Pay them enough they forget about Europe. That is all that matters not that I blame footballers one bit for it.

17. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. Need to offload Laca. If you can retain PEA, do it. Otherwise cash out and find another vet to lead the line and let Nketiah & Martinelli fight it out for primary backup.

18. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I feel like earlier this year and going back to the last few Wenger years this one would’ve ended as a draw at best. Arteta really has them fighting!

GunnerJacket repped this.
  19. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ‘Poor’ is a pretty strong term.
    I love the guy, but he is going to be useless at some point in a nearer future than any of us want. If we are trying to win the league next year, sure. If not...have to get something in return for him.

yossarian, mebeSajid and Super Llama repped this.
  20. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Ceballos is the key player to our goal output. If he's in the lineup and playing well, we basically can't be pressed.

There's all the same options there were when he wasn't playing, plus the possibility that Ceballos can carry the ball forward 10-20 yards, maybe under pressure or maybe not. That happens a few times our passing lanes look a lot wider, we can routinely get behind the pressing defenders and in general create possession in the opponents' half. And then our finishers will probably do a pretty good job of converting whatever chances they get.

This game felt to me like some of the better post-Invincibles Wenger teams in decent form. We always looked that we could create threats for Everton if we needed to. It was almost a disappointment that we only scored three goals.

Leno was great again. Bellerin looked disappointing to me. I fear we're going to have to look for an upgrade at his position unless he recovers some of his pre-injury pace back.

Mustafi looked good again. He's a weird one. I feel like of all the problem children, he could actually still have a future at Arsenal. His baseline standard of play is actually pretty good, he just makes so many mistakes. But if those can be reduced or eliminated through confidence and good coaching, he actually can play a little. On the other hand, I suspect that Ozil, Xhaka, Chambers and maybe a couple others aren't good enough on their best day to play with the fluidity we're looking to show.

21. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    There may be reasons that ultimately Ozil doesn’t fit the way Arteta wants to play, but a lack of fluidity in his game is not one of them. With respect to Xhaka, Arteta appears to like him, a lot. Under Arteta there were games when I thought he was the obvious choice of the midfielder to be substituted, but instead Ceballos or Guendouzi or Torreira came off.

22. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Ozil's a weird one. He _can_ run, I've seen him do it. He just doesn't. So in that sense I don't think it's that much better than if he couldn't. At least now he is contributing decently well enough, and I don't think anyone else will pay his wages, so we'll just have to ride this out for one more year.

23. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Wow - this meme just won't die.

DutchCane, daedalus, Tonerl and 2 others repped this.
  24. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Arteta on Ozil

No surprise that when Arsenal have better spacing and play between the lines, he starts to look much better

DutchCane repped this.
  25. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #75 NorthBank, Feb 24, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
    IOW a player who can be quite brilliant, but also needy and not particularly versatile.

That said I like a WHOLE LOT MORE what I've been seeing in recent weeks from him, while Arteta has tried to work things out.