Arsenal training academy in US - bad for MLS homegrown intiative?

Discussion in 'MLS: Youth & Development' started by tomreel555, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They tried, but Luis Gil and his family didn't want to move.

2. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Once you get a kid into a country legally, it isn't hard to get them a passport...

Gil wasn't an immigration issue, but rather Gil rejecting the offer from Arsenal.

Good point, but my overall point in the post is that when you're dealing with a minor, it isn't that hard to get the kid into the country legally and then, subsequently, getting them residency in the country.

3. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uhh....that's not true. How long does it take to get UK citizenship? Unless there's a passport vending machine somewhere to which only the Big Four have access, it's not that easy.

4. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a hell of a lot easier and quicker than getting a US citizenship. European teams can also "fast track" citizenship for players they think are worth it, which isn't something you can do in the US.

5. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's easier, but even a few years is an eternity for a young soccer player. It's also a lot of bureaucracy and paperwork; how many young American players merit that kind of commitment from a club like Arsenal?

The point remains that very few players will be able to move to Arsenal due barriers of entry on the field and off. These "initiatives" and the like are pure money-grabs until proven otherwise.

6. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that the likelihood of the academy paying dividends as far as player recruitment for Arsenal goes is very low, just saying it isn't a lost cause. I would also agree that it's more than likely a money grab than anything.

7. theENFORCER

theENFORCER Member

Apr 10, 2010
    NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SMH at all of you who don't want this because Arsenal would "take away our talent"... What talent? All we produce is average and mediocre players. We should hope Arsenal comes and finds the Steve Nash of soccer.

8. Tyneside4life

Tyneside4life Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would we want Arsenal to find a short, talented Canadian?

9. Virginian

Virginian Member

Sep 23, 1999
    Denver, Co
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. youth=glory

youth=glory Member

Sep 2, 2010
    This basically means nothing...how many American players are good enough for Arsenals academy anyways let lone limiting it to a small area in which they are gonna be set up at.

I think the bigger question from all this is, does Kronke know the Rapids have an academy? And if so why wouldn't he try to combine the academy, wherever it is, that way the player can reap double the benefits as well as him.

11. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How can this NOT be viewed as a good thing? We've got 300,000.000 people!

12. MHaifa1913

MHaifa1913 Moderator
    Staff Member

Metro
    United States
    Dec 21, 1998
    New York, NY, USA
    Club:
    Maccabi Haifa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who cares? Unless they find so many kids here with EU passports, all they will end up doing is training kids who will leave them for college and the SuperDraft.

13. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean the one where the red teams get all the best players and the rest of the Texans teams pay extra for all the scholarships on the red teams? In this setup does the Arsenal team get the players and the Rapids pay the dough?

14. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Imagine Bayern Munich opening up an academy in England. How do you think Prem fans would perceive that??? It's very, very easy to see how this COULD be a bad thing.

But with the rules as they are, it's just a "weird" thing. If it was a German club, yeah, that would probably suck, because Germany is an "open" league with no restrictions on players, so a well-run Bayern Munich academy in, say, the NYC area would hoover up alot of talent. Ajax opening up an academy in SoCal would kinda suck.

This? Just weird.

15. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're gonna have to show your work there, chief. Baseball teams do it because they can sign the kids without restrictions. That obviously does NOT apply here.
    Source/link?
    Source/link?

16. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eat your heart out!

17. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't believe how many poor, defenseless electrons died in discussing the merits of Arsenal's plan to make a few bucks off of youth soccer camps, to sell a few shirts, and to expand the brand.

It's almost as if some of you are naive enough to believe that there's more to this than that.

18. BacteriaEP

BacteriaEP New Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Portland
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't understand the people who are okay or want this to happen. Regardless of the citizenship issues at hand, do you really want your local club academy to have the competition? Look at it this way: Arsenal has their academy in... I don't know, let's say Arizona. A young promising player in LA is about to join the Galaxy's academy. Arsenal's academy swoops in and picks him up from under LA because they're Arsenal. What soccer-knowing kid wouldn't go there instead?

Now, normally, a kid graduating from LA's academy would go into the Galaxy's roster as they get first right of refusal, if the kid's any good. However, if that kid graduates from Arsenal's academy then he can go to any team he wants.

Basically, it just seems to throw a wrench into our current system altogether.

And to those of you saying: "there's 300,000,000 of us!" No, there isn't. There's an extremely tiny fraction of those 300,000,000 who actually want to make an honest attempt at professional soccer. We are not an "untapped" market. Were as tapped as the sport's popularity will allow at this time.

I'm not going to make this out to be a huge issue, but I wouldn't welcome it either... if Arsenal's true intention is to sign and train youth players and not just expand their brand, as others have already noted.

19. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not pissed that Inter signed a training agreement with a local USDA team, why should I care if Arsenal does the same thing, or starts their own USDA club in the area. If my club can't get the best talent in the area, then I'm going to be pissed at my club and its POS academy system, not Arsenal. More power to Arsenal, IMHO. If it raises the game of MLS's academy systems, I welcome the competition.

20. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nash is 6'3".

21. JBOBO

JBOBO New Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's bad for MLS but not for US soccer. What do you guys value more?

22. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You hit it on the head.

For me, MLS.

23. alky13

alky13 Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Manchester/NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This type of thing has been done to to death in the states. Teams like Crystal Palace, Ajax and such. One thing MLS must stress to these players who may opt to enter such academy is that the chances of them playing first team football before their 20th birthday are relatively slim. As well as their chances to play in England before their 22nd. Unless Arsenal can work around Work Permit issues for academy players then they have accomplished nothing.

For people who are saying this is simply to increase Arsenal's brand then I'm pretty sure you're lowering the status of a world renowned club. Selling shirts and making money off of camps? This is the United States, even if they sell a few shirts they wont be making the kind of money that most teams have losing on academies in America for years.

This is a probably the brainchild of Kroenke, but also Arsene himself. Wenger has often spoke highly of America's abilities to produce athletes and sang praise of Landon Donovan for the weeks after he shredded Traore to pieces.

Arsenal want to see what they can develop in America. I can't see it hurting MLS unless Arsenal can manage to convince top talent that waiting until their early 20's to even have a shot on the team is a good thing. I also can't see how most people would deny the right of a business wanting to develop in professional talent.

A lot of people fail to recognize just how many "big 4" youth products end up being the rank and file players of the EPL. Manchester United are a great example of how a big clubs development of players often leads to improving the overall standard of the league.

24. smurgai

smurgai Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Raleigh
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Competition is good in general. If we are worried about kids preferring Arsenal Academy over MLS Academies, we need to improve our academies, not keep good development systems out. .

I think having other academies will help us improve. I am sure the presence of Audis and Volvos plays a role in pushing Ford and GM to improve their product.

Usually, Competition will give you better product on the field than protectionism.

25. wyomango

wyomango Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Isn't Steve Nash the Steve Nash of soccer?