Arsenal training academy in US - bad for MLS homegrown intiative?

Discussion in 'MLS: Youth & Development' started by tomreel555, Dec 15, 2010.

1. tomreel555

tomreel555 New Member

Aug 23, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/217490/American-dream-for-Gunners

While this might be good for general development of players in the U.S I assume this means that the best players will all end up with Arsenal's first team or transferred to a club where Arsenal can make the profit from it. Unless the Rapids would somehow get these players as homegrown qualified because Kroenke owns both clubs?

2. Shiver_Me

Shiver_Me Member

Aug 2, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It certainly makes the partnership with the Rapids pretty meaningless. Why not just combine the two operations?

3. Indiscretion

Indiscretion Member

Aug 6, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    as if Kroenke wasnt a big enough douche

"hey my Rapids just won MLS Cup so to reward them im going to open up an academy for Arsenal"

4. Barbieri

Barbieri Member+

Jul 8, 2004
    Decatur, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully they'll put it in Denver as well

5. radmonkey

radmonkey Member

Oct 27, 2007
    In a country of 300 million and 22 million registered player. This isn't a problem. American players going to the Arsenal 1st team.....is not a problem. the sky is not falling.

Besides, we're already signing a few arsenal rejects...ryan smith and that fullback portland just signed. So a few more players who aren't good enough for the EPL but plenty good for MLS, is a good thing imo.

6. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can someone explain why they think this is a bad thing?

7. lfcli30

lfcli30 Member

Jun 21, 2005
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    F*ck you Kroenke.

Why, exactly are English clubs allowed to open an academy here?

8. radmonkey

radmonkey Member

Oct 27, 2007
    I think MLS should open academies in England. Chicago Fire North Umberland has a nice ring to it.

9. Shiver_Me

Shiver_Me Member

Aug 2, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the idea is that it would sap all the homegrown talent and bypass MLS. But the market is so completely untapped that I don't think it's a problem. Reading through the article, I'm not sure they are doing it outside of the Rapids like I had originally assumed.

10. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Not good or bad. More likely meaningless, just like all the other acadamy attempts in the past.

The routine is simple. Make statements about looking for talent/growing game here.

Then sell a lot of shirts and take a lot of money for camps while expanding the Euro clubs brand name. It's been done to death.

11. dredgfan

dredgfan Member+

MLS
    Nov 5, 2004
    Denver or NOLA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This ^

Unless there is a youth squad called Arsenal Rapids, or Colorado Arsenal. Maybe a setup like the Texans White and Red. If it increases the partnership between his teams I can't see it being anything but positive. Anything else though, probably means nothing but marketing and rich parents dumping money.

12. MARCH_

MARCH_ Member

Aug 16, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mexican clubs have been doing this for a while now.
    This can only help USMNT, maybe MLS academies in competitive matched.
    Arsenal already has an academy in Altaloma, CA that plays development league.
    Gerson Mayen came from that academy before coming to Chivas USA U18s.

13. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no clue why anyone is fretting over this. It's like they've completely forgotten about the EPL's national team requirement for non-EU players.

Yeah, there's quite a few immigrant kids here in the US that would be able to get around that barrier. But, seriously, exactly how many players in the next ten years will this academy develop that would go to Arsenal before ending up in MLS? One? Two?

14. Qamle

Qamle Member

May 2, 2004
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I fail to see how competition in youth development in the United States is a bad thing...

15. tomreel555

tomreel555 New Member

Aug 23, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Well, it is a big deal. There is a reason there are boundaries in MLS itself. LA, for example, can't start an academy in Colorado. You are biting into somebody else's "territory"

If an Arsenal academy every picked up and a kid was a prospect that started in an MLS academy, say with Kansas City. Then he got noticed by the U.S Arsenal academy and they offered him to join them - would he turn down that opportunity.

So essentially they will be leeching talent from all over the country. Or have the potential ability to anyway.

16. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If a kid doesn't have an EU passport, he can't play for Arsenal. It's that simple.

Maybe Arsenal will dig one kid who is good enough for Arsenal and eligible for a work permit. Maybe.

It's about expanding the brand and joining in on money-making enterprise of US youth soccer. It's almost entirely irrelevant to MLS youth development.

18. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the kid is good, all they have to do is give one of the kid's parents a job somewhere in their organization and move them to England. It's not that hard to get around that England's immigration rules when you're dealing with a minor.

19. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Right now, MLS youth development academies exist to transfer players abroad to bigger leagues anyway. That's where the return on investment is.

The fact that they will also produce some career MLS players who are mildly better than what the youth system produced before, and will have a mild impact on the win loss records of the more successful MLS clubs in terms of their youth development, is just a nice byproduct.

So even if you believe that Kroenke is serious and can pull it off, not much changes, except that it would probably be more resources put into the program (meaning its outcome is probably good).

20. Flex Buffchest

Jan 25, 2010
    Orange County, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, is that all you have to do?

21. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, all I'm going to say is that there do seem to be a lot of S. Americans and Africans appearing in European youth academies.;)

22. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    The same reason every baseball team has academies in the Dominican Republic, Venezuela, etc.

Plus, I don't see any harm an Arsenal academy could possibly have in the states. We're afraid Arsenal might train and develop some top notch American kids.........and then steal them to play for Arsenal? THE HORROR! OH THE HUMANITY!!

23. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, that's what you have to do to transfer before the age of 18.

If you want the professional contract, you need the EU passport. That's why any initiative by any English club is always going to be small potatoes.

24. snowfx2

snowfx2 New Member

Jul 28, 2001
    so cal
    Then why didn't they do this with Luis Gil's family? A player they wanted to sign.

25. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except for the part (AIUI) where there's a FIFA rule specifically preventing that...