Arsenal target Eto'o

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by MNGooner, Nov 7, 2003.

1. MNGooner

MNGooner New Member

Jan 27, 2003
    Minnesota
    from www.tribalfootball.com

Arsenal need Champions League progress to fund Eto'o deal
    tribalfootball.com - November 7, 2003

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger is again being linked with Real Mallorca striker Sammy Eto'o.
    The Cameroon international is Wenger's No1 attacking target, but any deal for January depends on the Gunners reaching the knockout phase of the Champions League.

Eto'o admitted last month that his time at Mallorca was coming to an end, but has committed himself to the club until June.

So what do you all think? Can he fill DB10's boots and pair up well Titi? Can we even get him? Any speculation on the transfer price? Or can he go on a Bosman come summer?

2. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    he's a speedier kanu IMO... good player, but not someone to bust the coffers for...

3. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    I think Eto would really shine at a club like Arsenal. Part of his problem at Mallaroca is that he doesn't have enough talent around him.

4. 442

442 Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Secret ArseAm HQ
    Yes, let's grab Eto'o so that in early 2004 we can lose another starter to the only international tournament that takes place "in season," the African Cup of Nations.

Lauren, Kanu and Kolo Toure will all be gone for a month. That really humps us.

I'm a big fan of African players, but we have to put something in their contract that says they will not go. I don't need half of my starting defense getting kicked in the shins by some semi-pro from Malawi on a questionable pitch in a stadium with inadequate security, only to have him be sent on some death march by a nut-job dictator, or locked in prison for a week when they don't win the trophy.

5. MNGooner

MNGooner New Member

Jan 27, 2003
    Minnesota
    IIRC, Lauren has quit the Cameroon NT, and we aren't really going to miss Kanu that much, are we?
    The only real problem is Toure, and frankly, I would not go to Cote D'Ivoire right now given the current political situation, and I don't think he should either.

6. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    How about PIOUS IKEDIA? that kid is probably a novelty act but i have yet to see someone take the ball from him and his speed is world class.. he is languishing on loan from ajax at the mo i think.... damn fine prospect i thought... nigerian international~

7. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    Let's not bad-mouth the semi-pro from Malawi until we have all the facts. Is he on sp**s first team or still in thier youth program?

8. AUSGunner

AUSGunner New Member

Oct 18, 2003
    Adelaide, Australia
    Gold. Absolute gold.

How much would Eto'o cost, exactly?

9. ThrashBoy

ThrashBoy New Member

Aug 28, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    I really like Eto'o alot. He's got lots of experience and would fit in nicely.

However, I'm still yearning for the possibility of Djibril Cisse playing next to Titi. In my mind, he will be a force to be reckoned with for years to come once he moves into a tougher league.

He's already tearing up the French League, and that league is no pushover. I'd love to see what he could do in the EPL or in La Liga.

It's pretty much a foregone conclusion that he's going to leave Auxerre at the end of this season. Liverpool has been the big rumor with him, but I wish the Gunners would consider him.

edit: And he's not African, so ya'll don't have to worry about that.

10. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    carlos tevez, fernando cavenaghi, and luis fabiano. all would be excellent for any club, i dont know about them getting a WP in england tho.
    if some current euro players tho...zlatan, morientes, kezman, kluivert, forsell could be a possibility, drogba, etc.

11. yankeeSOT

yankeeSOT New Member

Oct 5, 2003
    San Francisco
    No no no. Eto'o seems hungry. The big problem with Kanu is that he has no competitive spirit. His skill is undeniable, we've all see flashes of his brilliance. There are maybe a half dozen players in the game that can control the ball like he does. But that doesn't amount to anything if the will is missing.
    Eto'o is different. I've seen him play a bit and he has heart, and his shot is a missile coming off his boot.
    A good target. Not a set up player, but a cold blooded asassin around the box. We need a player like him.

12. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Eto'o has impressed me every time I've seen him. He's quick with a great eye for goal, the real finisher that we need. I may be wrong, but I've got a feeling that he's still half owned by Real Madrid, so I don't know what bearing that would have on any transfer.

I still think we need to strengthen at the back before we start buying forwards though.

13. chicago_fan

chicago_fan New Member

Oct 9, 2001
    I'm not sure I agree with you, michaec. Any problems we've had so far have been up front. It's the old story of over-reliance on Henry, even more true this year than last. When Freddie and Pires aren't on form, we rely on TH to set up the goals AND put the ball in the net. That's two jobs, one guy. What's amazing is how often he pulls it off...

I say first priority is a top-drawer strike partner for Henry. Anyone of the usual suspects--Kluivert, Kezman, Eto'o--would make me run screaming through the streets for joy. We need someone who can hold his own in the box when Henry drifts wide.

The backline seems pretty firm, no small thanks to Toure. Depending on the day, our only weakness is RB, where opposing strikers often cut inside on Lauren. Volz will be back before too long and has shown he's ready to be taken seriously. Senderos is back in training.

Maybe all this Mexes talk is true, and if so it can only help us. But being "French defender of the year" is a dubious title given Cygan's work last season.