Arsenal v Bolton [R] Pre/Dur/Post Match

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by goonsquad, Jan 5, 2009.

1. goonsquad

goonsquad Member

Apr 1, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saturday, January 10th, 2009
    Kickoff: 10am ET, 3pm GMT.
    TV: Setanta USA LIVE @ 9:30am ET

Well I started the last match thread and that worked out alright, so I figured what the hell I'll keep it going. According to Le Boss, we're slowly building confidence and momentum. Let us destroy Bolton at the Grove and keep that going. Will the weekend see us sign someone new? Only time will tell...

COME ON ARSENAL!

2. kanonier

kanonier Member+

Nov 7, 2005
    Bloomington, Ind.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    You keep going until you lose. :)

I'm curious to see if Denilson or Song can get fit for this game.

3. TheArgonaut

TheArgonaut Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'm curious as to whether, if fit, they are picked as starters. Don't get me wrong, I think both have done well enough this year (especially Denilson) but Diaby looks a lot better as a CM than I thought he would and Ramsey (other than the errant pass or two) has looked better than I thought he would at this stage of the season.

One thing I was struck by while watching the Plymouth game today was that Ramsey and Diaby actually struck up a fairly fluid partnership in the first half. It surprised me how many times that if Diaby went forward Ramsey held back and vice versa, then if the opportunity was right they both went forward.

Bolton tend to play a very rigid game and this year we've had trouble breaking down teams that play a rigid, defensive game then hit us on the break. Ramsey and Diaby are both more direct than Denilson and Song and I wonder if that bit of directness might be useful against Bolton.

While I doubt both will start...I think both showed what they can offer in the middle and at least one of them stands a good chance of getting a run out as a starting CM.

If not perhaps a 4-3-3 like the second half against plymouth...maybe...

Bendtner----Adebayor-----RvP
    --------Diaby------Nasri------
    -------------Song------------(or Denilson)
    Clichy--Djourou--Gallas--Sagna

That would allow Nasri to operate more freely and keep Diaby in to get some of the direct running into the box that he can offer (which might help if Bolton lines up 10 men behind the ball and stifles the passing game at the top of the box).

4. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    they are pathetic...
    3 points in the bag.

5. KevTheGooner

KevTheGooner Help that poor man!

Dec 10, 1999
    THOF
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Andorra
    I like the 4-3-3 as a way to really stretch those packed defenses out wide, but Bendtner and VanPersie are not good wide players. Until Rosicky and Theo come back, that's a tough one to pull of with our squad.

We'll play the standard 4-4-2 and win 2-1. :)

6. Papa Burgundy

Papa Burgundy Member

Jan 27, 2008
    Dirty Jerz
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    i dont think ramsey is quite ready to be playing cm regularly in the league. i'd like to see denilson and diaby in the middle, with nasri and eboue out wide.

adebayor will definitely start up top, and rvp should as well considering the form he has been in.

if we can't get a hold on the game and are struggling to create, i'd like to see the 4-3-3, wtih nasri behind the strikers, but i would want vela on the wing instead of bendtner. everytime vela comes on, he always looks dangerous, and seems to easily beat defenders off the dribble. i'd like to see him play more on the right where he can cut in (a la robben), he doesnt seem to keen on getting to the by-line and swinging in a good cross.

7. Hyuuga Neji

Hyuuga Neji Member

Nov 20, 2007
    The Bay Area
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In future reference, if we drop points, this post was a jinx.:cool:

8. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    My Prediction: 2-nil to The Arsenal!

9. TxTechGooner

Feb 24, 2003
    oh ye of little faith. :p

10. TheImposter

TheImposter Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Centerville, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh he who has paid attention to our season so far. :p We've dropped points to plenty of "pathetic" teams this year.

11. TxTechGooner

Feb 24, 2003
    things will be different in '09.

12. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yeah, let's inject a little positive energy into the forum. I swear, we are gonna have to start a suicide watch for some of you.

13. luvgunners

luvgunners Member

Dec 22, 2008
    Cornelius, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I would prefer 2-0 or 3-1 so I don't to get a heart attack while watching the game :p. One goal different is too little.
    BTW, I see the team plays with more confidence now so things will be different in '09. We are gaining our strenght back.

14. coltcannon

coltcannon Member

Jun 13, 2006
    P.R.M.
    We wont win shit without white sleeves man.

;)

15. gunner7

gunner7 Member+

Jul 27, 2008
    Sunshine California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember last year earlier this season, we beat them after going 1-0 down. I think the scoreline was 1-3 to us. We played beautifully in that match, hopefully we are able to regain that "Arsenal Way" of playing football.

16. Papa Burgundy

Papa Burgundy Member

Jan 27, 2008
    Dirty Jerz
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    indeed. after we went down 1-0, i was thinking "here we go again..." but those next 20 minutes we played some of our best football this season, and i believe we scored twice within 5 minutes or so. eboue finishing off some beautiful play for one of them.

it's a shame that we haven't been able to play that "arsenal way" of football consistently this season. we seem to have brief spells of 10-20 minutes in a few games and thats about it. but, i do agree with wenger, that we have been improving. if this group can just get it together, and get everyone healthy, we can easily click and go on a tear of consecutive wins. this part of our schedule is relatively easy, but i have said that before this season and it hasnt worked out.

it starts at bolton, lets get a comfortable 3 points!

17. thedude83

thedude83 Member

Jan 29, 2007
    Kansas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'd like to see

-----Adebayor---Van Persie

Nasri--Denilson-Diaby--Eboue

Clichy-Djourou-Gallas-Sagna

----------Almunia

However, I have a feeling our midfield will be Diaby-Denilson-Song-Nasri

18. cashflow

cashflow Member

May 31, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Every game is huge now, we can not afford to drop any points, these games will be more pressure because we are expected to win.

My team for the game is same as dudes above but id rather have Diaby left & Song in the middle. I feel he gives us defensive balance for the team.

Maybe Arshavin can play left, lol.

19. GunneRy

GunneRy Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Chicago
    Personally, I will be more than a little upset if Nasri is not (edit) played centrally. He has shown in the last few games that he distributes the ball very well and seems to love running directly at the defense and causing havoc.

Unfortunately, I'm sure Arsene would never risk stunting the growth of Diaby or Denilson (god forbid Arsene upset any player), so if those two are healthy, I expect Nasri to be back out on the wing.

2-1 to the Arsenal.

20. TheArgonaut

TheArgonaut Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    He actually played pretty well on the left last weekend and given our options right now seem to be Nasri or Diaby on the left (I doubt we'll go 4-3-3, so the option of the formation we ended the game with last week is probably gone...although I think it would be interesting to try), I'd rather have Nasri on the left. He's at least shown signs of adapting to that where as Diaby just looks worse and worse every time he plays on the left

21. wanye_stirrear

wanye_stirrear Member+

Sep 19, 2002
    Maryland
    Has anyone heard whether Denilson is back from his back injury? I assume that it was not serious, but sometimes they can be tricky. He has been struggling with it all season long.

Also, correct me if I am wrong, but Nasri only has played CM once for us, and it was against a Championship team. It seems like all of this buzz about how great he is as a CM is a little premature.

22. GetEmGooners

GetEmGooners New Member

Mar 31, 2008
    B-MORE/JMU
    and so the comeback is on......here's to a great '09

23. goonsquad

goonsquad Member

Apr 1, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why the hell not, you know? If we continue gaining confidence, plus the addition of one or two players this month, I figure we can put a good run together and at least put some pressure on 'Pool, Man U and Chelsea. They are all going to drop more points, let's fight until the end and see what happens!

24. CarlitosWay

CarlitosWay New Member

Sep 19, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Ade has dipped in form, Flamini and Hleb hit the exit button, and Rosicky and Fabregas are injured.

People complain about Wenger, but he has done an amazing job considering the roster he is working with.

25. 49unbeaten

49unbeaten Member

Jan 3, 2005
    upstate ny
    he has done a good job considering what is at his disposal...but a big part of his job is rebuiling/replacing those who leave or dont produce the way they used to....and you cant say hes done an amazing job at that